Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Conti764

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Conti764 »

sean1982 wrote:Of course YOU would be quite safe :mrgreen:
Your point being...? :roll:

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

b-west wrote:
Jetter wrote:
Next time think twice before you start a Facebook page claiming you speak on behalf of BRU employees. As you can see in this thread that was far from the truth.
Forgive me if I value the opinion of the people I've talked to at the airport higher than that of one lone airline employee here, who only has to pass through the terminal once a day on his way to work. Btw, it bears repeating, I didn't start that page. I merely supported it. My sincere thanks go out to the person who started it. I hope it wasn't all for nothing.
It's only logical to assume it was you as you even listed it as your occupation. Luckily common sense prevails over opportunistic measures and whoever started that action didn't get his way in the end.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Conti764 wrote:
That the job of a policeman ENTAILS that you are exposed to a certain degree of risk that can never be completly eliminated. What is happening now is that thousands of people are being exposed to a MUCH higher risk than before 22/03 just because our beloved airport police wants to be safe inside their building (while in the meantime risking 1000's of jobs at the aiport they are slowly killing. Not that they care, the government pays them anyway, with or without passengers at the airport). Would you like to see the result of one of these nutters blowing themselves up in that crowd in front of the pre-security tents like yesterday? You will have a pool of blood that reaches P58! The attitude of the police unions is nothing more than disgustingly selfish and has NOTHING to do with the interest of the general public's safety. Last time I checked THAT is what they are supposed to defend!

Guess B-west was sick when that course was being thaught

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Conti764 wrote:Besides the possibly false accusation, your reply has nothing to do with his statement you are quoting.

He or she might have it's own reasons to be in favour of the measures taken. You might disagree, as do I, but your statement is not only unsensitive but also a good example of somebody who hasn't been in the situation b-west apparantly has been in.
He listed it as his occupation, so I thought it was him due to his own actions. If have no problem with whoever starting a campaign, but it is dishonest to claim to represent BRU staff in general when that is far from the truth.

b-west

Post by b-west »

Like I said earlier, nobody has provably every changed their mind because of a forum post. So it's also rather pointless for me to correct some of the lies written here. Especially as these come marinated in a bitchy sauce of personal attacks.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Lies? I stand to be corrected :mrgreen:

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sean1982 wrote:
Conti764 wrote:
That the job of a policeman ENTAILS that you are exposed to a certain degree of risk that can never be completly eliminated. What is happening now is that thousands of people are being exposed to a MUCH higher risk than before 22/03 just because our beloved airport police wants to be safe inside their building (while in the meantime risking 1000's of jobs at the aiport they are slowly killing. Not that they care, the government pays them anyway, with or without passengers at the airport). Would you like to see the result of one of these nutters blowing themselves up in that crowd in front of the pre-security tents like yesterday? You will have a pool of blood that reaches P58! The attitude of the police unions is nothing more than disgustingly selfish and has NOTHING to do with the interest of the general public's safety. Last time I checked THAT is what they are supposed to defend!

Guess B-west was sick when that course was being thaught
To be clear, I do not support the measures taken before I too get accused of things which are not true.

To the point...

First of all, who says b-west is a police officer? If he himself acknowledged, okay. But then I have missed it.

Secondly, who do you think is manning the first checkpoint? Indeed, police. Who do you think is targeted first if an attack occurs? Yes, police (and soldiers). I just don't like this anti police atmosphere being created on this forum. Besides, airport police is not only patrolling inside the terminal, but also outside, on the road(s), cargo,... The lack of interest in security of the (airport) management was appalling for years and the airport police as all of the federal police in Belgium has been understaffed and underfinanced for years due to lack of interest in the government.The victems of 22/03 (a police officer included, remember) paid dearly for it...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Well I can tell you that the police standing in front of the pre-check is mostly NOT our beloved airport police but officers who have been summoned from all over the country to do shifts there, my brother included. Any terrorist would not blow himself up in the tent though, when there are hundreds of victims more to be made a few meter earlier with hundreds of people packed together.

The most financed and staffed police force and secret service in the world couldnt stop 09/11. The french police couldnt stop the Paris attacks ... nothing could have stopped the brussels attacks. We are at war and things like this will happen again no matter how much money you throw at it. but knee jerk reactions are only going to kill US in an economic way (but the airport police will be safe :mrgreen: )

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

b720 wrote:Randomly = racial profiling

This will get ugly

It should be all, or no one. Anything else is unacceptable.
Seems many here don't have a clue about profiling.
Took the Israelis many years to do it right, it is a huge investment in people and means.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

thalenoi wrote:

This will get ugly

Seems many here don't have a clue about profiling.
Took the Israelis many years to do it right, it is a huge investment in people and means.
TRUE, but it is the most unobtrusive safe way to go

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sean1982 wrote:Well I can tell you that the police standing in front of the pre-check is mostly NOT our beloved airport police but officers who have been summoned from all over the country to do shifts there, my brother included.
I know how police works, trust me... And it is only because the airport police is heavily understaffed that your brother and other officers have to stand guard at the airport. That's the only reason, not some police unit being afraid, only sitting safely inside the building...
The most financed and staffed police force and secret service in the world couldnt stop 09/11. The french police couldnt stop the Paris attacks ... nothing could have stopped the brussels attacks. We are at war and things like this will happen again no matter how much money you throw at it. but knee jerk reactions are only going to kill US in an economic way (but the airport police will be safe :mrgreen: )
Abdeslam was known, the brothers El Bakraoui were known, many others were known... Nobody could do something because there was a lack of staff and equipment to do so. Those are facts... Why the US failed to stop 9/11 of the French screwed up twice last year, I don't know. But I do know the issues Belgian police is dealing with...

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

This will get ugly

You can determine risk factors that are related to appearance but not ethnicity. Like having a beard etc... Good side-effect will be that hipsters will get checked more as well :D

convair

Post by convair »

teach wrote:
Flanker2 wrote:
This seems to be exactly what is going on.
Don't forget that behind these luchtzak.be avatars hide people working for the airport and politicians.
It's easy to expose them now, just take those who want the pre-screening removed and who ignore all your very logical arguments.
You're not seriously making up conspiracy theories on the spot, are you? Because holy shit!

I don't work for or at the airport, I'm not a politician, nor do I work for one, and I want the pre-screening removed. It's a knee-jerk reaction that damages the airport's reputation, costs thousands of jobs and DOES NOT do anything to stop terrorist attacks. The very most it can HOPE to achieve is that next time, the terrorists will blow themselves up in a busy station, a market, a concert, on the metro (again), on a bus, at a festival, or one of the thousands of other places where they can make just as many victims as they did at BRU. It IS NOT an efficient nor effective way to spend money on combating terrorism. You don't counter terrorism by spending millions on turning ONE place into a fortress while there are COUNTLESS other places where the terrorists could cause just as much suffering. Spend that money where it's actually needed (the actual counter-terrorims units that are ridiculously understaffed, and state security) and the results will be MUCH better.

What we're seeing now is security theater, nothing more, nothing less. I mean, for crying out loud, even the Israelis don't have this nonsensical systematic pre-screening of everyone's luggage that we see in BRU today. And if there's one country that knows how to deal with terrorism, it's the Israelis. If they don't even do this, why should we?
Regarding your first sentence hereabove: having read many of his posts I can tell you the answer is yes, he (holy sh.t!) is.

But I fully agree with the rest of your post!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b-west wrote:My sincere thanks go out to the person who started it. I hope it wasn't all for nothing.
The nice person who started that Facebook page banned everybody who disagreed with his opinion. Freedom of speech?
André
ex Sabena #26567

b-west

Post by b-west »

sn26567 wrote:
b-west wrote:My sincere thanks go out to the person who started it. I hope it wasn't all for nothing.
The nice person who started that Facebook page banned everybody who disagreed with his opinion. Freedom of speech?
And you're blaming me for that? Or what's the point of addressing me about it? If this blame game continues it'll soon turn out that I was the mastermind behind March 22.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

So, what can we make of the idea of selective profiling to be implemented as from tomorrow?

1- will it significantly reduce waiting times?

2- will BRU return to 'normal' reporting times again as a consequence? When?

3- is this the last hurdle to get BRU back on track to (new) normality?

I have a ZRH flight tomorrow afternoon: I'm curious as to how it goes.

teach

Post by teach »

Jetter wrote:

This will get ugly

You can determine risk factors that are related to appearance but not ethnicity. Like having a beard etc... Good side-effect will be that hipsters will get checked more as well :D
In selective profiling (the technique that will be used at BRU) you're not looking at people's appearance, you're looking at their behavior. Terrorists don't 'look' a certain way, if anything they'll try to look as normal as possible. They blend in. But it's almost impossible for anyone who's up to no good to not behave in such a way that a trained professional can't recognise as suspicious: nervousness, sweaty palms, etc. THAT is what they'll be looking for. It's what Israelis have been doing for years. Soldiers will even stare right into your eyes when you enter the terminal in TLV, just to see how you react. You'll be asked questions while waiting to check in, but their main interest isn't so much what your answers are to the questions. They'll be studying your behavior while answering.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

teach wrote:In selective profiling (the technique that will be used at BRU) you're not looking at people's appearance, you're looking at their behavior. Terrorists don't 'look' a certain way, if anything they'll try to look as normal as possible. They blend in. But it's almost impossible for anyone who's up to no good to not behave in such a way that a trained professional can't recognise as suspicious: nervousness, sweaty palms, etc. THAT is what they'll be looking for. It's what Israelis have been doing for years. Soldiers will even stare right into your eyes when you enter the terminal in TLV, just to see how you react. You'll be asked questions while waiting to check in, but their main interest isn't so much what your answers are to the questions. They'll be studying your behavior while answering.
What you're saying makes sense, and that's probably how it'll work out. Terrorists are hardly ever blonde though, and facial hair is more prevalent than among the general public.

Paris:

9/11:
Last edited by Jetter on 03 May 2016, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Can someone tell me here why there is not any pre-screening in every subway station in Brussels? :o

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

never mind...