Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Airbus330lover

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Airbus330lover »

thalenoi wrote:The new "drop off" topic to be found here:
http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/passng ... axdropoff/

about the 15 min free parking:
Car parks P1, P2 and P3

In car parks P1 Front Park, P2 Economy and P3 Holiday you can park free of charge for fifteen minutes to drop off passengers. Please remember to validate your ticket at the pay machine.

After that a rate of 2 euros per half hour applies for the first two hours. The same rates apply in the three car parks for the first five hours:

Strange though is the mention "Please remember to validate your ticket at the pay machine"

I guess there is no need to validate the ticket within the 15 min.

I definitely will continue to use the P1 as drop off, seems to a long walk from the new Drop off zone.
And for the users of a Pcard+ it's 30 min free

Stij

Post by Stij »

Airbus330lover wrote: And for the users of a Pcard+ it's 30 min free
After reading our news page: I ll apply immediatly for such a card.

I consider this to be service, and applaud it.

And I m angry at myself that I didn t know about it.

Stij

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Article in Trends - thus in Dutch, and too long to translate:
http://trends.knack.be/economie/beleid/ ... 97503.html

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

A bit of good news, the 'random' pre-check facility at the bus platform has been replaced by BDO screening like at departures level (don't know about arrivals, haven't been at that entrance lately).

teach

Post by teach »

RoMax wrote:A bit of good news, the 'random' pre-check facility at the bus platform has been replaced by BDO screening like at departures level (don't know about arrivals, haven't been at that entrance lately).
Same thing at arrivals: they randomly pick people.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

And the train station?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

It seems that the Belgian government is seriously considering implementing the security features of BRU airport also at the main railway stations in our country to permanently roll out a 'mature security system' in Belgium.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

teach wrote:
RoMax wrote:A bit of good news, the 'random' pre-check facility at the bus platform has been replaced by BDO screening like at departures level (don't know about arrivals, haven't been at that entrance lately).
Same thing at arrivals: they randomly pick people.
No that's what I meant that they don't do at the bus platform anymore. There it is since a few days the same as on departures level with only FedPol (BDO's) checking on you to see if they consider your behaviour as suspicious. No longer the random screening by G4S as it was the case before.

At the train station they do have FedPol agents in most cases but not real BDO screening as on departures and now bus level, so especially with luggage and/or without staff badge they still refer you to the screening.

brabel

Post by brabel »

8.3% rise in passenger numbers in december
In total this year a 7% loss, now having 21,818,418 pessengers
cargo up 1.1%

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... rowth-8-3/

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

brabel wrote:8.3% rise in passenger numbers in december
In total this year a 7% loss, now having 21,818,418 pessengers
cargo up 1.1%

http://www.brusselsairport.be/pressroom ... s-in-2016/
Nice to see the number 8.3%. Means a lot ! Hope 2017 will be the best year ever for the Airport and for SN .

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Interview with the mother of one of the victims - a 18 year old American lady who has lost both legs in the bomb blast at Brussels Airport:

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/video ... ak/2.48286

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

BRU withdraws it's offer to refund passangers that were on time at the airport but missed their flight: www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categori ... ht-brussel (Dutch)

Strangely this has been widely reported in Dutch media but I couldn't find any Belgium source. Very bad PR imo, either you make such an offer or you don't, but it's never wise to make such a bold offer and then don't follow up on it. It has been withdrawn before it even started! :( Mister Feist has to learn to put his money where his mouth is.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Jetter wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 15:34 BRU withdraws it's offer to refund passangers that were on time at the airport but missed their flight: www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categori ... ht-brussel (Dutch)

Strangely this has been widely reported in Dutch media but I couldn't find any Belgium source. Very bad PR imo, either you make such an offer or you don't, but it's never wise to make such a bold offer and then don't follow up on it. It has been withdrawn before it even started! :( Mister Feist has to learn to put his money where his mouth is.
At that time a lot of people were still convinced it was a big struggle to get through BRU (which in terms of certain aspects still was to be honnest...), which it isn't anymore (it is now more or less as it used to be, with the exception that you can't use the curb anymore and that in the train station you can still be screened). So the need for such a campaign reduced. In addition it is very difficult to deliver on such a promise and being sure that people will not take advantage of it. Which however was of course also known in September and I think Feist/BAC brought this action to the public too soon. It was with a good reason (trying to sound thrustworthy), but cancelling it now has an opposite effect...
Last edited by RoMax on 21 Jan 2017, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Jetter wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 15:34 BRU withdraws it's offer to refund passangers that were on time at the airport but missed their flight: www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categori ... ht-brussel (Dutch)
When presented like you did above, there is indeed a problem. However, your post isn't fair:

1. You don't mention why they've withdrawn it. As RoMax just wrote: because passengers are not afraid anymore that they will miss their flight due to long queuing. That was indeed that widely spread fear/feeling a few months ago. To counter that, BRU announced that a campaign would be organized ("we"ll gurantuee you won't miss your flight, or we'll refund..."). But BRU re-established all its facilities that fast and that good, that it's useless to do a money-back campaign today.

2. Contrary to what you say, it has been published in Belgian media yesterday. At least, the Flemish press has - I don't know for the Walloon/French speaking press. I wasn't online that much (I enjoyed the inauguration of president-elect Trump) but it was mentionned on the two most popular Flemish news sites: De Redactie (VRT) and HLN.be:
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.2870043
and
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/2/Reizen/artic ... port.dhtml

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Passenger wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 18:441. You don't mention why they've withdrawn it. As RoMax just wrote: because passengers are not afraid anymore that they will miss their flight due to long queuing. That was indeed that widely spread fear/feeling a few months ago. To counter that, BRU announced that a campaign would be organized ("we"ll gurantuee you won't miss your flight, or we'll refund..."). But BRU re-established all its facilities that fast and that good, that it's useless to do a money-back campaign today.
Nothing that happened since mister Feist made his bold announcement was unexpected. Of course waiting times went down as times passed and of course this changed the perception of the passengers. If that really changed the plan it shouldn't have been announced to start with, or mister Feist should have been honest and have said: "if the perception of waiting times hasn't improved in 2017 we will implement a travel guarantee plan".

You also conveniently leave out that the plan was supposed to start in short time, at least before the end of 2016. Instead Mr Feist just waited until travel times were back to normal to announce the plan was no longer needed. That makes it look very much like this was just a random bold statement without even an intention to follow up on. BRU needs a CEO that talks less and does more, i.e. one that worked on realizing such a plan when passengers still chose other airports over BRU instead of just talk.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Jetter wrote: 21 Jan 2017, 20:01 That makes it look very much like this was just a random bold statement without even an intention to follow up on. BRU needs a CEO that talks less and does more, i.e. one that worked on realizing such a plan when passengers still chose other airports over BRU instead of just talk.
Although I agree the communication about this campaign could have been a lot better, I would advise not to judge on something you don't know anything about... Well before Feist's announcement people were working on this campaign and continued to do so afterwards, there are a number of reasons why it didn't materialise.

telspace2005

Post by telspace2005 »

BRU is a nigtmare when it comes to drop or pick-up someone. Lots of stress. Confusing.
I experienced LUX last week. Easy access, easy parking, clean and calm airport.... and reached my final destination anyway. The perfect airport for me.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

telspace2005 wrote: 22 Jan 2017, 09:33 BRU is a nigtmare when it comes to drop or pick-up someone. Lots of stress. Confusing.
I experienced LUX last week. Easy access, easy parking, clean and calm airport.... and reached my final destination anyway. The perfect airport for me.
I'm still very frustrated about it I don't mention it anymore here because when I do it I'm the bad one.

But I still don't get it why it takes so long to reestablish a good drop off zone....also if it takes times tell us at least what it will be !

But like it is now it's can not stay.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

At 21h50 tonight on VTM tv: "De Lotgenoten: de aanslagen in Zaventem" (part one)

http://nieuws.vtm.be/aanslag-zaventem

I's no reconstruction of facts. VTM-reporter Julie Colpaert focuses on the people that were directly or indirectly involved (example relatives of airport staff, fire brigade, ...)

VTM: Bijna een jaar na de aanslagen in Zaventem en Brussel brengt Julie Colpaert in Lotgenoten de weinig gehoorde verhalen van gewone mensen die midden in de chaos van die dag zaten. Personeelsleden van de luchthaven, hun familieleden die heel de dag angstig op nieuws wachtten en militairen die het gebouw moesten bewaken. Over de daders en hun motieven wordt niet gesproken. Maar de getuigen spreken wel over de eerste schok, de schrik die ze hadden en vooral de solidariteit die die dag tussen de slachtoffers en nabestaanden groeide. Allemaal hebben ze mekaar geholpen. Een jaar na de aanslagen is de verbondenheid onder de lotgenoten nog altijd enorm. De afleveringen over de aanslagen in Zaventem en Brussel worden uitgezonden in twee delen. Dinsdag 28 februari zie je het eerste deel.