BRU in 2020

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Thomaaas

BRU in 2020

Post by Thomaaas »

I wanted to create a topic, to discuss what new destinations BRU will have/should have by 2020. If this kind of tread already exist, feel free to close/delete this topic, but I thought I would be nice to discuss this in one central topic.

Below a list of routes I think are really missing in the BRU network and which carriers should serve them:

North America:
- BOS: by SN
- SFO or LAX: by UA
- IAH: by UA
- MEX: by AM

South America:
- GIG: by JJ
- GRU: by JJ

Asia:
- HKG: by CX
- PVG: by HU
- ICN: by OZ
- SIN: by SQ
- DEL: by SN

Africa:
- NBO: by SN
- JRO and DAR (triangl flight): by SN
- JNB: by SN.

Feel free to comment and add destinations/airlines :)

BRUpilot

Re: BRU in 2020

Post by BRUpilot »

Nice idea! Although one has to be careful not to be too ambitious. Belgium stays Belgium, Brussels stays Brussels. Small. At least, not that big.

Nevertheless, i agree that there is a big lack of destinations at BRU, that are very BRU-worthy...

In your list:
- BOS, LAX, SFO and IAH: yes sir. For sure one of the middle two. MEX not too sure.
- GIG, GRU: yes. I'm giving LATAM a 75-80% chance to choose BRU as their hub, and then you can expect BSB as well.
- HKG, SIN: yes. PVG: 99% sure that HU starts this route in 2017. DEL for sure not by SN, AI maybe. ICN not too sure.
- JNB: yes, but me guess will be SA. NBO not by SN I think. They just swapped it with mommy LH. JRO and DAR not too sure.

(Btw: as i say 'yes', I mean 'I agree'. Not that i will expect to see this route starting up... or at least not that much.)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

There is one continent missing on the list: ours, Europe! Too many destinations are served only by one carrier, and a little competition would help. Other destinations have been served once, and then abandoned. With the constant increase in air travel, they could be reinstated. I let you guess and make up a list ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

SLM

Post by SLM »

And maybe AIR BELGIUM...who knows!

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Seems like a realistic list for 2020. Only MEX and ICN seem unlikely to me.

AM is a SkyTeam carrier that already serves CDG and AMS. BRU can offers no connection that isn't already available via CDG or AMS and also many transferring passengers to/from BRU itself will already transfer on a flight of AM and the catchment area of BRU partially overlaps with those 2 airports.

OZ serves only 5 destinations in Europe at the moment with many Star hubs in Europe still missing. With them already flying to CDG BRU doesn't seem te be their logical 6th or 7th destination in Europe.

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

sn26567 wrote:There is one continent missing on the list: ours, Europe! Too many destinations are served only by one carrier, and a little competition would help. Other destinations have been served once, and then abandoned. With the constant increase in air travel, they could be reinstated. I let you guess and make up a list ;)
Yes indeed, I'd love to see Norwegian or Volotea at BRU...

Thomaaas

Post by Thomaaas »

sn26567 wrote:There is one continent missing on the list: ours, Europe! Too many destinations are served only by one carrier, and a little competition would help. Other destinations have been served once, and then abandoned. With the constant increase in air travel, they could be reinstated. I let you guess and make up a list ;)
I didn't include Europe indeed, was more thinking of longhaul BRU in 2020. But you are definitely right, lots opportunities in EU still for BRU. What are the odds of Norwegian adding BRU as hub for their low-cost longhaul ops?
BRUpilot wrote:Nice idea! Although one has to be careful not to be too ambitious. Belgium stays Belgium, Brussels stays Brussels. Small. At least, not that big.

Nevertheless, i agree that there is a big lack of destinations at BRU, that are very BRU-worthy...

In your list:
- BOS, LAX, SFO and IAH: yes sir. For sure one of the middle two. MEX not too sure.
- GIG, GRU: yes. I'm giving LATAM a 75-80% chance to choose BRU as their hub, and then you can expect BSB as well.
- HKG, SIN: yes. PVG: 99% sure that HU starts this route in 2017. DEL for sure not by SN, AI maybe. ICN not too sure.
- JNB: yes, but me guess will be SA. NBO not by SN I think. They just swapped it with mommy LH. JRO and DAR not too sure.

(Btw: as i say 'yes', I mean 'I agree'. Not that i will expect to see this route starting up... or at least not that much.)
My list was indeed a wish list, having all these destinations by 2020 would wonderful but BRU is still BRU indeed. MEX by AM is indeed a long shot, but I was just thinking that Mexico is a booming country and economy and MEX would be a logical destination. Only the carrier is a big question, I don't see SN doing MEX and AM has already ops to AMS and CDG and is part of SkyTeam but I don't know who else would perform the flight.
And JNB by SA? Isn't SA in financials problems? I think JNB by SN would be a very nice and logical addition to the SN network, but maybe I'm just dreaming a bit ;)

travellover

Post by travellover »

Why not :

EUROPE :
HEL : SN - 319
TLL : (JP -> EE) / SN
BGO : SN
BTS : SN - 319
SJJ : JP / SN / FR
PRN : SN / FR
SKP : SN / FR
TIA : (TB) + SN / FR

GYD: SN (320) / J2 / FR / TB
TBS : SN (320) / A9 / FR

MIDDLE EAST :
DXB : EK : 773 switched to 380
MCT : WY : 788

NORTH AMERICA :
LAX/ SFO : DY : 788
Cheers

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Actually I wouldn't be surprise that SN takes Nairobi back from Lufthansa, actually I already heard t a couple of time.

HolyNoobCake

Post by HolyNoobCake »

Arnaud Feist on Twitter 10 min. ago.

"Delighted to welcome a direct @HainanAirlines Brussels – Shanghai flight next year, giving growth opportunities to both Belgium & China"

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

travellover wrote:GYD: J2
Baku by J2, how I would love it! 8-) 8-) 8-)
travellover wrote:MCT : WY : 788
It is almost sure the route will be launched in 2017. :D

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Airbus A330 wrote:
Same with PVG by HU. Brussels Airport and Hainan signed a letter of intent in Beijing today to open the route in second half of 2017 (of course such a LoI has no official meaning whatsoever, airports and airlines don't have contracts with eachother on such things anyway, but it does indicate the willingness of Hainan to try again in 2017 after already wanting to launch the route this year).

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

RoMax wrote:
Airbus A330 wrote:
Same with PVG by HU. Brussels Airport and Hainan signed a letter of intent in Beijing today to open the route in second half of 2017 (of course such a LoI has no official meaning whatsoever, airports and airlines don't have contracts with eachother on such things anyway, but it does indicate the willingness of Hainan to try again in 2017 after already wanting to launch the route this year).
PVG-BRU confirmed by none less then mr. Feist himself.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/hainan- ... ect-route/

No details yet on equipment, schedule, start date...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Welcome to Luchtzak, HolyNoobCake!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn26567 wrote:Welcome to Luchtzak, HolyNoobCake!
:? What's HolyNoobCake?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Jetter wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Welcome to Luchtzak, HolyNoobCake!
:? What's HolyNoobCake?
A new member who posted his first message above.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

HolyNoobCake wrote:Arnaud Feist on Twitter:

"Delighted to welcome a direct @HainanAirlines Brussels – Shanghai flight next year, giving growth opportunities to both Belgium & China"
Dear,

This message was already announced a few days ago in an other topic when it was confirmed during the Trade mission in China during the weekend

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

In one of his recent speeches to all employees, Mr Bernard Gustin mentioned that the goal is to reach 45% market share in BRU in 2020. Maybe too ambitious, but exciting times ahead! 8-)

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

^^ That seems like a weird goal to me. Why should SN's results be dependent on the competition? What scenario would Mr Gustin prefer, 20% growth for SN and 30% for BRU or 10% growth for SN and 5% for BRU? Such targets make it seems he prefers the latter which is a terrible mindset imo.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Jetter wrote:^^ That seems like a weird goal to me. Why should SN's results be dependent on the competition? What scenario would Mr Gustin prefer, 20% growth for SN and 30% for BRU or 10% growth for SN and 5% for BRU? Such targets make it seems he prefers the latter which is a terrible mindset imo.
I don't understand that logic. Of all medium and large-sized European airports with a significant homecarrier, SN is by far the 'weakest' at BRU in terms of marketshare. It is logical that they aim to increase that marketshare to get closer to at least 40% and now apparently SN is even more ambitious aiming for 45% (if correct that this is indeed their goal as a company and not just 'a statement').

SN grew by about 12.6% (in pax) in 2014 when BRU grew even faster (14.6%), last year SN grew even more in absolute numbers (slightly over 12% growth again), while overal growth at BRU slowed down to 7%. This year BRU overall has a dip in pax numbers for obvious reasons while SN is growing.
-> what do you think SN prefers? They rather grow at a slower 5-10% with BRU overall not growing at all or at least slower, compared to having a growth rate of 15% and BRU also growing by 15% Of course SN doesn't want their partners to stop growing if it complements their network. But we have to be realistic, most growth comes from LCC's establishing themselves on existing routes.

BRU might not be happy with Vueling folding back and easyJet stopping MXP and SXF, for SN it is great (although ofcourse FR is still there as well). If they can manage to keep FR a bit off in taking over completely, this effectively means SN can increase their market share.

If SN says they want to increase their market share, that is exactly what they mean. Holding off competition within Europe (growing themselves, while trying to keep the others away or at least growing at a slower pace), while increasing their dominance on the long haul market (except Africa, SN currently still is just a small long haul operator at BRU, United is even bigger on the BRU long haul market excl. Africa)