Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

webstermc

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by webstermc »

b720 wrote:The situation is untenable. If things at BRU do not change, SN can not continue.
And what is untenable?

Today the situation is much better. I've heared 3 people who went to the airport today. And everything went smooth. Yesterday there was a problem. Today it's solved. I don't think BRU can do much more about that.

Now it's just the faith of the people that needs to come back. And nobody knows when this will be.

But I had a friend who was working in Brussels on 22th of march and who was very frightened that day. Today she took a plane from BRU (he had to wait > 3h before her flight, but that was because he arrived way to early. Almost no waiting time for the security checks )

convair

Post by convair »

webstermc wrote:
b720 wrote:The situation is untenable. If things at BRU do not change, SN can not continue.
And what is untenable?

Today the situation is much better. I've heared 3 people who went to the airport today. And everything went smooth. Yesterday there was a problem. Today it's solved. I don't think BRU can do much more about that.

Now it's just the faith of the people that needs to come back. And nobody knows when this will be.

But I had a friend who was working in Brussels on 22th of march and who was very frightened that day. Today she took a plane from BRU (he had to wait > 3h before her flight, but that was because he arrived way to early. Almost no waiting time for the security checks )
Good to learn there was an improvement. But it needs to be confirmed in the next days and allow l/f to climb back to normal levels: that'll be the real test.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

convair wrote:
webstermc wrote:
And what is untenable?

Good to learn there was an improvement. But it needs to be confirmed in the next days and allow l/f to climb back to normal levels: that'll be the real test.
Maybe but I realy think they will have to stop dose security check because they will lose a big part to other airports.
And for shure the high yield passengers!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I realy hope if this security check stays at Brussels Airport that for example Lufhansa starts some flights from Antwerp to Frankfurt or Munich.
Also think that if they restart the Liege Munich flight today it could work.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Please talk about the ATC strike in the correct topic!

b-west

Post by b-west »

The A201 is currently closed because of a suspicious car in the checkpoint... Dovo is on its way apparently

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

lumumba wrote:Also think that if they restart the Liege Munich flight today it could work.
+1 :-) (I live 10 minutes from LGG)

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

Whatever about the need for a security check, please tell me why is beyond the ability of the security staff to read a mobile boarding pass?

I can take any of the 100s of booking confirmations I have received, change dates, flight numbers and whatever else inside my email software, print it and present it as a legitimate document. I don't even need photoshop skills. But that's somehow more legitimate than a Passbook boarding pass?

b-west

Post by b-west »

From experience I've noticed that mobile boarding passes, pdf files, e-tickets, or even pictures on the phone of a reservation are accepted to enter the pre-check tent. I guess the print was asked because in the end it's easier, to show and read, but it isn't strictly enforced.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

citybirdva wrote:Arrived on SN2638 yesterday evening... 4 pax (myself included).
48 pax on the flight out of BRU...

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Time to reclose the airport because of these freakin' ATC's???

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

thalenoi wrote:Time to reclose the airport because of these freakin' ATC's???
Zero passengers on SN3721 to Madrid : cancelled by order of BGATC. Thanks guys for your contribution to the healing of the Belgian economy.
André
ex Sabena #26567

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Guys, had my first flight today to/from BRU after the attacks; flights had been booked two months ago so I had to fly - otherwise I might have taken the train ...

I came in from FRA this morning on LH touching down around 8.20am, pretty normal situation at the gate, in the A pier and the baggage hall (there are more policemen in those areas in FRA actually than in BRU!). Once you are out of the baggage hall there is just a small corridor to the exit and once you are out of the building there is no way back in, here you see military and police for the first time actually. Taxi rank is some 50m to the left from where it used to be and here you feel for the first time it is actually more empty than usual - no waiting at the taxi rank.

On the way back this evening it went surprisingly smooth. My flight with LH is at 19h05, so I left the office in the EU quarter by taxi around 16.45. Arrived at the first checkpoint before the parking at 17.00, that went fast, just a quick look in the car by the police, than some waiting with the taxi to enter the parking, finally deboarding the taxi at 17.10. Walking to the departure area in the tents and a pre-check of boarding pass and passport, than the first security scan inside the tent at around 17.15. This took 5 minutes, as I had checked in already before (you need a printed boarding pass!) I could than walk directly via the stairs to the Connector and the normal security controls, arrived there at 17.25. Quite a long line here, but fast lane is available, so I could use that one and had cleared security at 17.35, arriving in the b.air lounge 5 minutes later, where I had one hour left before I will go to the gate now.

All in all not as bad as expected. Congratulations to all the staff - all very friendly and doing a great job!

If it is like this on all days flying from BRU is still an option for me in the weeks to come as well and I will try to gradually go back to leaving the office later than today :-).
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

I'm sorry if it's already mentioned anywhere, but has Brussels Airport actually released traffic figures of March 2016? I'm actually quite curious...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BRUpilot wrote:I'm sorry if it's already mentioned anywhere, but has Brussels Airport actually released traffic figures of March 2016? I'm actually quite curious...
No. They have more important things to do.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Infrabel is looking at reopening the old train station in the old terminal as an alternative to the closed (but undamaged) new train station right under the damaged check in hall: the advantage would be that the trains would then arrive under what will likely become the first part of the newly reopened check in zones.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/transport ... 1460700504

b-west

Post by b-west »

Did a "little" walk from the security checkpoint all the way to terminal A yesterday around 17.00. No queue at the security checkpoint outside the tent, 3 lines open inside the tent with 10 to 15 people in each line. On to the second tent, which holds desks of the tour operators, check in machines, the PRM desk, and where even customs has set up shop. The next tent has the SN ticketening desk and tons of people who were waiting for the check-in for their flight to open. The airport has foreseen ample seating and free water, they also cheered up the place a bit with trees and plants ,and of course there are the #BrusselsTribute posters with touching messages being added still. The tent with the check-in counters was moderately busy, with SN occupying most of the right hand side of the counters. Swissport and Aviapartner staff are on hand to take the check-in luggage to the far end of the tent. It's not perfect, but for a temporary check-in hastily put together it looks all rather good. The stairs to Connector smell of sweat :D It's rather long and winding, I heard someone joking the red cross should set up a medical post halfway up the stairs. Security lines at Connector were LONG! They stretched over the whole length of the building, several rows thick. Only six security lines were open, more were definitely needed. Talked to G4S and heard a lot of people were on sick leave. Once you clear the epic lines, it's back to normality. Terminal A is bustling with activity, with lots of passengers going through the stores, having a drink or enjoying the view from The Loft

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Just went through check in at BRU and indeed, things look to work without any problem now.
Terminal looks pretty crowded almost as before, so I have a feeling people are starting to fly again: in the end whatever the terrible things which happened at BRU, they can happen pretty much everywhere and one can not stay on the ground indefinitely, thus putting life and business on hold forever.
Lets hope for a quick return to (new) normal, for all people relying on this airport to make their living.

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

As I pass through the train station every day to go to college, I always keep an eye on things that may have changed there. Today I saw about 20 man putting up some temporary signage and seriously checking the tracks and platforms... The opening can't be far of from now if you ask me.

Also, a bit off-topic but still, the station is being renamed. Its former name "Brussel Nationaal luchthaven" is now changed to "Brussels Airport Zaventem", in both the airport station itself (signage) and the announcements at other stations in Belgium. A good change if you ask me, it will be more clearly for foreign passengers.

b-west

Post by b-west »

Last I heard the station may reopen on Monday. I had noticed the name change on the TV sceens in leuven station already. Good thing. Everybody calls the airport either Zaventem or Brussels airport. You know, when I was little, I actually thought the word Zaventem meant airport
:)