Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Acid-drop

Re: Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Post by Acid-drop »

this article seems to imply that nothing will happen until april next year
http://trends.levif.be/economie/entrepr ... 47793.html
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

According to De Tijd, Liege hopes for another airline to take over the tourist traffic from China, but it won't be Air Belgium, as that airline won't be operational before end next year, nor will it favour Liege as home airport (its Brussels or Charleroi, apparently)!

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1473259628

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

While LH did confirm its intention to take over 100% of SN, how could the future of brussels airlines influence (or not) the launch of newcomer Air Belgium?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:While LH did confirm its intention to take over 100% of SN, how could the future of brussels airlines influence (or not) the launch of newcomer Air Belgium?
Not much, I guess... Maybe in time Air Belgium might grow a sustainable operation (at BRU?) but it is too early to make predictions about the company. IF, and that's a big IF, LH is to canabalise SN and Air Belgium has a solid operation, they could offer some long haul destinations to and from BRU as replacement of SN. The Belgian government might even grant them rights to operate to Africa is LH would shift those to other hubs...

If they play it right and SN would be axed by LH, they might become the new 'flag carrier' of Belgium. Maybe they might end up where SN should have ended: Oneworld.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Conti764 wrote:
brusselsairlinesfan wrote:While LH did confirm its intention to take over 100% of SN, how could the future of brussels airlines influence (or not) the launch of newcomer Air Belgium?
Not much, I guess... Maybe in time Air Belgium might grow a sustainable operation (at BRU?) but it is too early to make predictions about the company. IF, and that's a big IF, LH is to canabalise SN and Air Belgium has a solid operation, they could offer some long haul destinations to and from BRU as replacement of SN. The Belgian government might even grant them rights to operate to Africa is LH would shift those to other hubs...

If they play it right and SN would be axed by LH, they might become the new 'flag carrier' of Belgium. Maybe they might end up where SN should have ended: Oneworld.
I really hope for them this project will work and I wish them the best luck to become the new Belgian flag carrier, but the best is perhaps that Air Belgium and SN can live next to each other at BRU, and especially that SN stays SN. But indeed, when LH comes to destroy SN, Air Belgium has a good chance, especially long haul, to become as succesful as SN is right now.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

It's too soon and the aviation market is too volatile to make any predictions about a young start up airline. I think there is a market for a true Belgian carrier (like SN is today, but who knows in future). Right after Sabena's demise there was VG Airlines, but that airline was quite a mess and lacked the organisation behind the operations.

SLM

Post by SLM »

Fingers crossed for Air Belgium!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

And why are Chinese investors better then German investors?

Klausenburg

Post by Klausenburg »

I'm wondering if any of you guys know the other "Belgian airline" (well, somewhat) which is not mentioned in this forum ?

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

The Air Belgium project comes at a perfect timing. I've read many editorials in the Belgian press about how sad it is that we lose -once again- our national carrier to a foreign group, who will probably kill it coldly. A strong and recognizable home carrier is important for BRU, for Belgium as a whole and for Belgians businesses.

Therefor I hope that some Belgian 'captains of industry' get together and decide to invest in a *new* home carrier with the perfect name -much better than Brussels Airlines- : AIR BELGIUM.

I know the chances are rather small and uncertain at this stage of start up, but it was also the case in the aftermath of the Sabena disappearance. I really, really hope this project succeeds and that it attracts Belgian investors to create a new flag carrier.

Maybe this project just needed the electroshock of losing SN.

Fingers crossed.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Boavida wrote:The Air Belgium project comes at a perfect timing. I've read many editorials in the Belgian press about how sad it is that we lose -once again- our national carrier to a foreign group, who will probably kill it coldly.
And I read a lot of articles in specialized press (aviation/travel/tourism) that contradict those predictions from "general" journalists who, by the way, get most of their "inside information" from trade union delegates.
Boavida wrote:A strong and recognizable home carrier is important for BRU, for Belgium as a whole and for Belgians businesses.
Agree.
Boavida wrote:Therefor I hope that some Belgian 'captains of industry' get together and decide to invest in a *new* home carrier with the perfect name -much better than Brussels Airlines- : AIR BELGIUM.
They can't. They did in 2002, by starting Brussels Airlines. But they've failed twice since then. Davignon asked them for additional funds in 2008 ("kapitaalverhoging / augmentation du capital"). They couldn't, hence Lufthansa stepped in for 65.000.000 €. Davignon asked them again for new funds in 2012. They couldn't, hence Lufthansa loaned SN Airholding 100.000.000 €.
Boavida wrote:...and decide to invest in a *new* home carrier with the perfect name -much better than Brussels Airlines-: AIR BELGIUM.
Brussels Airlines wasn't established to become Belgium's flag carrier, operating at BRU and ANR and CRL and LGG and OST. Brussels Airlines was established to keep Brussels online, to maintain as much employment as possible in and near Brussels, and to have a Belgian-based carrier as leading carrier at Belgium's capital city. So far, it seems that only this third aim will be lost. Except when Lufthansa takes over control at nv/sa SN Airholding, but keeps nv/sa Brussels Airlines as a legal entity as it is today = changing it into a Belgium based company with 100% foreign ownership, but still with Belgian-registered OO-aircraft.
Boavida wrote:Maybe this project just needed the electroshock of losing SN.
An electroshock doens't help to boost an airline. Only cash helps. Cash needed to lease aircraft, cash needed to hire staff before the first flight takes off, cash to get an AOC, cash to keep the airline running. So far, Air Belgium seems to be on her way to get enough cash for one long haul aircraft (could be a A330 or a B777, they say). Which is extremely good, off course, but which will be too little unfortunately to compete against Eurowings at BRU (= the Eurowings from your doom scenario).

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

With 2 huge actors in BRU the market seems closed forever now no ?
Air belgium was just a niche airline to match an existing niche market for chineese tourists... wasnt it the original plan ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Acid-drop wrote:With 2 huge actors in BRU the market seems closed forever now no ?
Air belgium was just a niche airline to match an existing niche market for chineese tourists... wasnt it the original plan ?
Was? Am I missing something?

brusselsairlinesfan

btw, what are the next steps regarding Air Belgium?

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Air Belgium just launched its (limited) website with some more info. I must say it looks good and professional. I hope this project succeeds!

http://www.airbelgium.com

SLM

Post by SLM »

Do they know to which destinations they would like to fly? (PVG?)
Tx.

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Their Linkedin is online as well...
https://www.linkedin.com/company/air-belgium

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

SLM wrote:Do they know to which destinations they would like to fly? (PVG?) Tx.
From their website: "...Our ambition is to offer competitive direct intercontinental scheduled flights from Belgium to Asia initially. Our launch date is yet to be confirmed however not anticipated before the June 2017..."

brusselsairlinesfan

Can't wait for some more news... I think they got to speed it up a little bit if they want to be fully ready in June '17!

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:Can't wait for some more news... I think they got to speed it up a little bit if they want to be fully ready in June '17!
I checked their career page, they are looking for some managers etc. especially people who can start see people so they can start searching for pilots, stewards, etc etc. Once they have their personnel, things can go quite fast I think. You can be sure that they are already looking for some planes and destinations.

By the way: if they want to start around june '17, you can perhaps start booking next year, so there will be news before that I think (and hope, really want to see how and what this is going to be)