Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by sn26567 »

BAC would prefer the airport and the railway station to be called just "Brussels Airport" (and also the road signs to the airport), but Belgian politics being what it is, meddling with everything, ...
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Just arrived here back for the first times after the attacks.
My opinion , you can fly again so positif!
Negative : waiting lines , too many stairs, walking between concrete cellars and parkings, not good signs how and where to walk, proven useless military, unfriendly guidance..,..

My conclusion : you can fly but what a loss of image, this could have been handled much better, or if you like to sell it like this wrap it in in a nice paper ..
Really can't blame people moving temperary to AMS , dus,..
Feeling so sad for SN, this will take long to get the image right again of BRU airport and Brussels ...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

cathay belgium wrote:Hi,

Just arrived here back for the first times after the attacks.
My opinion , you can fly again so positif!
Negative : waiting lines , too many stairs, walking between concrete cellars and parkings, not good signs how and where to walk, proven useless military, unfriendly guidance..,..

My conclusion : you can fly but what a loss of image, this could have been handled much better, or if you like to sell it like this wrap it in in a nice paper ..
Really can't blame people moving temperary to AMS , dus,..
Feeling so sad for SN, this will take long to get the image right again of BRU airport and Brussels ...

CXB

That's normal the airport has to be rebuild what's woring me more is if they stay with there security check in the future if from now on you have to be 2 or 3 hours in advance at the airport I realy think it will not work.
I take only in my company for the most of us it's than easyer to go true Schiphol or CDG...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I contacted Brussels Airport about those three hours : they told me it is an advice for travellers to clear formalities without stress. A seasoned traveller with only hand baggage could do much faster.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

The real question is, is it or is it not possible to arrive 1h before the flight as previously ?
Thats the only important question for business travelers.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

b-west

Post by b-west »

When traveling with hand luggage only and if you checked in on line, I believe 1hr shld be possible. There are mobile boarding pass readers at the entry checkpoint as well now.

Pocahontas

Post by Pocahontas »

For those who already took a flight out of BRU; Do you really need 3 hours?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Brussels Airport is no exception for the check-in time:

AMS: 2 hours for intra-Europe, 3 hours for extra-Europe
http://www.schiphol.nl/Reizigers/OpSchi ... hecken.htm

CDG: 1,5 hours for short haul and medium haul, 3 hours for long haul
http://www.parisaeroport.fr/passagers/p ... gistrement

CRL: 4 hours before departure at this moment: "...En raison de l’actualité, l’aéroport de Charleroi Bruxelles Sud tient à rappeler qu’il est conseillé d’arriver à l’aéroport au moins quatre heures avant votre départ et de consulter également les sites des compagnies aériennes pour vous tenir informés. Nous vous remercions de votre compréhension..."
http://www.charleroi-airport.com/

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

I have seen the departure hall... Apart from the direct blast zones, a lot of work has been done. I give it a week or two max to reopen part of it...

About the station... It's not hit itself, but I heard the diamond is in pretty bad shape, hence reopening the old station which will have direct access to the temporary check-in...

The checks will remain but won't be as horrible as many expect.

Shuttie

Post by Shuttie »

I travelled out on Wednesday evening. I arrived at the Airport around 18:00, with only hand luggage, and I was at the gate, on pier B by 18:45.
There were queues but they flowed well.. loads of staff on hand to assist and guide you.
Of course lots of police, army and security but that was expected.
I think 3hrs may be needed during the morning rush, but later in the day, the usual 1.5 to 2 hrs should be sufficient.
Also note that you cannot use your smartphones, you need a printed boarding pass.

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

sn26567 wrote:BAC would prefer the airport and the railway station to be called just "Brussels Airport" (and also the road signs to the airport), but Belgian politics being what it is, meddling with everything, ...
Everybody in my surroundings knows the airport as: "luchthaven zaventem" If you say Brussels airport to them, they think you are talking about charleroi airport. (They know it as Brussels south airport)

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Shuttie wrote:Also note that you cannot use your smartphones, you need a printed boarding pass.

Mobile documents are accepted now again...no ?

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/ ... lines.aspx

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote:Brussels Airport is no exception for the check-in time:

CDG: 1,5 hours for short haul and medium haul, 3 hours for long haul
http://www.parisaeroport.fr/passagers/p ... gistrement

CRL: 4 hours before departure at this moment: "...En raison de l’actualité, l’aéroport de Charleroi Bruxelles Sud tient à rappeler qu’il est conseillé d’arriver à l’aéroport au moins quatre heures avant votre départ et de consulter également les sites des compagnies aériennes pour vous tenir informés. Nous vous remercions de votre compréhension..."
http://www.charleroi-airport.com/
It's not true I called KLM for my flight on next Monday and they told me that 40 minute with my internet check in and no luggage is perfect.

And last week I did the trip from Brussels Zuid and it went very smooth.

Another thing,believe me I realy love to fly true Brussels Airport and Star Alliance,I'm fighting for BRU and it will be without the security check ....
Because if not it will never survive this way,like I said before it's not Tell Aviv in Israel you don't have competition if you fly it has to be true Tel Aviv...
Last edited by lumumba on 16 Apr 2016, 19:08, edited 2 times in total.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Shengenzone wrote:Everybody in my surroundings knows the airport as: "luchthaven zaventem" If you say Brussels airport to them, they think you are talking about charleroi airport. (They know it as Brussels south airport)
Your surroundings are quite stupid if I may say. I think everyone in Belgium knows that Brussels Airport is the one of Brussels.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote:
Passenger wrote:Brussels Airport is no exception for the check-in time:
It's not true I called KLM for my flight on next Monday and they told me that 40 minute with my internet check in and no luggage is perfect.
Agree with you. KLM says 40 minutes with previous KLM online check-in, no luggage. However, Schiphol Amsterdam Airport plays it safe and they say "2-3 hours". This is a copy/paste from the above link:
• Europese bestemming minimaal 2 uur voor de vertrektijd
• Bestemming buiten Europa minimaal 3 uur voor de vertrektijd.

(40 minutes is a high risk though for non-Schengen flights, given the waiting time at AMS passport control)

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Yes lumumba, and if you call SN they'll reply the same as KL... You mix a general advice with a personal one. I guess if you look long enough for a reason, you will always find a reason to 'prove' your point...

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Everybody in my surroundings knows the airport as: "luchthaven zaventem" If you say Brussels airport to them, they think you are talking about charleroi airport. (They know it as Brussels south airport)
I agree. The name Zaventem is more known abroad than you may think.
'Zaventem' is for BRU as 'Schiphol' is for AMS.
No need to have 'Brussels airport' signs allover the place.

convair

Post by convair »

So, they are now calling the railways station "Brussels Airport Zaventem".

One might have expected that this would make everyone happy.

Not so!!! This is narrow-minded Belgium after all!

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

Ryanair was the first one to call CRL "Brussels-South" to attract more people from Brussels and the north of the country .They have the same strategy for many places in Europe. Now they are flying from Zaventem too , they are calling CRL " Brussels-Charleroi" and BRU " Brussels-Zaventem".

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Conti764 wrote:Yes lumumba, and if you call SN they'll reply the same as KL... You mix a general advice with a personal one. I guess if you look long enough for a reason, you will always find a reason to 'prove' your point...

Not at all I realy hope they tell me the same at Brussels Airlines today .
But no,I called them and they told me that I HAVE to be there 3 hours in advance .
I would travel true Brussels,it's the easiest airport for me .