Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

stickshaker

Re: Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Post by stickshaker »

Acid-drop wrote:International, you mean outside europe ?
Leaving 777 and 747 pilots on the side ?

I have been asking to my contact more precision about it he forwarded me the following which is a public statement made by FedEx : "It is the intention of FedEx that intercontinental air operations would, where permitted by Applicable Law, continue to be conducted by FedEx following a transaction, with appropriate handling of obligations with respect to TNT Express’s pilots in accordance with Applicable Law."

Now what does that mean in the end you can only guess.

He told me another public statement made earlier this year > the fact that FedEx wants to take the 3 777 which are still flown by the TNT Guys today which confirms to me someone definitely needs to find an alternative for those guys if they don't want to be left behind without cargo nor working tool.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

apparently ASL/Liège is still hiring 747 pilots.
I know a 737 pilot who has no fear losing his job on the short term...

So your insight about 777 pilots might well be true ... air belgium could hire them
But LGG management still hopes to keep them, as mentioned here: http://www.cargoforwarder.eu/2016/08/01 ... t-tnt-era/
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Anyone has an account to read this ?
http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/ ... pax-market

I guess the chineese flights from LGG are still the most realistic...
But they could also fly from BRU to indian destinations, taking some of the jet airways pax, just like SN ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Acid-drop wrote:some clues, in german
http://www.aerotelegraph.com/air-belgiu ... er-belgien
Flying from LGG or from BRU ?

Stij

Post by Stij »

Acid-drop wrote:some clues, in german
http://www.aerotelegraph.com/air-belgiu ... er-belgien
Executive summary:

They want to start offering low-cost flight to China as from Q1 2017. They don't know whether they'll fly Airbus or Boeing. Not yet decides where they would fly from.

My view:

If it's true... yet another on that tries low cost long haul...
They don't know with what from where... and in 4 months, were in Q1 2017...

Stij

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Stij wrote: If it's true... yet another on that tries low cost long haul...
They don't know with what from where... and in 4 months, were in Q1 2017...

Stij
It indeed needs to go very fast..
Is it difficult to get rights towards China?

Charter, in some way, sounded more realistic (at least to me) than trying to fill Belgium-China flights on your own

It is no Norwegian, there are no connections,...

Of course, I might be wrong (even likely :lol: )

SLM

Post by SLM »

Which destinations in China?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

The same as now, that would be a lot already no ?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Translation of an article in Dutch that just appeared in Travel Magazine

Air Belgium hopes to take off next year

Some Belgian entrepreneurs are working on the creation of a new airline. One of them is the former managing director of the Liege-based TNT Airways, Niky Terzakis. He wants to initiate rotations from next year between Belgium and Asia, especially China and India, wants under the name Air Belgium.

Air Belgium is not a whole new name. In the 80s and 90s of last century a Belgian charter airline already operated under that name. Commissioned by the then travel company Sunair, Air Belgium operated flights from Brussels Airport to holiday resorts around the Mediterranean with two Boeings.

China
According to the plan, the focus of the new airline is China and other cities in the Far East and Southeast Asia. The first flight of Air Belgium should take place in the first or second quarter of 2017 according to founder Terzakis.

Currently being examined is the type of planes to make it happen: from the American manufacturer Boeing or its European counterpart Airbus. The company would only want to focus on low-cost long-haul flights for passengers travelling from China to Europe and vice versa. A further decision is about the airport for that best qualifies: Brussels Airport and Liège Airport.

Not really competition
For Brussels Airlines this does not necessarily mean a major competition since the airline with 19 long haul destinations mainly flies to Africa and North America, followed in March 2017 by Mumbai, India, their first destination in Asia.

In the new projects are mainly involved former employees of TNT Airways, among them the former managing director.

The registered office of the newly established Air Belgium (deed dated May 27th) is located in Ixelles and the initial capital is 5 million, raised by two Hong Kong-based companies: Pioneer TopWorld Ltd. and Sky Master Holdings Limited. Thereof 1,250,000 euros is paid.

In the coming months the business plan will be further developed and the company shall submit a request for an AOC to the Directorate General for Aviation. An AOC is an air operator's certificate or a licence to operate passenger flights.

Luk De Wilde

http://www.travel-magazine.be/nl-be/Pag ... emID/33603
airbelgium_tail.jpg
airbelgium_tail.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 4430 times
Picture from Le Soir
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

In an article in Le Soir, Niky Terzakis speaks about 3-4 flights a week to 3 Chinese destinations, from June 2017, with four aeroplanes.

http://www.lesoir.be/1299346/article/ec ... ur-en-2017
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

With 4 a/c you can do a lot more than that
Ambitious start

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Would really like to see the whole livery and logo :)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

In the current economic and political climate is seems like a huge risk. I wouldnt gamble on it

Stij

Post by Stij »

Could it be they have a contract for the China - LGG charter flights and they want to fill the plane further up with scheduled pax? A bit the JetAirFly model...

It could work: the charter pax to cover (most of) the costs and than the scheduled pax as the icing on the cake?

This way the risk will reduce considerably.

Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Stij wrote:Could it be they have a contract for the China - LGG charter flights and they want to fill the plane further up with scheduled pax? A bit the JetAirFly model...

It could work: the charter pax to cover (most of) the costs and than the scheduled pax as the icing on the cake?

This way the risk will reduce considerably.

Cheers,

Stij
Could be, that would make it more viable. Low cost long haul (and so low yield, not a lot of cargo) seems like a suicide desire to me (specially with 4 B777?), so I hope it aint just gonna be that.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

It makes me a bit smile that they keep mentioning they hesitate on the airport ...
soft pressure to receive good offers ?

for super low cost, it's gonna be harder to find cheaper (and any more flexible for night flights) than LGG for the chineese destinations
and for good connections from India, it's hard to find any better than BRU. Codeshare ?

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

Without a feeding network, they will go after the captive local market .. A sort of Eurowings l/h from bru to Asia "avant la lettre". Not sure they will thrive. It could limit Brussels Airlines growth plans though. I would be surprised if they operated from anywhere else than bru ... Maybe the Eurowings thing is not so bad ? After all if there is a market to fulfill, better Eurowings take care rather than a precarious Air Belgium ?
Last edited by sn-remember on 24 Aug 2016, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

sn-remember wrote:... It could limit Brussels Airlines growth plans though...
couldn't it just be the other way round? if Air Belgium tries some destinations, that'll give some (serious) statistics to SN: which absolotuly not to fly to, some that can be thought avout.
If for instance (I'm just picking some airport here) Air Belgium tries PVG, and that seems to work. Maybe SN can step in and with their network, they could offer a lot more options. hell, why not let Air Belgium operate and just codeshare in the beginning?
(I'm just thinking out loud)

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Not sure I'm a fan of the logo. A bit to cluttered imo. They should simplify it a bit.