Lufthansa buys the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Lufthansa buys the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines

Post by sn26567 »

Lufthansa, which owns 45% of the shares of Brussels Airlines, will decide on 27 April whether to take over the remaining 55%, writes German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung this morning (13 April).

According to the newspaper (a most respected one in Germany), Lufthansa is likely to go ahead. It has an option to buy the shares, but never used that right. However, it appears now that Lufthansa is convinced that the time has come to take Brussels Airlines under full control.

Officially, according to the agreement with SN Airholding (owner of 55% of Brussels Airlines), Lufthansa must give an answer during the second quarter of 2016.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Apuneger

Re: Lufthansa to decide on 27 April whether to take over all of Brussels Airlines

Post by Apuneger »

Link to an article in newspaper De Tijd: http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1460535887

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

sn26567

Re: Lufthansa to decide on 27 April whether to take over all of Brussels Airlines

Post by sn26567 »

consoleflood wrote:https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/audience-3

Maybe somebody already knows...
Some people here were sceptical about this meeting between Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr and King Philip. I was the first to ask whether something was brewing:

https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 46#p332586
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

If confirmed indeed, this is a HUGE vote of confidence in the company and the product Brussels Airlines stands for.

I would have placed all of my bets on them calling the option right up to the terror attacks (even up to a week later, as these were exceptional events), but all the self-inflicted damage that comes thereafter (police actions, air controler's strikes, what else to come) can hardly be called one off events any more, so Belgium really doesn't do itself a favuor here, if it wants to present itself as investor-friendly.

Shows once again a multinational looks through all the exceptionals and straight to the fundamentals, but still: they must be pretty convinced about the business case to take them into consolidation at the darkest of times. Of course, those aimed also create big opportunities, so most interesting times ahead, for sure.

De Tijd talks about a cash injection of some €250M for the holding (to buy out the remaining shareholders most likely).

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

The fact that the CEO went to the King does mean something. The CEO doesn't go to the King to say that they aren't buying the rest of the shares, I suppose...

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Inquirer wrote:If confirmed indeed, this is a HUGE vote of confidence in the company and the product Brussels Airlines stands for.
I think it s an indication about the financial problems SN is facing, De Tijd hints at this by the way in their article. It is no coincidence that suddenly a decision is taken head over heals. If LH wants BRU and SN's African network they will need to inject some money urgently, otherwise it could be game over.
As for the product, I still think it will be SN Africa, but Eurowings for the European network.

Crosswind

Post by Crosswind »

There is no urgency. I say again : there is no urgency concerning the financial situation of Brussels Airlines. What is against true is that the take-over may leads to a positive trend, and this seems urgent in regards to the lasts events...

b720

Post by b720 »

Their financial situation may still be under control; however if the current situation does not change, I am not sure how it will reflect into the finances of SN. All involved must find a solution that takes BRU from being a military zone into a commercial civil airport. No one wants to fly into, out of, or through an army barrack!
I don't really see the justification for the customs officials at arrivals carrying automatic weapons! Nor FED Police at the gate upon arrival of intra schengen flights. Both cases witnessed last Sunday. To remain on topic, Belgian market might eventually start flying with SN despite of all the obstacles and 3 hour in advance advice, strikes, closure of the roads leading to the airport etc.. but people from outside Belgium will avoid BRU and environ for a very long time. This will have a very negative impact on the finances and survival of SN.

Crosswind

Post by Crosswind »

b720, I do fully agree. It's time to bring operations back to normal. No more A201 trafic jam, clear info on how to get there, to park his/her car, to drop off at the airport. Focus on making the check-in ops more efficient, and last but not least cancel this stupid agreement for a while.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Several German press sources now confirm Lufthansa will call the option to integrate B.air in full at the end of the month. They also report there is no direct relation to the financial consequences of the terror attacks on BRU, but rather it's the result of a more aggressive acquisition strategy from Lufthansa, evidenced by the fact they are reportedly also considering buying (part) of SAS at the same time!

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Inquirer wrote: they are reportedly also considering buying (part) of SAS at the same time!
If I am not mistaken there was already participation/ joint venture in the past, which ended in tears about 3 years ago isn't it?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Are you not confusing with the codeshare of SAS and Lufthansa on routes between Scandinavia and Germany, a codeshare which ended at around the time you mention? I don't think Lufthansa has ever owned (part of) SAS?

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Inquirer wrote:Are you not confusing with the codeshare of SAS and Lufthansa on routes between Scandinavia and Germany, a codeshare which ended at around the time you mention? I don't think Lufthansa has ever owned (part of) SAS?
Correct: SAS and Lufthansa have been in a joint-venture up until 31 May 2013. This JV applied on Scandinavia-German routes. From then on, both carriers operated continued their cooperation on a codeshare basis.

Personal note in light of today's aviation landscape: the JV might have been cancelled to prepare for a Eurowings approach which has nothing to do with Lufthansa 'mainline' product...

In the past there have been many reports about Lufthansa buying (a stake) in SAS. It got one very very close to that but then there was the financial crisis, the bmi-fiasco followed by bad results at SAS and the critical meetings in 2012 to save the airline.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

skumfiduse wrote:In the past there have been many reports about Lufthansa buying (a stake) in SAS. It got one very very close to that but then there was the financial crisis, the bmi-fiasco followed by bad results at SAS and the critical meetings in 2012 to save the airline.
And then also SAS and Lufthansa owned British Midland together for some time...
André
ex Sabena #26567

domtom

Post by domtom »

sn26567 wrote:
consoleflood wrote:https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/audience-3

Maybe somebody already knows...
Some people here were sceptical about this meeting between Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr and King Philip. I was the first to ask whether something was brewing:

https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 46#p332586
Why on earth would he deliver the news to the king?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

domtom wrote:Why on earth would he deliver the news to the king?
As said before: a matter of courtesy to the head of state.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Another financial news source in Germany (handelsblatt) is reporting today "the deal is done", pending "final board approval, possibly already at the end of this month".
Currently taxation of the outstanding shares seems to be the underway.

http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen ... 39924.html

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

What a joke is that article :D

Belgian people happy with it? No, not really. Certainly the crew of SN, they are really against it.

Aviation lovers? Perhaps. I don't know what other people think about it (depends perhaps whether they like Lufthansa or not, ...)

I'm certainly not happy with it, giving the fact that Lufthansa is'nt really clear what the direction of SN will be if they have all the shares. Will SN still call SN? What with the destinations? Is Lufthansa going to keep the African network of SN?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Just a question, yuqu12: what would make you happy, if I may ask?

You have one of the most solid airline groups in Europe reportedly willing to buy your employer in full and thus provide you personally with a pretty decent job security, right at a moment when 'certain events' have happened at your home airport which would be lethal to an estimated 9 out of 10 airlines.

Short term, I'd say this news should be a god's gift for you, unless you know of somebody else standing ready with a couple of suitcases of cash money to provide the needed finances and thus continuity.

If and when they do indeed decide to buy b.air, it will certainly be because it fits their wider strategic growth plans as they have had ample time to draw them up and look at how to best integrate you in them, so I'd expect them to be able to give you answers to most of the questions you have in the weeks/months after the announcement of their decision.

I doubt it though they'd be willing to pay a lot of money for your airlines in order to shrink it or close it down even; in fact, if that were to be their plan, the recent events just made that so much cheaper to execute then, as they'd just have to wait for it to be done naturally! The fact they will go ahead regardless, gives me an hint that shrinking is not on the table, quite on the contrary even.
Last edited by Inquirer on 14 Apr 2016, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.