Ryanair flight from Brussels to Malta diverts to Pisa after passenger fight

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

DIBO

Ryanair flight from Brussels to Malta diverts to Pisa after passenger fight

Post by DIBO »

Nov, 2nd. FR2906 / RYR34NL BRU->Malta diverted to Pisa after a fight among (east european) passengers. 4 pax arrested at Pisa.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryanair ... vert-pisa/

Dutch only, but the videoclip says it all.... low cost gets low life on board
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1901/reisnieuw ... ssel.dhtml

Edit: in English (typical 'The Sun' style ;-) ): https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2119411/s ... ught-down/
FR2906 diversion.JPG
FR2906 diversion.JPG (76.85 KiB) Viewed 5799 times

Sonho1985

Re: Diversions from around the globe (medical, technical, ...)

Post by Sonho1985 »

DIBO wrote: low cost gets low life on board
Nice stigmatising, bro... :roll:
I fly low-cost sometimes, I thing lot's of members here do so.

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Sonho1985 wrote:
Don't read words that aren't written. I know perfectly well how and when to use the adverb 'only'.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

DIBO wrote:
Sonho1985 wrote:
Don't read words that aren't written. I know perfectly well how and when to use the adverb 'only'.
Doesnt make it less stigamatising. It still means: in general .... Did 13 years of LCC flying and the vast majority of people are like any other normal airline passenger

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Doesnt make it less stigamatising. It still means: in general .... Did 13 years of LCC flying and the vast majority of people are like any other normal airline passenger
I agree with Sean here: the vaste majority of LCC's in general behaves normal. Let's say 80-85%. At "normal airlines", This 80-85% becomes 95-100% (my professional experience of three decades on legacy carriers, charters ànd LCC's).

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Passenger wrote:At "normal airlines", This 80-85% becomes 95-100%
Exactly my point, that says it all! Thank you very much for providing these estimates, soundly based on your 3 decades professional experience.

convair

Post by convair »

Passenger wrote:
sean1982 wrote:Doesnt make it less stigamatising. It still means: in general .... Did 13 years of LCC flying and the vast majority of people are like any other normal airline passenger
I agree with Sean here: the vaste majority of LCC's in general behaves normal. Let's say 80-85%. At "normal airlines", This 80-85% becomes 95-100% (my professional experience of three decades on legacy carriers, charters ànd LCC's).
Still, these are merely rough and personal estimates of a subjectively perceived behaviour. I do not have enough LCC experience to give my own perception here.

Stij

Re: Ryanair flight from Brussels to Malta diverts to Pisa after passenger fight

Post by Stij »

Just checked my flight history...

I appear to have flown 698 times in my life, of which

- 161 on Ryanair
- 18 on Easyjet
- 2 on Air Berlin
- 2 on Germaine-wings
- 2 on Wizzair

In total 185 times on LCC, so statistically it's kind of relevant.

I only once experienced an unruly pax on FR: During boarding an old guy that had liquored up a bit to much was very rude to the cabin attendants, something to do with his cabin luggage. After a warning from the cabin attendant and his wife he calmed down and was quiet for the rest of the flight.

To say that 15 to 20% of LCC pax behave not normal is a big exaggeration... Do the math... On average, there must be +-170 pax on every LCC flight, so if 15 to 20% would behave badly that would mean on average 20 to 34 pax would behave badly on EVERY flight... Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I experienced even more unruly (drunk) pax on "normal" long haul flights than on LCC short haul flights.

I believe the % of unruly pax is to be found way below 0.1%, both on "normal" and LCC.

Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Stij wrote:Just checked my flight history...

I appear to have flown 698 times in my life, of which

- 161 on Ryanair
- 18 on Easyjet
- 2 on Air Berlin
- 2 on Germaine-wings
- 2 on Wizzair

In total 185 times on LCC, so statistically it's kind of relevant.

I only once experienced an unruly pax on FR: During boarding an old guy that had liquored up a bit to much was very rude to the cabin attendants, something to do with his cabin luggage. After a warning from the cabin attendant and his wife he calmed down and was quiet for the rest of the flight.

To say that 15 to 20% of LCC pax behave not normal is a big exaggeration... Do the math... On average, there must be +-170 pax on every LCC flight, so if 15 to 20% would behave badly that would mean on average 20 to 34 pax would behave badly on EVERY flight... Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I experienced even more unruly (drunk) pax on "normal" long haul flights than on LCC short haul flights.

I believe the % of unruly pax is to be found way below 0.1%, both on "normal" and LCC.

Cheers,

Stij
Thank you Stij, that's what I meant. In 14 years of professional flying I dealt with about 15 disruptive pax cases. That's probably like 0.01% of all passengers I took from A to B

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

?? DIBO and PASSENGER, where on earth did you get tour figures from? I flew from the age of 18 and I am 65 now at the rate of about 20 flights a year and I have experienced only once an unruly passenger ! And it was on Delta, not exactly an LCC.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

What is happening these days is that now everybody can fly, meaning you also get types of people on board which wouldn't have flown before, occasionally leading to the type of behavior you wouldn't have expected on a plane 15 or 20 years ago.

The days one only saw well-educated, well-groomed, higher class people on a plane are well over, especially on very cheap and short flights to leisure destinations in the south of Europe: gone are the days fellow passengers all looked like guests to the cruise ship's captain's cocktail party: smartly dressed men in suit and tie are increasingly turning into a rarity on many flights and whereas such needn't mean they are of lesser social standards, it does tell you something about how they look upon their travel experience: when people consider the opportunity to fly as just a basic commodity, they will not go to great lengths to help make it the most memorable of experiences either but rather behave as they normally would: for some it will mean they will sink as low as to behave like they would at their local pub indeed, when there's an issue.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Stij wrote:I believe the % of unruly pax is to be found way below 0.1%, both on "normal" and LCC.
I agree with you, Stijn. I only saw one flight wity an unruly passenger, and it was on Thai.

However, to put the figures in perspective, the statistics mentioned above do not relate to unruly pax, but to flights with one or more unruly pax: your figure should thus be multiplied by over 100!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

Inquirer wrote:The days one only saw well-educated, well-groomed, higher class people on a plane are well over,
And thank-you very much for that!

Because that means as well that those well-educated, well-groomed, higher class people can now not only fly for work and for their annual vacation, but as well for short weekend trips to their cottage in Tuscany and therefore choose from even more frequent flights! Their college kids have it much easier to study abroad with Erasmus because they can easily return for Christmas without having to take the bus from Bologna to Brussels.

On top of that! Personally, I'm glad I don't have to board a long haul red eye flight in a dinner jacket but it's OK in more comfy clothes.

For sure there're some stuff I miss, but no way I want to go back to the times before deregulation when a day trip to Milan costed 24.000 BEF in economy...

Thank-you Jimmy Carter, Herb Kelleher, the EU, Sir Freddy Laker, Georges Gutelman, Victor Hasson (EBA Express, remember), Michael O'Leary, Stelios and so many other for democratizing aviation in the US, the EU and the world! I would never have flown 698 times in my life if it weren't for you.

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote:However, to put the figures in perspective, the statistics mentioned above do not relate to unruly pax, but to flights with one or more unruly pax: your figure should thus be multiplied by over 100!
Point taken! But multiplied by 100, we would arrive at 10% and that's to high for sure. For sure not 1 flight out of 10 has unruly pax onboard.

Cheers,

Stij

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

I flew only 4 times, and I had once a passenger who needed to go to the toilet while landing, but that's it. I am pretty sure that this happens not so much. But it is perhaps quite easy to say again that is is again with Ryanair. It can happen on every flight of every company and luckily it doesn't happen too much.

To be fair, if this would have happened 30 years ago, almost nobody would have known this. But these days, with smartphones and wifi almost everywhere, those cases are shared much easier and it gets picked up much by the media... If it happens next week on a flight of SN in business class, we will know it.

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Sadly, reading all the comments above reminds me why I don't visit this site often. There are 14 replies to the original post and NOTHING about the story itself, just a bunch of immature kids bashing each other, like on almost every thread :( I'm only surprised that someone didn't wrote yet something like "this would never have happened on Sabena".
But that's enough for me. Mods, please delete my account as I can't apparently delete it myself. I certainly won't be missed, but I will not miss anything either.
Good bye.

Stij

Post by Stij »

airtrainer wrote:Sadly, reading all the comments above reminds me why I don't visit this site often. There are 14 replies to the original post and NOTHING about the story itself, just a bunch of immature kids bashing each other, like on almost every thread :( I'm only surprised that someone didn't wrote yet something like "this would never have happened on Sabena".
But that's enough for me. Mods, please delete my account as I can't apparently delete it myself. I certainly won't be missed, but I will not miss anything either.
Good bye.
Hi Airtrainer,

it would be a pity of you decided to leave us, but if that's your decision, we'll respect that of course.

If nothing more was mentioned about the incident itself it's probably because no more info was available.

Of course, the discussion between the FCC members and the LCC members is a heated topic that returns every once in a while and this time the discussion evolved into the question "Do these kind of situations happen more in LCC than on FCC?".

To me it wasn't to much of topic so I let it continue and even reacted...
But as a moderator I'm already happy these discussion are now more friendly and constructive than before.

I hope you reconsider your decision, if not... safe flights!

Stij

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Inquirer wrote:What is happening these days is that now everybody can fly, meaning you also get types of people on board which wouldn't have flown before, occasionally leading to the type of behavior you wouldn't have expected on a plane 15 or 20 years ago.

The days one only saw well-educated, well-groomed, higher class people on a plane are well over, especially on very cheap and short flights to leisure destinations in the south of Europe: gone are the days fellow passengers all looked like guests to the cruise ship's captain's cocktail party: smartly dressed men in suit and tie are increasingly turning into a rarity on many flights and whereas such needn't mean they are of lesser social standards, it does tell you something about how they look upon their travel experience: when people consider the opportunity to fly as just a basic commodity, they will not go to great lengths to help make it the most memorable of experiences either but rather behave as they normally would: for some it will mean they will sink as low as to behave like they would at their local pub indeed, when there's an issue.
In my lengthy carreer in aviation which is 50/50 LCC-Legacy, I had to offload 2 disruptive passengers of a "lesser social standard", one LCC and one legacy.
The number of "well-groomed, higher class people" harassing/touching flight attendands over the years is about 20 Legacy/2 LCC.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airtrainer wrote:Sadly, reading all the comments above reminds me why I don't visit this site often. There are 14 replies to the original post and NOTHING about the story itself...
If you are still reading us, Jean-François, here is some real news: the culprit (the guy who was drunk and started the fight) is a Romanian living in Belgium, who was on an Interpol list of wanted people for robbery and reckless driving in Romania. Talks are underway to extradite him from Italy to Romania.
André
ex Sabena #26567