Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

flightlover

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by flightlover »

b720 wrote:BRU needs to find a solution for the parking EXIT! Last night, at around 20:30 (and not the first time) The exit was blocked by cars whose drivers were no were to be seen!!! They were paying their tickets!
3 exit poles were occupied by such cars last night, resulting in a traffic jam at the other "fluid"ones.
I guess people overstay their 15 min? Could not exit, instead of reversing and parking at the side .. they step out of their cars, and line up at the machine to pay!!! In the meantime, those with a validated ticket, have to line up and wait!!
Just another proof of how self-centred people are these days. Most of the problems stated are a result of that. It goes from traffic jams on the road towards the parking buildings to the problematic K&R situation. And continues inside the airport itself.

Yuqu12

Post by Yuqu12 »

Btw how's the train access running now ? How long can you make it from train to check-in desk ?
I went last wednesday to the spotters event from TUI by train, because I know the roads to the airport are a hell these days. I arrived at the airport at 7:50 with only my bag with camera in and I was allowed to proceed without control. But every other person with bags had to pass the security check and the X-ray scanner. I can tell you it was a very very very long queue waiting there! When I went home again, around 12:30, the security area was closed so you could just walk from the train station to the check-in desk.

My answer: it depends when you arrive, especially on the busy moments and be there 2-3 hours in advance can be pretty useful then.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

@sn-remember thanks very much I always have the impression that I'm the bad one but I really want this airport to work properly and good .
I travel much and the competition between airports is hard so we need to be with the best.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

flightlover wrote:
b720 wrote:BRU needs to find a solution for the parking EXIT! Last night, at around 20:30 (and not the first time) The exit was blocked by cars whose drivers were no were to be seen!!! They were paying their tickets!
3 exit poles were occupied by such cars last night, resulting in a traffic jam at the other "fluid"ones.
I guess people overstay their 15 min? Could not exit, instead of reversing and parking at the side .. they step out of their cars, and line up at the machine to pay!!! In the meantime, those with a validated ticket, have to line up and wait!!
Just another proof of how self-centred people are these days. Most of the problems stated are a result of that. It goes from traffic jams on the road towards the parking buildings to the problematic K&R situation. And continues inside the airport itself.
Not much to do With self centered. If you're forced to drop someone off in a parking building (which in a normal world takes less then 15 min) and because of the inefficiency of the building/procedure, it takes a lonf time, you dont really have any other option than to park your car in front of the barrier to go and pay. BRU doesnt care, its making them money!

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

sean1982 wrote: Not much to do With self centered. If you're forced to drop someone off in a parking building (which in a normal world takes less then 15 min) and because of the inefficiency of the building/procedure, it takes a lonf time, you dont really have any other option than to park your car in front of the barrier to go and pay. BRU doesnt care, its making them money!
There is quite a lot of space between the parked cars and the automatic barriers. So putting your car to the side for the time it takes to pay the fee is just a small effort. No need to hinder other drivers that where fast enough or have paid already. But that is my simplistic view.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sean1982 wrote:
Not much to do With self centered. If you're forced to drop someone off in a parking building (which in a normal world takes less then 15 min) and because of the inefficiency of the building/procedure, it takes a lonf time, you dont really have any other option than to park your car in front of the barrier to go and pay. BRU doesnt care, its making them money!
Again a false and wrong statement. It is not Brussels Airport. The parking towers belongs to Interparking and Interparking is earning.
So if you have complaints, please call or write to Interparking.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Atlantis wrote: Again a false and wrong statement. It is not Brussels Airport. The parking towers belongs to Interparking and Interparking is earning.
Indeed and it seems Interparking is falling behind for quite some time now.
Week after week on P1 you have lifts (elevators in americanese) out of order, sometimes even accessible although 20cm off level.
And very often too, one or two of the payment machines at arrival level are out of service. The long queues in front of the ones in operation may also may lead some drivers to short circuit it, move out and pay just before leaving the parking lot creating a bottleneck there.
Not to mention some windows that haven't been cleaned for ages, about as nice looking as if someone had puked on it.
Interparking is a disgrace, at least on P1.

As to accessibility, at the hours I usually show up there, P1 top floor has always free spots.

H.A.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Atlantis wrote:
sean1982 wrote:
Again a false and wrong statement. It is not Brussels Airport. The parking towers belongs to Interparking and Interparking is earning.
Since when is it a passengers requirement to negotiate with an airport supplier? I fly from BRU, I park at bru (or get dropped off). If it's true what you say its actually 2 companies negligence

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:As to accessibility, at the hours I usually show up there, P1 top floor has always free spots.
People don't like to park in open air! They prefer a roof for the loved cars...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sean1982 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:
sean1982 wrote:
Since when is it a passengers requirement to negotiate with an airport supplier? I fly from BRU, I park at bru (or get dropped off). If it's true what you say its actually 2 companies negligence
If you know me as member here, my contribution and the info that I can give than you should know that what I wrote is correct. The parking towers are Interparking and the fees are for Interparking
Like it is for every company, when you have a complaint about their parkings, fees, cleaning of their parkings, you can contact them via phone or to write them. You can find this info on their webpage.

If you have an appointment in the new Deloitte building at BRU and the staff there is rude against you or it is dirty or sth else are you also going to complain than at BRU?? I don't think so. So if you have a complaint than, you do it directly to Deloitte.

The same is with the parkings who are Interparking.

Clear now?

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Atlantis wrote:
sean1982 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:
If you know me as member here, my contribution and the info that I can give than you should know that what I wrote is correct. The parking towers are Interparking and the fees are for Interparking
Like it is for every company, when you have a complaint about their parkings, fees, cleaning of their parkings, you can contact them via phone or to write them. You can find this info on their webpage.

If you have an appointment in the new Deloitte building at BRU and the staff there is rude against you or it is dirty or sth else are you also going to complain than at BRU?? I don't think so. So if you have a complaint than, you do it directly to Deloitte.

The same is with the parkings who are Interparking.

Clear now?
I understand Atlantis but for us passengers you have to understand that's it's an airport from parking to gate .
I'm sure interparking is part of the organisation around the airport with the management of the airport,also it's a forum here we just wanna make things go better.(at least for me)
We are not starting a discussion who's fault it is because no one of us will put a complain I think.
And yes you are a very very appreciated forum member.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

convair wrote:The K&R system at BRU was simply not or too weakly policed most of the time and the obligation for drivers to remain at their car was not enforced.
Exactly.

I very much liked the K&R at BRU, as I equally like the YUL, BKK, AMS, UTH K&R, DMK is bad and BRU got down to the last spot since 22/03/16.
People without manners leaving their cars should be fined with a hefty fine after a 5 minutes stop at the K&R.

Flying into AMS early November and leaving from BRU half November, curious and hoping for some improvements to reach the departures hall from P1 failing to have a real K&R....I really hated the walk through the war zone...

Edit by moderator: corrected the quote!

Stij

Post by Stij »

Ansett wrote:Put the "old" K&R zone back with proper surveillance and security agents. In addition, you could also adopt the system as on some French toll highways. You take a ticket when you arrive and you pay from inside your car with coins or a bank/credit card when you leave, with one restriction, for instance, announce that the first ten minutes are free and any additional minute will cost one euro.

Seems very easy to me, but perhaps I have it all wrong. Tell me.
I agree 100%!!! It was this way at CRL and still is this way at BGY and it works perfect!

Stij

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Stij wrote:
Ansett wrote:Put the "old" K&R zone back with proper surveillance and security agents. In addition, you could also adopt the system as on some French toll highways. You take a ticket when you arrive and you pay from inside your car with coins or a bank/credit card when you leave, with one restriction, for instance, announce that the first ten minutes are free and any additional minute will cost one euro.

Seems very easy to me, but perhaps I have it all wrong. Tell me.
I agree 100%!!! It was this way at CRL and still is this way at BGY and it works perfect!

Stij
I totally agree as well !

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Now that's a smart idea: scrap the remote payment machines and have people pay at the exit.
The added benefit (on top of avoiding the problems described above) is that people parking for short times only will all have slightly longer parking times, thus will all pay a little bit more.;)
Indeed, with this, there's no more need to give them a 'free' walk back to their car after having paid at the machine: now they will walk to their car in full paying time and even drive to the exit in paying time.
Somehow, knowing how 'product improvements' come into being these days, this is an idea that will be looked deeper into, I am pretty sure.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Inquirer wrote:Now that's a smart idea: scrap the remote payment machines and have people pay at the exit.
The added benefit (on top of avoiding the problems described above) is that people parking for short times only will all have slightly longer parking times, thus will all pay a little bit more.;)
Indeed, with this, there's no more need to give them a 'free' walk back to their car after having paid at the machine: now they will walk to their car in full paying time and even drive to the exit in paying time.
Somehow, knowing how 'product improvements' come into being these days, this is an idea that will be looked deeper into, I am pretty sure.
I read some irony here: our idea is about reopening the K&R zone and offering this service there. If people would use that zone as it's meant to be (so Kiss and Ride) 15 min is more than enough and you'll never have to pay, unless you don;t follow the rules and go inside.

And for P1->P3, one system doesn't have to exclude the other... if you forgot to pay... no need to go back...

Cheers,

Stij

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Well, it is clear I'm pretty much alone with my opinion about the old K&R at BRU, at least on this forum.

If you guys complain about the lack of officers at the scene, point fingers at the ministery of the interior which, for years, did nothing else but cut back investments in the police or the entire first responderd aparatus...

Stij

Post by Stij »

Conti764 wrote:Well, it is clear I'm pretty much alone with my opinion about the old K&R at BRU, at least on this forum.

If you guys complain about the lack of officers at the scene, point fingers at the ministery of the interior which, for years, did nothing else but cut back investments in the police or the entire first responderd aparatus...
Maybe, but why would we need police if we can get the same result by charging everybody who stays longer than 15 min in the Kiss and Ride? Let the police focus on our safety instead!

Cheers,

Stij

convair

Post by convair »

I see some merit in Ansett's and Stij's idea. But I'm afraid some people will consider that as an invitation to stay as long as they wish (provided they pay for it of course), the result being again a quick congestion of the area.

Give us back the "good ole" K&R, but please enforce the rules vigourously.
And you don't even need "real" policemen(women) to do it: suitably recruited "traffic cops" will do fine!

Now, if the police unions fear a terrorist attack in that area, try to imagine a terrorist attack in one of our pristine(!) ;) parkings.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

convair wrote: Now, if the police unions fear a terrorist attack in that area, try to imagine a terrorist attack in one of our pristine(!) ;) parkings.
As we had a few 1000 people queueing up outside the pre security check tent in the past we can say that police unions only really care for their own safety, so for them the current situation works perfectly fine.