BRU Winter 2016-2017: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: BRU Winter 2016-17: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis »

theeuropean wrote:It seems like Air Moldova has confirmed service to Chisinau 2 times weekly on Tuesday and Thursday from 11 October.
Times are:

Tuesday
departure from Chisinau at 06:30; arrival to Brussels at 08:30
departure from Brussels at 09:20; arrival to Chisinau – 13:00

Thursday
departure from Chisinau at 07:30; arrival to Brussels – 09:30
departure from Brussels – 10:20; arrival to Chisinau – 14:00

link: http://www.airmoldova.md/news-records-en/4226/
The reason to attract Air Moldova is transfer pax. BRU is currently working on Middle and East Europe to attract more carriers and pax to BRU to transfer them afterwards to The States. This is a big case at the moment.
Boston is currently still in the pic but uncertain when it can be launched.
SN is an important player in this development together with attracting new carriers like Air Moldova.

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Atlantis wrote:
theeuropean wrote:It seems like Air Moldova has confirmed service to Chisinau 2 times weekly on Tuesday and Thursday from 11 October.
Times are:

Tuesday
departure from Chisinau at 06:30; arrival to Brussels at 08:30
departure from Brussels at 09:20; arrival to Chisinau – 13:00

Thursday
departure from Chisinau at 07:30; arrival to Brussels – 09:30
departure from Brussels – 10:20; arrival to Chisinau – 14:00

link: http://www.airmoldova.md/news-records-en/4226/
The reason to attract Air Moldova is transfer pax. BRU is currently working on Middle and East Europe to attract more carriers and pax to BRU to transfer them afterwards to The States. This is a big case at the moment.
Boston is currently still in the pic but uncertain when it can be launched.
SN is an important player in this development together with attracting new carriers like Air Moldova.
So an arrival of Oman Air at Brussels Airport becomes more realistic than one might think. Interesting times ahead for sure.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

EY will fly again 8 times a week from AUH to BRU in Winter 2016-17. Day 7 will see two flights !

Source : BRU Airport

AntLand

Post by AntLand »

Hello,

Just for info.

An Interview in L'echo of this weekend with Arnaud Feist describe the pipe for BRU in terms of new destinations.

- in short term (with Brussels Airlines) : He's waiting about a decision for Mumbai
- in discussion (with Star Alliance partners) : Sao Paulo, Houston, Singapor, Johannesbourg, Hong Kong.
- in discussion (before 22 March) with Hainan (but seems stopped) : Shanghaï

Nothing more about Mascate or Libreville ...
Last edited by AntLand on 01 Aug 2016, 13:57, edited 3 times in total.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Welcome to the forum Antland!

Stij

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

AntLand wrote:Hello,

Just for info.

An Interview in L'echo of this weekend with Arnaud Feist describe the pipe for BRU in terms of new destinations.

- in short term (with Brussels Airlines) : He's waiting about a decision for Mumbai
- in discussion (with Star Alliance partners) : Sao Paulo, Houston, Singapor, Johannesbourg, Hong Kong.

Nothing more about Mascate or Libreville ...
Interesting ! Thx for sharing...
Well if Mumbai could be with SN, I guess Houston with UA, Singapore with SQ, Jo'burg with SA. But which partners of *A for Hong-Kong (CX ? ) and for Sao Paulo ? Latam is in Oneworld...or SAO with SQ ?

SN was thinking about Lagos before LBV no ?

PjVangerven

Post by PjVangerven »

I don't understand why UA would opt for Houston and not SFO or LAX. Much more travelers to California than to Texas or is it for the transit passengers to South America?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

PjVangerven wrote:I don't understand why UA would opt for Houston and not SFO or LAX. Much more travelers to California than to Texas or is it for the transit passengers to South America?
IAH is the largest hub of United and indeed their gateway to Latin America while SFO and LAX are not only much smaller hubs for UA, their location in relation to BRU also makes them less attractive for connections. So yes local demand is high, but these are long routes and transfer potential is relatively small. SFO/LAX-BRU might work, but IAH is the safer option for United (SFO or LAX would be more something for SN to try).

There is also the story of oil. IAH is not only attractive for transfers beyond IAH, but also from Texas itself via BRU to other oil destinations. SN serving Libreville and Lagos (seemingly next on their wishlist for Africa) would definitely help in attracting a direct Houston connection.

On the short term (as in this winter or next summer) I don't think we should expect IAH. Next up will be the double EWR connection, which as supposed to happen this summer but cancelled due to March 22. I assume they will try again next summer.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

nordikcam wrote: Well if Mumbai could be with SN, I guess Houston with UA, Singapore with SQ, Jo'burg with SA. But which partners of *A for Hong-Kong (CX ? ) and for Sao Paulo ? Latam is in Oneworld...or SAO with SQ ?
In the interview he lists these destinations, followed by saying that some of these would be operated by Star members. So for GRU I assume LATAM (which was earlier said to consider BRU as a sort of European hub, but even without that materialising GRU seems like a logical choice eventually...although the Brazilian economy is not really booming lately). For Hong Kong either Cathay or who knows Hong Kong Airlines (which has long expressed plans for flights to Europe, I believe they had a short-lived adventure in London with an all-business class route, but they are definitely thinking about it again and they'll start to have A350's coming in next year).
nordikcam wrote: SN was thinking about Lagos before LBV no ?

SN always said either India (Mumbai) or Lagos/Libreville...no doubt where the choice was heading to ;)

babolat-blast

Post by babolat-blast »

According to luchtvaartnieuws.nl and other international media Scoot (the LCC of Singapore Airlines) is planning to fly to 3-4 European cities in 2017. One of it's managers claims it won't be a 'traditional European destination'... Could Brussels be a possibility?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

We can hope but my guess will be BHX or STN, CGN ...
If Scoot lands in BRU that would explain the first mentioned SIN destination to return, this combined with Eurowings, a low cost star alliance hub at BRU would make sense ...
But if we have to embrace this ;)

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

AntLand wrote:
Dear AntLand,

About your first line: with one of the new airlines and new destination, the talks are very constructive and positive. It will be not for Winter but if everything will be ok it can be for during 2017.

About your second line: Hainan really would like to open this new destination to BRU with their B787 but with the current thread in Europe, Asian people are not so eager to fly that much to Europe. Not sure if it will be for this Winter as the Chinese are very secure in it and they don't want to take risks. Don't forget that they flew already ex-BRU to Shanghai at the beginning but that after a couple of months it was stopped. If they will fly it again, it has to be good this time.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Atlantis wrote:
AntLand wrote:
Dear AntLand,

About your first line: with one of the new airlines and new destination, the talks are very constructive and positive. It will be not for Winter but if everything will be ok it can be for during 2017.

About your second line: Hainan really would like to open this new destination to BRU with their B787.
Interesting and thx for this information. But I try to read between the lines, that's the game ! I imagine you cannot say more :roll:

First line : if it's a new airline...you're speaking about Latam, Singapore, South african ( it came in BRU time ago with a monday flight if I remember wel ) or Cathay/Hong Kong Airlines. UA is an old Partner and LA is not a *A member !
I know it does not mean Houston is out ! It could arrive later. SQ came too...and I did not hear they will drop BCN on the way to GRU...could it be Hong Kong ?
!
Second line : we could wait summer 2017 to see HU flying Shanghai ! Thx again !

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

You are welcome.

In this stage of the negotiations and the very good far stage in it, it is wise to not say too much about it. In aviation you are also absolutely not sure. But for sure it will be an excellent add for BRU.

About Hainan. Yeah, be sure that they will come. No doubts about it. They have now the needed aircraft for it. The only matter is the "European atmosphere" we have now who is not attractive for them and too risky.
But it's only a matter of time.

AntLand

Post by AntLand »

Hello,

Thanks for your welcome

My interpretation is a little bit different but It s only my personal point of view.
It s an interview of the Brussels airport boss about an other subject.
So I think It s Also a bit political, maybe some projects are in advanced négociations maybe other are Just marketing (to show that brussels still Be interesting and continue to intéressed new investors).

Indeed We can not reasonably believe that all this projects Will Be concret in 6 months.

At least, It s good to see the dynamism.

Sorry for the english my automatic french dictionary is a pity....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

About India, Austrian Airlines has just signed a codeshare agreement with Air India, which now connects Vienna with Delhi on aircraft operated by the latter. But still nothing about SN...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Although new intercontinental routes are by far the most prestigious to win, I wonder if there's any other news on new European routes from BRU for next winter, other than the one by Air Moldovia?

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

Could Sao Paulo happen with Azul potentially? I know they are not in Star Alliance but they own most of TAP, work with Jetblue (same owner) and if I'm not mistaken Lufthansa has a share in Jetblue (or did they sell all or part of it?) As well as they codeshare with United as well.

The only thing is their hub is in Campinas some 100km away from Sao Paulo and is not in the main airport of Guarulhos airport.

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Ryanair's Brussels-Bratislava route will go to Charleroi from 11 November. Ex-BRU the service is operated daily while ex-CRL it will decrease to 3 times a week.

Sidenote: Slovakia hosts the EU-presidency until 31 December.