Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

webstermc

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by webstermc »

sean1982 wrote:
pilot_gent wrote:
RoMax wrote:If the pre-check continues to run so smooth as it currently does, there hardly is any need to come earlier to the airport.
2 days ago I had to be at the airport (through the pre-check), in stead of driving 35 minutes to work, it took me 1 hour. very smooth... :?

And this is for an airport running at reduced capacity

BRU better lower its handeling fees significantly as no airline is gonna put up with this crap at the current price.
2 days ago there was a different situation. It's the only day unitl now there was a traffic jam (that I know of), and then it was because of bad signalisation by the police (a big 'X'of the police made that nobody took the fly over and everyone was taking the roundabout).

So don't take 1 time traffic jam as a prove that it is always going wrong and that there is always a traffic jam

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

So what you are saying is that security inconveniences for all passengers need to be compensated through generally lower fees for airlines?

I understand why you'd ask for this, Sean, but I doubt its going to happen since such isn't in equal interest of all airlines operating at BRU, let alone that of the airport itself: on the contrary even, it would cost them a lot of money in the short term AND it would strategically weaken them further in the long term in top!

In contrast, I could very well see a situation where standard airport fees will go up further even (not just at BRU, btw), and then its up to the airlines to see if such is still a commercially viable environment to operate in. It will definitely mean less people will be flying from Brussels and Belgium, but the more sensitive to low pricing the customer profile of an airline is, the more difficult it will become for that airlines to attract passengers indeed, so some will probably suffer more from it than others: however THAT outcome may be more in BRU's long term strategic interest. ;)

Rather than lowering airport fees lineairly like you propose, BRU would be better of by giving just certain strategic customers of theirs tailor made concessions outside of the realm of airport fees; that way they can limit the financial impact of their concessions AND turn a diversified pricing strategy into a tool to help them pretty much hand pick who they accept as customer in future and who not. For an privately owned airport which may have a lack capacity for the foreseeable future, it's highly important to be able to maximize the return on that limited capacity, so now is the right moment to successfully enforce such a strategic change.

The dramatic events of last month should not be wasted and should be used as occasion to come up with a new pricing structure more adapted to that of a privately run business aiming at maximizing its own financial result, rather than that of a public service which should accommodate all demands in the same way.
Last edited by Inquirer on 07 Apr 2016, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Even then webster, its a ridiculous situation. We are the only airport in europe (and almost the world) who does this. We, as belgian citizens, have been stripped of our freedom and rights. Partly because of those bastards that blew themselves up and partly because of the unions trying to thriumph on the back of innocent victims.

What's next? If they tell you tomorrow, you can only enter in underwear, you would also say:" but ... Its not that bad" (im not talking to you personally btw, dont take it personal)

I (and many people around me) are outraged about how the unions and authorities handled the aftermath of the attack and there is one thing I know for sure: you dont defend your freedom and rights by giving them up. BRU has the same measures now as baghdad airport, and here I was thinking I was living in Western europe :roll:

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer, im not going to go into a discussion about SN vs FR as you try to stear it (as usual) cause its not my point. I think the fact that there are suddenly no 50 press conferences about numbers says enough.

And maybe you should read up on EU rules, cause you proposed strategy for BRU is totally against EU rules.
Last edited by sean1982 on 07 Apr 2016, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:Inquirer, im not going to go into a discussion about SN vs FR as you try to stear it (as usual). I think the fact that there are suddenly no 50 press conferences about numbers says enough.

And maybe you should read up on EU rules, cause you proposed strategy for BRU is totally against EU rules.
You sir should better stop 'living your company' and reading everything posted in topics not remotely related to it, as being posted as pro or against it.
We're discussing the reopening of BRU and how this can best be done.
I am explaining you why it is far better for them NOT just to hand out general discounts like you ask for, but rather work through a targeted approach aimed at those customers most important to their business.
You clearly don't like that idea, but that doesn't make it less valid for discussion or in fact the better outcome for BRU.

As to BRU airport not holding a press conference about their numbers yet, I really don't get that remark: they have been in the news every single day over the last 2 weeks with more pressing things, I should day and I expect them to post their monthly overviews at the normal interval, in about a week from now.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Again, EU rules clearly forbid that. Airports cannot favour customers through a different pricing strategy. That is the essence of the court case that is still pending against SN and the belgian government. Whether you like that or not. BRU chose to put all their eggs in a relativly fragile basket (you would think they would have learned from the past) and now all the stops need to be pulled out so the basket doesnt break. I have many friends at SN and I hope they will do well. That's all im going to say about it cause I dont want to read another 20 longwinded posts. My point was about the security situation (and the effect on customer behaviour), nothing more nothing less.

Im far from "living my company". In fact im on point of leaving it, but my views reaches further then belgium.

travellover

Post by travellover »

Looking at BRU website, about long haul :

SN551 to Toronto took off at 10:36 (332) and UA998 to Newark took off at 10:55 (772).
HU491, ARR : 05:55 (333) and ET704, ARR : 08:45 (788) are back tomorrow morning.
Cheers

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

Inquirer wrote: In contrast, I could very well see a situation where standard airport fees will go up further even (not just at BRU, btw), and then its up to the airlines to see if such is still a commercially viable environment to operate in. It will definitely mean less people will be flying from Brussels and Belgium, but the more sensitive to low pricing the customer profile of an airline is, the more difficult it will become for that airlines to attract passengers indeed, so some will probably suffer more from it than others: however THAT outcome may be more in BRU's long term strategic interest. ;)

Rather than lowering airport fees lineairly like you propose, BRU would be better of by giving just certain strategic customers of theirs tailor made concessions outside of the realm of airport fees; that way they can limit the financial impact of their concessions AND turn a diversified pricing strategy into a tool to help them pretty much hand pick who they accept as customer in future and who not. For an privately owned airport which may have a lack capacity for the foreseeable future, it's highly important to be able to maximize the return on that limited capacity, so now is the right moment to successfully enforce such a strategic change.

The dramatic events of last month should not be wasted and should be used as occasion to come up with a new pricing structure more adapted to that of a privately run business aiming at maximizing its own financial result, rather than that of a public service which should accommodate all demands in the same way.
Increased airport charges and fewer operators being in the interest of normal Belgian citizens? A piece of privately operated but strategically important public infrastructure (receiving many indirect state subsidies) being able to "cherry pick" customers for its own benefit? :roll:

I could imagine someone still writing such things in one of the African failed States... but in Belgium?

Fortunately there is still a reasonable justice system...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bus lines 12 and 21 of STIB/MIVB are now operational again. The Antwerp Airport Express bus line is also running normally as of today.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

travellover wrote:Looking at BRU website, about long haul :

SN551 to Toronto took off at 10:36 (332) and UA998 to Newark took off at 10:55 (772).
HU491, ARR : 05:55 (333) and ET704, ARR : 08:45 (788) are back tomorrow morning.
AFAIK this is the 'official' inaugural flight of Brussels Airlines between BRU and YYZ.

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:Again, EU rules clearly forbid that. Airports cannot favour customers through a different pricing strategy.
You clearly don't read me correctly, or alternatively I misexplained my point: I am not saying they should just give a discount to airline A and not (or much less) to airline B. What I am saying is the opposite even: the increased security measures at BRU will likely lead to increased fees for ALL if this situation remains for a protracted period of time! I don't like it either, but its common sense someone will have to pay the bill.

If BRU is to help stimulate its business, unlike your proposal to linear give an identical discount to everybody serving the airport, there are far better ways to do so, all without creating a budgetary deficit.

Think about it for a second: the only infrastructure damaged is the check in zone, right?
All the rest is in perfect condition still, so it would be logical for the airport to aim at stimulating connecting passenger flows for now, as this will not put any burden on their limited check in capacities AND will quickly make good for the origin/destination clients lost.

They can perfectly do so by slashing their fees for both transit and transfer clients: no European rule forbids them from doing that. Not all airlines at BRU will be able to benefit from it, but that's because of their own business model, not because of the airport's desire not to let them benefit.

Just because something isn't beneficial to one particular airline, doesnt automatically make it illegal, you know? I think BRU is a nice example of an airport where no single customer has an overwhelming market share, so I really don't get your claim about them putting all of their eggs in just one basket, nor do I see any proof of a need to pull all stops like you claim.

In fact, the only one almost immediately using the opportunity to suggest financial compensation, were you, with me pointing out such would not only cost a lot to the airport if done the way you'd want to see it, as well as suggesting there might be cheaper and more efficient ways to achieve even better results for both airport and country (albeit I agree such method would not be in the interest of your particulate employer then), after which you had to vent your frustrations with this alternative method I proposed.
Last edited by Inquirer on 07 Apr 2016, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

sean1982 wrote:....
What's next? If they tell you tomorrow, you can only enter in underwear, you would also say:" but ... Its not that bad" (im not talking to you personally btw, dont take it personal)
Don't worry, I'm not taking this personnally.

I did not give an opinion yet about the need of these extra checks (I don't want them), but they are there now and until now, everything seems to go relatively smooth, so I just wanted to stop the persons who were yelling that they will avoid BRU due to the extra time it would take to go to the airport...

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Inquirer wrote:Think about it for a second: the only infrastructure damaged is the check in zone, right?
All the rest is in perfect condition still, so it would be logical for the airport to aim at stimulating connecting passenger flows for now, as this will not put any burden on their limited check in capacities AND will quickly make good for the origin/destination clients lost.
You are right that this is allowed by the EU, though given the circumstances it's much less practical than you suggest.

You can't run an airline profitably with just transfer traffic as O&D passengers pay more and thus account for the main share of the profit. Hence you won't find any hub without at least ~1/3 O&D. Besides that transfer traffic relies on 'waves' of departures demanding high peak capacity to create smooth connections, while point-to-point traffic allows for departures spread throughout the day. These factors combined mean that while transferring passengers themselves don't put a strain on the impacted areas, the transfer operation as a whole suffers most from the highly reduced peak capacity at BRU. To illustrate that with a simple example: what puts a bigger strain on check-in capacity, 12 airplanes with 100% O&D departing 15 minutes from each-other or 12 airplanes departing at the same time with only 40% O&D?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer, that post alone shows you total detachment from the aviation world and your blind wish to give as much preference to SN as possible and even willingness to sacrifice other belgian airlines for that sake.

Like Jetter says it is the complexity of airlines like SN, UA, AC, EK etc .... that puts the largest strain on the check in facilities not the LCC's

I understand your crusade against them but all the LCC's can run their entire operation with only one check in desk if needed be. 80% of LCC passengers do not need to be checked in and have no bags to drop, so under you point of view they should be offered the largest discount then.

But again, that was not the point of my initial post. The financial incentive should be for airline to keep flying to BRU when losing valuable customers who dont want to go through the unions's theatre show and losing valuable time.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Inquirer : spot on.

And it's weird to read someone complaining about fair competition and EU rules on Belgian airports, whilst his favourite airport pays no contribution to Belgocontrol, thus competing unfairly against airports that do pay their contribution towards Belgocontrol.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:Inquirer : spot on.

And it's weird to read someone complaining about fair competition and EU rules on Belgian airports, whilst his favourite airport pays no contribution to Belgocontrol, thus competing unfairly against airports that do pay their contribution towards Belgocontrol.
Since when is an airline responsible for that. Blame our brillliant politicians for that ;) (since when do you decide what my favourite airport is btw?)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

pilot_gent wrote:
RoMax wrote:If the pre-check continues to run so smooth as it currently does, there hardly is any need to come earlier to the airport.
2 days ago I had to be at the airport (through the pre-check), in stead of driving 35 minutes to work, it took me 1 hour. very smooth... :?

And this is for an airport running at reduced capacity
Are you talking about driving for 1 hour to the airport or the pre-check to enter the terminal (the checks on the roads are not the pre-check I'm talking about and yes traffic jams at some locations are still a big problem at some hours, although it very much depends on the route you take). The pre-check to enter the terminal actually has a much bigger throughput than what was expected.

But hey don't get me wrong, I will be the last person to defend those checks, and especially the way they handle the throughput on the road. But there is no point in saying it will turn BRU into a regional airport and let SN go bankrupt, like some do, that's just bullsh*t.

teach

Post by teach »

RoMax wrote:But there is no point in saying it will turn BRU into a regional airport and let SN go bankrupt, like some do, that's just bullsh*t.
No, it very much isn't. A few days ago it was already mentioned on the radio news that business travellers are avoiding BRU like the plague precisely because of the long waits, and the fact they had to be at the airport three hours in advance. This was EXPLICITLY mentioned as the main reason. While bookings were down massively accross the board (which is normal after the attack and the closure of the airport) is was notable that business traveller bookings were down considerably more than others. It was also explicitly mentioned they were booking flights from neighboring countries to avoid the long waits.

Now think for a second what that will do if they keep these insane rules up, and keep demanding that passengers show up three hours before their flight. Business travellers WILL permanently move their business to airports in neighboring countries if it saves them time. There is no doubt about that. If SN loses an important part of their business travellers, that will immediately send them deep into the red again. Something which, because of the massive cost of the closure they really can't afford right now. LH won't be there to save them, and neither will the government.

Don't believe me? Wait a few months, till the layoffs start being announced.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

teach wrote:
RoMax wrote:But there is no point in saying it will turn BRU into a regional airport and let SN go bankrupt, like some do, that's just bullsh*t.
No, it very much isn't. A few days ago it was already mentioned on the radio news that business travellers are avoiding BRU like the plague precisely because of the long waits, and the fact they had to be at the airport three hours in advance. This was EXPLICITLY mentioned as the main reason. While bookings were down massively accross the board (which is normal after the attack and the closure of the airport) is was notable that business traveller bookings were down considerably more than others. It was also explicitly mentioned they were booking flights from neighboring countries to avoid the long waits.

Now think for a second what that will do if they keep these insane rules up, and keep demanding that passengers show up three hours before their flight. Business travellers WILL permanently move their business to airports in neighboring countries if it saves them time. There is no doubt about that. If SN loses an important part of their business travellers, that will immediately send them deep into the red again. Something which, because of the massive cost of the closure they really can't afford right now. LH won't be there to save them, and neither will the government.

Don't believe me? Wait a few months, till the layoffs start being announced.
I hope that people from Brussels Airlines read you!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Everett

Post by Everett »

Any news when the train station will be re-opened?