Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Air Belgium: a rebirth?

Post by Inquirer »

BRU wrote:Depends on the bilateral agreement in place. This is the same reason why for example Qatar Cargo is choosing LUX as their European Hub: because they have these almost unlimited flights and 5th freedom rights, which they do not have somewhere else. So is a very important factor.

Secondly, it is also how the civil aviation grants the obtained rights to their respecive airlines. For BRU, which they consider a secondary hub, they only allow one Chinese carrier to operate. For other cities that might be more. So although technically it is possible according to the bilateral agreement to have more Chinese carriers operating flights, the governement is blocking that.
I understands all that, but it does not really answer any of my questions:

1- are more than 1 Belgian airlines allowed to serve the PRC then, or will either VLM or Air Belgium have to drop out, since they're fishing in the same pond, it seems...

2- what if the bilateral or its interpretation is changed (under pressure of other bigger players like the Lufthansa group which has a JV with Air China and/or economic demand): how big is the commitment of Chinese investors in an expensive Belgian operation, the moment they can move it to much cheaper China again in the wake of a more liberal agreement?

If the only basis for an airline is a workaround around a legal hurdle, it's not based on a very solid platform, I'd say.

cnc

Post by cnc »

nordikcam wrote: Does it mean we will never see an China Eastern or Air China Aircraft at BRU because HU is operating ?
no and nobody is saying that. BRU is saying they are bound to the willingness of the chinese gov.

LJ

Post by LJ »

nordikcam wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 11:06 Does it mean we will never see an China Eastern or Air China Aircraft at BRU because HU is operating ?
They cannot fly from PVG and PEK. However, the other airlines can get the authorisation for any other airport in China, thus you it's not completely impossible. The situation is similar to AMS where they have both China Eastern and China Southern, but none on the same route.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

LJ wrote: 09 Jan 2017, 17:01
nordikcam wrote: 05 Jan 2017, 11:06 Does it mean we will never see an China Eastern or Air China Aircraft at BRU because HU is operating ?
They cannot fly from PVG and PEK. However, the other airlines can get the authorisation for any other airport in China, thus you it's not completely impossible. The situation is similar to AMS where they have both China Eastern and China Southern, but none on the same route.
Perfectly clear ! One more question...for PEK and PVG where HU is the operating airline...or will be for PVG...could theorically SN open those two routes ? Thx.

teach

Post by teach »

LJ wrote: 09 Jan 2017, 17:01
AMS even has three: they've got Xiamen Airlines too.

LJ

Post by LJ »

nordikcam wrote: 09 Jan 2017, 17:13Perfectly clear ! One more question...for PEK and PVG where HU is the operating airline...or will be for PVG...could theorically SN open those two routes ? Thx.
BRU-PEK and BRU-PVG will be open to a Belgian and a Chinese airline. Thus if SN is smart, they request authourity then block the route for Air Belgium and/or VLM for at least a few months. They don't have to fly the route, just getting the authority would be sufficient until the Belgian or Chinese government become annoyed and one of them revokes the authority. However, it may delay VLMs or Air Belgiums plans enough to postpone it long enough to make the venture unviable.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Why do y'all ignore the fact that there were successfull chineese flights from LGG ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Any news regarding Air Belgium ?

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

80 designers get the chance to design the new uniform in 1 month time.
Pictures from Air Belgium...
Attachments
16388165_10154380684724389_458388648337128059_n.png
16388165_10154380684724389_458388648337128059_n.png (332.67 KiB) Viewed 4875 times

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

I would like to see that picture of the A340 in full livery!

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Boavida wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 11:59 I would like to see that picture of the A340 in full livery!
As soon as we have it, we will post it ;-)

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

From what I heard, AB would be interested to be based in LGG, but due to walloon airport policy (freight in LGG, pax in CRL), and perhaps pressures from Fedex/TNT to remain the sole "major" operator, there would be a stop from the region... And as CRL is not able to handle A340 (rwy length).. that leaves few choices..

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Shoot yourself in the foot, great strategy
I guess they'll destroy the pax terminal if its officially useless ? :roll:
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

A company flying big A340's to Asia should and can have only 1 base in Belgium and that's BRU. In BRU they can connect to anywhere in Europe or even Africa. Where's to connect when you arrive in a tiny regional airport like LGG (or ANR, OST,...)? Nowhere.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Are you serious there ? :D

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Boavida wrote: 29 Jan 2017, 13:43 A company flying big A340's to Asia should and can have only 1 base in Belgium and that's BRU. In BRU they can connect to anywhere in Europe or even Africa. Where's to connect when you arrive in a tiny regional airport like LGG (or ANR, OST,...)? Nowhere.
They are not seeking to have any connection, it would be point to point to bring the chinese tourist to Europe. Liège would actually be perfect for this purpose. It seem clear that they will have to choose between Liege, Brussels and Charleroi in the long term in case CRL invest to have a proper operational runway for wideboddy

teach

Post by teach »

Am I seeing this wrong, or did they give the A340 and A350-like 'mask'?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Nevihta wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 16:52 From what I heard, AB would be interested to be based in LGG, but due to walloon airport policy (freight in LGG, pax in CRL), and perhaps pressures from Fedex/TNT to remain the sole "major" operator, there would be a stop from the region... And as CRL is not able to handle A340 (rwy length).. that leaves few choices..
I suspect this message was meant to shake the tree and open people's (and journalists) eyes before it's too late...
Chineese flights existed for years without too much problem from CRL and the region. They were planned to restart for this summer already (with AB or another airline, hard to say), so unless there are new discussions and new conclusions, we don't have much news here, do we ?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Acid-drop wrote: 30 Jan 2017, 11:45
Nevihta wrote: 28 Jan 2017, 16:52 From what I heard, AB would be interested to be based in LGG, but due to walloon airport policy (freight in LGG, pax in CRL), and perhaps pressures from Fedex/TNT to remain the sole "major" operator, there would be a stop from the region... And as CRL is not able to handle A340 (rwy length).. that leaves few choices..
I suspect this message was meant to shake the tree and open people's (and journalists) eyes before it's too late...
Chineese flights existed for years without too much problem from CRL and the region. They were planned to restart for this summer already (with AB or another airline, hard to say), so unless there are new discussions and new conclusions, we don't have much news here, do we ?
Chineese flights from CRL?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Acid-drop wrote: 30 Jan 2017, 11:45
There we go, its already confirmed.
8 flights a week in LGG with U- tour/Vim
How AB would fit in that picture ?