Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ezis_bis

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by ezis_bis »

b720 wrote:The SN lounge (The LOFT) is horrible these days!
I agree it was rather packed, but I did not consider it to be horrible. (speaking about Sunday)
SAS lounge in Oslo was just as busy, minus the choice in food

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

convair wrote:
Conti764 wrote: What the new K&R should be, if it ever returns, it two through lanes with minimal parking space. One for taxi's and tour operator busses to drop off passengers and one for regular cars dropping of passengers. This system is way more managable for the police then the old system which was chaotic and only created frustration and traffic jams...
I fully agree with you. The drivers should not be allowed to get out of their car, except only to help discharging the luggage and a brief goodbye. It's organized like that in many airports and, wherever it is strictly enforced, it works perfectly well.
Under these conditions, the K&R is a normal facility you can expect at every airport and as such it MUST return at BRU as well.
That's exactly what I meant: or K&R or parking to accompany/help passenger with luggage.
I understand both to be denied at BRU, I K&R'd at P1 and was on my own from there on and felt a "get lost" attitude by people working in the tent.

As for the Doha 45 min connection time, my flight was rescheduled from 2h by QR, seems they reduced connection time for many city pairs, there were a lot of complaints on Flyertalk forum.
Indeed the 3 daily QR A380 to BKK are reduced to 1 as of 1st September + 3 B777/300 in the new dreadful 3-4-3 config - business 2-2-2.
On board experience BRU on B787 and A380 to BKK was 5*, in J understandably.
45 minutes connection time is asking for unhappy customers, what do they want to achieve?
Les pax visiting their Al Mourjan business lounge???

b720

Post by b720 »

I've visited the loft on a weekly basis, pre March 22. I have never seen it in that state like on Thursday May 26. about 6:30 pm. Messy, dirty, no drinks!!, and almost an empty buffet. They had to close the bar, as beer draft was empty! Soda fountain was empty as well.. Staff was overwhelmed, no seats free, not even around the bars.. It was much better at the bars in the terminal than at the loft (at that moment).

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

The problem is also that BRU has never invested some money (or very little) in the areas OUTSIDE the terminal buildings. Yes, they recently did some very minor 'renovations' at the K&R zone and the arrivals area, but it sill looks poor. Certainly the arrivals area outside: it's dark, old and ugly. First impression of Belgium for many passengers... The area where the buses and coaches arrive is even worse: this area is downright disgusting. Filthy asphalt with potholes, amateuristic signs, hardly any place to sit, confusing layout, and all this next to an ugly (Swissport) building, dating from the 60's(?), so it all looks you have arrived in the Soviet Union.

Yes, the INTERIOR of BRU looks OK, but maybe it's time to do something about the OUTSIDE!

Freken

Post by Freken »

Some good(?) news from BRU, the railway station in the "Diamant" will open again as of tomorrow, pre-screening will be performed in the station itself.

barnabelg

Post by barnabelg »

Freken wrote:Some good(?) news from BRU, the railway station in the "Diamant" will open again as of tomorrow, pre-screening will be performed in the station itself.
Makes sense. It's OK for a terrorist to blow himself to pieces on a train in the "Diabolo" tunnel, but not in the elevator to the departures level... :roll:

How long are they going to continue this nonsense? (And not only at BRU. I tried departing from ANR a few days ago, and had the pleasure of being dropped off by the taxi on the street a few hundred metres from the airport building, in the rain.)

I'll stick to non-Belgian airports for now, thank you.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Are the African flights of BRUSSELS Airlines all departing from the T terminal or are some of them departing from B?
THX
Hasta la victoria siempre.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

lumumba wrote:Are the African flights of BRUSSELS Airlines all departing from the T terminal or are some of them departing from B?
THX
North American flights from pier B, all African flights from zone T.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

RoMax wrote:
lumumba wrote:Are the African flights of BRUSSELS Airlines all departing from the T terminal or are some of them departing from B?
THX
North American flights from pier B, all African flights from zone T.
THX

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I'm in Brussels Airport to take my flight and I was surprised that the tents are still there!!!!

It's horrible looks like third world country...
If these checks stay's they have to do it properly with a good infrastructure.

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

lumumba wrote:I'm in Brussels Airport to take my flight and I was surprised that the tents are still there!!!!

Do you really think that implementing new security technology can happen in a few hours, or days? Get over it, and give airport management the time to develop a decent solution for these security matters.

Nobody likes the tents, nobody wants the situation like it is nowadays. Some terrorists decided otherwise. A lot of people are working their asses of (excusez moi le mot), to make the airport go back to normal. So please, stop whining, and enjoy your flight!

I rest my case.

Tompompier

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Tompompier wrote:
lumumba wrote:I'm in Brussels Airport to take my flight and I was surprised that the tents are still there!!!!

Do you really think that implementing new security technology can happen in a few hours, or days? Get over it, and give airport management the time to develop a decent solution for these security matters.

Nobody likes the tents, nobody wants the situation like it is nowadays. Some terrorists decided otherwise. A lot of people are working their asses of (excusez moi le mot), to make the airport go back to normal. So please, stop whining, and enjoy your flight!

I rest my case.

Tompompier
Ok I hear you and understand.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon paying respect to the victims of the attacks today: "we must stay unified!"

André
ex Sabena #26567

evyncke

Post by evyncke »

I do not mind the tent by itself as a temporary building but getting this on road useless inspection (lost 10 minutes late morning at 11:00!) + queuing before the pre-check (5 minutes) is really a lost of time and create a feeling of insecurity.

Next booking will be DUS again :-( even if I feel bad for all workers working hard in the BRU)

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

evyncke wrote:I do not mind the tent by itself as a temporary building but getting this on road useless inspection (lost 10 minutes late morning at 11:00!) + queuing before the pre-check (5 minutes) is really a lost of time and create a feeling of insecurity.

Next booking will be DUS again :-( even if I feel bad for all workers working hard in the BRU)
Oh boy... Drama... :o :o :o :o

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Belgium bashing seems a favourite sport for many Belgians. :(

De Tijd estimates that 8-10% of the business travellers avoid BRU in favour of airports in neighbouring countries, especially for long-haul flights.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 6-3085.art
André
ex Sabena #26567

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

evyncke wrote:

I do not mind the tent by itself as a temporary building but getting this on road useless inspection (lost 10 minutes late morning at 11:00!) + queuing before the pre-check (5 minutes) is really a lost of time and create a feeling of insecurity.

You probably feel more comfortable in DUS because you speak English like a German...
For the rest, you are a bit of a drama queen, indeed...

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I will continue flying from BRU but I don't believe in this check outside what I mean is that it will not happen in the airport but somewhere else in the subway or train station for example...
Because there it's impossible to do that!
I don't like the way the Police is doing things ...

teach

Post by teach »

evyncke wrote:

You're going to another airport because this one time at BRU you lost a grand total of, wait for it .... 15 minutes?

Last time I was at BRU (last week) I lost about 60 seconds on the road check and zero seconds at the precheck.

Guess I'll be booking my next flights from AMS then too huh? :roll:

In understood and fully supported the protests against the checks when people were losing an hour and more on them, that was indeed ridiculous, and I still don't think the checks are the best way to deal with things. But when you come in here saying you'll not use BRU again because in the worst-case scenario you may lose a grand total of 15 minutes, you're not only being a bit of a drama queen, but you more than likely were just looking for an excuse not to use BRU again all along...