Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Freken

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Freken »

BRUpilot wrote:1. Is the airport now fully operational? And by this I mean the amount of flights: Is every airline operating like it was before 22/03?
The renovated part of the old terminal, also known as the leisure terminal, is not open yet. They did however have some plans to use 1? row there in the summer when things started to get real busy. Not sure if this information is still up to date. Temporary departure hall is not in use anymore.

Most if not all airlines are already back at the airport, except for a few who already have plans to restart their routes. (e.g. Delta)
BRUpilot wrote:2. Can you access the departure hall when you don't have a ticket? I would actually like to see it now that it's fully open again...
Technically speaking, yes, you can access the departure hall again without a ticket. Although I've seen some people that weren't allowed to enter a couple of days ago, but that shouldn't be the case anymore. Please bare in mind that you have to pass the pre-screening on the departures level or through the railway station, and entering through the arrivals level is not allowed.

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

Freken wrote:
BRUpilot wrote:1. Is the airport now fully operational? And by this I mean the amount of flights: Is every airline operating like it was before 22/03?
The renovated part of the old terminal, also known as the leisure terminal, is not open yet. They did however have some plans to use 1? row there in the summer when things started to get real busy. Not sure if this information is still up to date. Temporary departure hall is not in use anymore.

Most if not all airlines are already back at the airport, except for a few who already have plans to restart their routes. (e.g. Delta)
BRUpilot wrote:2. Can you access the departure hall when you don't have a ticket? I would actually like to see it now that it's fully open again...
Technically speaking, yes, you can access the departure hall again without a ticket. Although I've seen some people that weren't allowed to enter a couple of days ago, but that shouldn't be the case anymore. Please bare in mind that you have to pass the pre-screening on the departures level or through the railway station, and entering through the arrivals level is not allowed.
Thanks Freken!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Freken wrote: Technically speaking, yes, you can access the departure hall again without a ticket. Although I've seen some people that weren't allowed to enter a couple of days ago, but that shouldn't be the case anymore. Please bare in mind that you have to pass the pre-screening on the departures level or through the railway station, and entering through the arrivals level is not allowed.
Mostly people who just assumed they weren't allowed to enter... People who asked or just past the check point, were not stopped.

Apparantly, yesterday rumours were spreading that the arrivals hall was to reopen for general public as of today. Anybody who knows more?

The current checks would stay in place untill the end of this year...

Freken

Post by Freken »

Conti764 wrote:Apparantly, yesterday rumours were spreading that the arrivals hall was to reopen for general public as of today. Anybody who knows more?
This was mentioned on the BRU Twitter as well friday, but turned out you had to go through the pre-check on the departures level and then go downstairs through the Diamant. Not sure if this is still the procedure.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I entered the airport through the tents this morning without my ticket being asked or checked. And from there it is possible to go down by the stairs to the arrivals hall.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Freken

Post by Freken »

Railway station was just shut down by the police. No more trains to arrive and depart until further notice. Seems like something is going on.

convair

Post by convair »

Freken wrote:Railway station was just shut down by the police. No more trains to arrive and depart until further notice. Seems like something is going on.
A few shots were fired in Molenbeek earlier yesterday. A bit of an over-reaction imho.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

convair wrote:
Freken wrote:Railway station was just shut down by the police. No more trains to arrive and depart until further notice. Seems like something is going on.
A few shots were fired in Molenbeek earlier yesterday. A bit of an over-reaction imho.
90% of the fedpol demands/actions since 22 March are 'a bit' of an over-reaction unfortunately ...

Freken

Post by Freken »

convair wrote:
Had nothing to do with the shots, police asked Infrabel to shut down the railway station around 19.50 due to a technical alarm. Quite a strange story, but who am I to doubt them ;)

The station was reopened about an hour later, at 21.05

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Regarding the extra checks in place at BRU, apparently resistence against it is growing amongst police officers too, from both the airport police itself as from the extra units. The only ones stepping on the brake are the unions, who allegedly refuse to give in on it... Such a shame... :roll:

Stij

Post by Stij »

Conti764 wrote:Regarding the extra checks in place at BRU, apparently resistence against it is growing amongst police officers too, from both the airport police itself as from the extra units. The only ones stepping on the brake are the unions, who allegedly refuse to give in on it... Such a shame... :roll:
So now everybody on the airport sees the uselessness apart from a few guys in red, green and blue?

Nice country we live in!

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Travelling with children may be a hassle. To make that journey easier, Brussels Airport now has a "family lane" at security check.
André
ex Sabena #26567

SN22667

Post by SN22667 »

Any news on the re-opening of the VIP Parking

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Since a couple of days, the tents for the pre-check are all removed. Pre-check is not necessary anymore. Everybody can now enter directly the building

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Do you mean the tents in front of the departure hall?

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

Seems strange to me, in charleroi, they are adding a pre-check as from mid-july

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/957/Binnenland ... zone.dhtml

Why add them in Charleroi and remove them in Zaventem?

But if so, this is only good news? and are all entrances on all floors open again? This because the elevators in the parking building were a real bottleneck.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

webstermc wrote:the elevators in the parking building were a real bottleneck.
Do you know that there are stairs next to these elevators? Not easy to find, but they are there, and I always used them to avoid the bottleneck.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Hmm I have to come back to my earlier post. The tents in front of the building will remain till further notice. The tents on the tarmac are of course removed in meantime.
But if the tents will be removed in front of the building, something else will replace them. So it seems now that they will stay there for a much longer period.

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

sn26567 wrote:
webstermc wrote:the elevators in the parking building were a real bottleneck.
Do you know that there are stairs next to these elevators? Not easy to find, but they are there, and I always used them to avoid the bottleneck.
Yes I know, but with luggage, it is not easy to take the stairs...

koja78

Post by koja78 »

I have noticed that the elevators in the diamond almost never stop at the arrivals level.