Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote:The Loft at pier A.
Send them a Tweet. They usually react very fast to that kind of negative publicity.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Boavida wrote:Just wondering: is Brussels Airlines planning to reopen a new ticketing desk at the departures hall? Because today, they're practically invisible at the airport! A bit strange for a home carrier. You really have to search for their tiny ticketing desk (all the way in the back).
They are together with the desks of most other airlines, and nicely in between the other airlines of the Lufthansa Group. But I guess that with the improvements planned for Brussels Airport they will soon find a better strategic position!
André
ex Sabena #26567

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

sn26567 wrote:
Boavida wrote:Just wondering: is Brussels Airlines planning to reopen a new ticketing desk at the departures hall? Because today, they're practically invisible at the airport! A bit strange for a home carrier. You really have to search for their tiny ticketing desk (all the way in the back).
They are together with the desks of most other airlines, and nicely in between the other airlines of the Lufthansa Group. But I guess that with the improvements planned for Brussels Airport they will soon find a better strategic position!
Indeed, they deserve a "true" home carrier tickets desk... for a better convenience and visibility!

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote:
lumumba wrote:The Loft at pier A.
Send them a Tweet. They usually react very fast to that kind of negative publicity.
I don't tweet and don't denounce ( it's not the same in a specialized forum than to the rest of the world)also I have to give te positive part ...
These holiday's my all reconstituted family (5 kids) could go inside.
I was a bit upset yesterday but I remember the lounge in Munich at rush time and it was the same ....
I imagine it's normal sometimes in the day.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Yesterday I had to drop someone off and parked shortly at P1. There was a long queue inside the parking lot because people were using the passageways as "kiss and ride". It's preposterous that the "kiss and ride" zone in front of the terminal had to go because of those petty criminals who came by taxi.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Didymus wrote:Yesterday I had to drop someone off and parked shortly at P1. There was a long queue inside the parking lot because people were using the passageways as "kiss and ride". It's preposterous that the "kiss and ride" zone in front of the terminal had to go because of those petty criminals who came by taxi.
Try to drive up a couple of floors... there you have all the space and all the time...

Cheers,

Stij

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote:
Didymus wrote:Yesterday I had to drop someone off and parked shortly at P1. There was a long queue inside the parking lot because people were using the passageways as "kiss and ride". It's preposterous that the "kiss and ride" zone in front of the terminal had to go because of those petty criminals who came by taxi.
Try to drive up a couple of floors... there you have all the space and all the time...

Cheers,

Stij
It's not very clear yet and we are now 6 months later.... That's not acceptable!

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Stij wrote:Try to drive up a couple of floors... there you have all the space and all the time...
If I knew how to make my car jump over other cars (without hitting the ceiling ;) ), I'd definitely do that. This exactly my complaint: the other cars didn't move forward, they just stopped at what they thought was a good point to drop people off, blocking the whole traffic flow.

Stij

Post by Stij »

lumumba wrote:It's not very clear yet and we are now 6 months later.... That's not acceptable!
IMHO, if you use a little common sense and know how a car park works, it's working pretty well for the moment...

I'm even going a bit further, with the 15min free parking, it works even better than before to drop someone of:

- no queuing
- dry
- no frustrated car drivers that almost hit you.

Even to pick someone up it's easier (for me as I live 25min from the airport). My party calls me when they're getting out of the plane, we agree on a certain floor as a meeting point and by the time they've collected their luggage, I'm there, we load the bags in the dry and we're off.

In conclusion: I wouldn't mind if this parking situation became permanent, if the 15min stays for free.

The security tent on the other hand... doesn't cost time but is a pain in the ***.

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

Didymus wrote:If I knew how to make my car jump over other cars (without hitting the ceiling ;) ), I'd definitely do that. This exactly my complaint: the other cars didn't move forward, they just stopped at what they thought was a good point to drop people off, blocking the whole traffic flow.
;-)

So they were dropping of even before the spirals??? That I didn;t see yet! I always saw the first floor in chaos after the spirals...

Stij

Didymus

Post by Didymus »

Exactly, didn't make it to the spirals. Luckily I found a free spot just before that point.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote:
lumumba wrote:It's not very clear yet and we are now 6 months later.... That's not acceptable!
IMHO, if you use a little common sense and know how a car park works, it's working pretty well for the moment...

I'm even going a bit further, with the 15min free parking, it works even better than before to drop someone of:

- no queuing
- dry
- no frustrated car drivers that almost hit you.

Even to pick someone up it's easier (for me as I live 25min from the airport). My party calls me when they're getting out of the plane, we agree on a certain floor as a meeting point and by the time they've collected their luggage, I'm there, we load the bags in the dry and we're off.

In conclusion: I wouldn't mind if this parking situation became permanent, if the 15min stays for free.

The security tent on the other hand... doesn't cost time but is a pain in the ***.

Cheers,

Stij
I understand that you now the airport quite well but most of the poeple don't.

It looks very chaotic to me and not only the drop off zone but also poeple still waiting outside to pick up poeple etc...

This is not a good situation if you look to Schiphol with a real open shopping mall and a superb terrace to look to the planes etc...

I think that after 6 months it could be better!
Last edited by lumumba on 12 Sep 2016, 15:25, edited 2 times in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If you go to Parking 1, go to floor 4 or higher. If you go to Parking 2, go to floor 6 (floor 7 also OK, but in open air). There is a good chance you will be able to drive unencumbered.

For Parking 3, I don't know: too far away from the terminal.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Freken

Post by Freken »

At a meeting this morning a couple of new security measures were announced by Arnaud Feist en interior minister Jan Jambon. A couple of these measures were already mentioned, some of them are new.

1. Pre-check tent to be removed
Starting from the 24th of October, the tent will be removed. As of the 7th of November, passengers will be able to proceed to the terminal right away.

2. Fast response team
Already mentioned before, a dedicated fast response team that will intervene in dangerous situations.

3. Linked databases
All databases of the police are in the progress of being linked, information will be centralized. Perhaps also the introduction of a new database with passenger information, similar to what the USA does now?

4. Camera detection
Automatic number place recognition cameras will be installed around the airport, police will analyse these from the airport itself.

5. Checkpoint
Between the entrance and the departures hall, I presume on the A201, there will be a checkpoint with barriers that may or may not open for certain suspicious vehicles/persons. Biometric cameras will be used!

6. (Ethnic) Profiling
Officers of the police are currently being enrolled in a profiling course, similar to what we see in Tel Aviv and in front of our lovely white tent.

Source: http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/211174- ... regels-aan

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I also heard about face recognition cameras at the entrance of the airport building.

The Kiss & Fly zone will not be re-instated at the place where the tents are now, because it is too close to the building. There is still a brain-storming on where and how to best arrange a Kiss & Fly area.
André
ex Sabena #26567

brabel

Post by brabel »

Finally those tents are about to go.

A bit off topic, but when are they publishing their september figures?
They are late!

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

sn26567 wrote:I also heard about face recognition cameras at the entrance of the airport building.

The Kiss & Fly zone will not be re-instated at the place where the tents are now, because it is too close to the building. There is still a brain-storming on where and how to best arrange a Kiss & Fly area.
That is a shame, because some idiots blew themselves up in the departures hall on 22 March, they came by taxi remember and airport security measures were "weak" at best....

Since 01 September I departed from UTH, DMK, BKK, YUL, AMS and BRU.
Believe it or not, BRU is the only "obstacle run" airport among these, although DMK deserves the golden medal for the longest car queue to reach the drop off area.

I was dropped off at BRU 3rd floor P1 on 03 sept, had 2 suitcases and my cabin roller.
Was lucky to find a trolley somewhere around the lifts (DMK, BKK, YUL and AMS trolleys within 5 meters from parking at K&R- UTH same as BRU: go and find one...)
Once you get at dept level turn right, walk through the tent, no more scanners there (some progress made), then walk back left to enter dept hall.

I did not like the AMS security check very appalling with the body scanner and the security staff lack of empathy, I guess I was lucky there were no waiting lines at all?

Flying into AMS early November, booked Thalys to Brussels Midi and ongoing train ticket, will find out how passport control, picking up bags and finding train will work out.

Leaving from BRU 12 November, will see how it looks like with the tent gone, hopeful no more war zone walk from P1 to dept hall entry.

See Ya.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

sn26567 wrote:The Kiss & Fly zone will not be re-instated at the place where the tents are now, because it is too close to the building.
Really ? Am I missing something ?
If I understand well, the tents being gone, there will be a direct access to the departure terminal anyway. I don't see the point ..
I know security is important but you can't have a totally secure airport. It's a trade-off between security and ease of use requirements ... We don't want a bunker. We have to live with "some" insecurity, that's the price to pay for unsuccessful multi-culturalism in a troubled world.
Also, I want to pay tribute to all actors working at the airport, struggling to make the most out of it despite difficult circunstances .. However I still think things might evolve more rapidly, it's already 6 mths post attacks and the airport is still a "not too good" experience to too many travelers it seems ?

b720

Post by b720 »

finally those horrid tents are gone.. I kiss the drop off zone will eventually be reinstated. If the face recognition and the check point is really doing its job, there should not be a security issue allowing people to drop off pax at the entrance of the terminal..
and a bit off topic, for the ridiculous remark of 'failed mutli - culturalism"garbage posted earlier ... This is the rhetoric of fascists. Do not try to make it mainstream. We are suffering the effects of a changing world, a world that gets smaller exactly because of what BRU stands for, connecting people. The crimes in Syria are just 4 hours flying away,. or 6 hours if one connects in IST. Criminals are mobile, and have wifi.. This is one of the side effects of our changing world. We can abolish flights, and mobile phones and the internet. The world will be safer, but do we want that?
I have said from day one, no measures can secure BRU or any other airport, except for preemptive action taken by our security apparatus and intelligence services. The tent was useless, so is the check point..

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

b720 wrote:and a bit off topic, for the ridiculous remark of 'failed mutli - culturalism"garbage posted earlier ... This is the rhetoric of fascists. Do not try to make it mainstream.
Wow ! My rhetoric is certainly NOT fascist ... This topic merits more than a few hostile ready-made insults .. But this is not the appropriate forum ;)
For the rest of your post, I tend to agree ...