Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Re-opening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Inquirer »

Let's hope you are right.
The total radio silence we're currently living for the past 24hours might indeed hint at some coordinated good news from both airport and airlines... or it might mean total chaos currently rules and they don't know how to bring the bad news.
We'll see.

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

Nope,

They are filling the page now. 1st of april, still not flying from BRU:

https://static.brusselsairlines.com/_cu ... omBRU.html

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I guess they'll focus on long haul first no ?
More revenue ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Well a few days ago I got flamed for being direspectful, etc.. with my comments of so slow reopening of BRU and lack of advance communication. I guess that people are starting to see what I mean.
This situation can't go on forever. It also shows a structural weakness: with every passing day, BRU will become a bigger and bigger future target (for IS but also other terrorists groups), as it proves to be a very efficient place to do a max. of damage to the Belgian economy with very little means.

IMO it's not a good message to tell the business community that it will take months to restore full capacity.
IMO the message should have been that they'll work like crazy to restore full capacity in a matter of days.

I also don't understand why the entire departure hall has to stay closed. There was an overcapacity in check-in facilities before the attacks and by the looks of the last pictures, only 2-4 rows have been hit badly, on top of the facilities in the "new" departure hall. IMO closing off some area's of the departure hall and patching up all the rest should be sufficient to regain 70% of the check-in capacity within a matter of dozens of hours.
Last edited by Flanker2 on 30 Mar 2016, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

According to De Tijd, there will be no flights from BRU tomorrow either!
Not so much because facilities are still missing, but because the police is not entirely satisfied with the temporary procedures put in place to protect both them and the passengers, procedures which ironically are being applied at the regional airports too btw.

I am under a strong impression some police unions are abusing the closure of the airport to enforce their own personal agenda. Shame on them: taking a whole industry and our country's economy hostage just like that, if indeed this would be true!

Also, what a pitty for the image of our country that its main airport can apparently not get temporary check in facilities up and running within 10 days after seeing the terminal damaged!
Very disappointed by our country's official services now, especially in the light of all the hard work which has been done by those working for private companies: what a contrast!

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Inquirer wrote:I am under a strong impression some police unions are abusing the closure of the airport to enforce their own personal agenda. Shame on them: taking a whole industry and our country's economy hostage just like that, if indeed this would be true!
Shame on them indeed. They'd better pay attention to themselves. One officer showed up drunk at a meeting about the terror attacks. :( http://www.xpats.com/brussels-police-ch ... is-meeting

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Well a few days ago I got flamed for being direspectful, etc.. with my comments of so slow reopening of BRU and lack of advance communication
it takes many days for people to lower their emotional level... There's been many emotional reactions and not so many logical thinking. It's like people were ashamed to be cartesian and honest "because oh no, we must show the pain". "Let's excuse all mistakes !" "they are doing their best" "our police is perfect"
Everybody is free, but i know now I have to skip a lot of reading on this forum.
Last edited by Acid-drop on 30 Mar 2016, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Acid-drop wrote:I guess they'll focus on long haul first no ?
More revenue ?
If Brussels Airlines is allowed to re-start, they will do it in half a day, but only for European flights. Coming back with long-haul will take a longer time. That's what Bernard Gustin said to L'Echo today.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Fully agree with you Inquirer, cf my post before yours.
I'm also starting to wonder whether airlines shouldn't start looking to set up their own temporary facilities instead of waiting for BRU to do it for them.

I mean companies like SN lose millions every single day. That's a lot of budget that can be spent setting up computers, servers, printers, x-ray machines to run a temporary check-in and security facility, from where the pax can be bussed to the connector or terminals B/T.

In theory, SN can run such an operation by reorganising half of their maintenance hangar, while forcing BRU to reopen the arrivals area, which should be undamaged.

Also, if they can set it up now, the same equipment and organisation can be pulled out of the closets the next time that anything remotely similar happens.
Last edited by Flanker2 on 30 Mar 2016, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I don't know if that is even possible if indeed it's just the police blocking everything, officially because they have doubts over the new procedures, but in practice because they link it to some longstanding dispute with the government they'd first want to get solved.
If it's indeed just another story of some little union deciding now it the perfect time to take a whole country hostage, all we can say is: welcome to Belgium. :roll:
BTW, I am not saying they can't be right, but it shouldn't be linked to the reopening, IMHO.
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/regio ... /1.2615711

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

It's very simple, operationally the airport can restart every moment and people are waiting for it to happen. Currently it's just the Federal Police still blocking the opening with unreasonable demands in some levels (many of which are not in the hands of BAC as it's not their authority to do that).

For the departures hall, the damage is extensive in several locations and opening parts of it within days is not reasonable.
Hearing comments from several airlines (major users of BRU), they seem to understand that better than some here at luchtzak...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:
Acid-drop wrote:I guess they'll focus on long haul first no ?
More revenue ?
If Brussels Airlines is allowed to re-start, they will do it in half a day, but only for European flights. Coming back with long-haul will take a longer time. That's what Bernard Gustin said to L'Echo today.
If that's true there is even less reasons to prioritise them. All of us want to restart the OPS at BRU, not just them :roll: Fr doesn't need half a day, a few hours are enough

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Inquirer wrote:According to De Tijd, there will be no flights from BRU tomorrow either!
Not so much because facilities are still missing, but because the police is not entirely satisfied with the temporary procedures put in place to protect both them and the passengers, procedures which ironically are being applied at the regional airports too btw.

I am under a strong impression some police unions are abusing the closure of the airport to enforce their own personal agenda. Shame on them: taking a whole industry and our country's economy hostage just like that, if indeed this would be true!

Also, what a pitty for the image of our country that its main airport can apparently not get temporary check in facilities up and running within 10 days after seeing the terminal damaged!
Very disappointed by our country's official services now, especially in the light of all the hard work which has been done by those working for private companies: what a contrast!
I have always been very supportive of the police at the airport, but this is indeed getting outrageous. I am still in support for (most of) their demands but first of all it is the state who (once again) dragging its feet... Especially in the given circumstances this is out of proportion, and it has nothing to do with the security check, I am sure...

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Flanker2 wrote: In theory, SN can run such an operation by reorganising half of their maintenance hangar, while forcing BRU to reopen the arrivals area, which should be undamaged.
Arrivals is damaged also, the arrivals will be in an hangar which is organised to have their luggage picked up.

So they also needed to arrange an arrivals area.

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

It is turning into a joke. It should not take 10 days to re-open one of your main national infrastructural assets and some people are not doing their job.

If none were already planned, they should have started designing scenarios the day after the attacks (if there is structural damage, we do x etc.). While some of this was done with the construction of the temporary check-in area, some people are not doing their job if days after the facility is completed, it's not open for use.

When the airport has two fully undamaged piers, an undamaged centralised security area and a great number of passengers who travel with only hand luggage or are transit passengers, I really can't see why the airport can't be brought up to a decent capacity quickly.

If you have to do it, strongly discourage checked luggage but all means possible. Why not offer a voucher for a service such as sendmybag.com. It would still be far cheaper than having a closed airport.

b720

Post by b720 »

A very bad joke!
The arrivals hall might have been fixed by now, it is 10 days already..
I refuse to believe that it takes almost 2 weeks to operate even at limited capacity..
As mentioned above, they could have started with online checked in pax only and only with hand
Luggage! Many airlines operated flights with absolutely no checked in luggage out of Egyptian airports for over a week after the bombing of the metro jet.
Anyway, the damage is already done. Very shameful.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Indeed, all connecting traffic is gone for at least a year :/

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Guys,

WTF is wrong with you all? All been watching to much movies where everything happens in a time span of a an hour or so?

It is indeed more than a week ago those tragic events happened, from those 8 days 4 of those were used by forensics to collect evidence. Then another day was used to make preliminary structural assessments about the terminal. And don't forget the several experts for the insurance companies involved. Not for one (Brussels Airport) but also for every single company which has property in the BAC building (airlines, restaurants, shops, etc...). Before you can demolish anything they all need to sign off. Some inventory may be recuperated and need to be checked, etc... Plans had to be made on how to continue, by now we know that both the departure and arrivals level has sustained damage, not only in the 1994 terminal but even more so in the 1958 terminal. So at this point 100% of BRU's departure and arrival infrastructure has been compromised and cannot be used. While it may look easy to create temporary check-in's and arrival's it's not that easy, BRU is restricted in space and thus it's not easy to create the facilities to be compliant with all guidelines and rules. Not only federal or local rules but international rules. Dozens of agencies need to give their blessings and tests need to be conducted. A test was done yesterday and apparently it wasn't completely succesful limiting handling to a very low 300 pax an hour, something that's unacceptable if you want to restart, with 300 pax/hour there's even no benefit in restarting.

Regarding "having the hall fixed by now": Stop dreaming, it's not like it's putting a bandage on a wound, that's something that cannot be done and won't even be accepted by any agency that needs to sign of on it. Several people here are saying that the damage is substantial when they saw it with their own eyes. So believe them if they say the damage is massive. And while there are 2 undamaged piers there's a severely damaged building in between them...

Best case scenario is that BRU will be running at capacity in about 3 months and that is the best case scenario in which nothing is going wrong, no hidden structural damage is found, every contractor and suppliers delivers on schedule, etc... And lets not forget all the red tape that can appear with the biggest issue being the government is 25% owner of BRU so there is still a chance that the contract has to be publicized (Aanbesteding, I think it's equivalent in English is a RFP, a request for proposal), maybe even on EU level which means that there will be an additional delay of at least a few weeks, probably even months if it is decided that they can't just order any contractor they want (downside of being partly government owned).

Something to think about before ranting about how they are a joke etc... I'm pretty sure if a similar thing happens in any other airport with a similar layout to BRU, with the same laws, guidelines etc... it would have just the same result as in BRU.

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

Bralo20:

Sorry but this illustrates a lot that's wrong with modern day Belgium - why it takes 10 months to resurface a few km of motorways, when our neighbours in the Netherlands do the same job in 10 calendar days.

The day after the attacks there should have been a high-level led Task Force on re-opening the airport as soon as possible. I can accept delays with the forensic examination but once that was finalised, everything else should have kicked-off. Anyway, things did not stop during the first 4 days and they should have been used to negotiate solutions with different parties including the police (even if it wasn't exactly known what form of handling facilities would be available).

A secure route to the centralised security in the Connector is available (as would be used for passengers from the temporary check-in area) so little should prevent a re-opening for hand luggage and transit passengers. After that, it's for airlines to adapt their operations accordingly.