Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by sn26567 »

BRUpilot wrote:
BATAVIA wrote:No news about JAF and TC resuming flights ex BRU?
Apparantlly not....
As of the 12th of April, All Thomas Cook Airlines operations will move to Brussels Airport again. Until then, LGG will handle all their flights.

Source: Flightlevel
Flightlevel is wrong twice. Thomas Cook will already operate three flights out of BRU this weekend: Marrakech, Agadir and Heraklion. And from 12 April, only 65% of their flights return to BRU, the remaining 35% stay at LGG.

Jetairfly hasn't taken a decision yet on when they return to BRU. Meanwhile, they remain at OST at least until 11 April, to ensure that all returns from Easter holidays are in the same airport as departures.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Air Canada resumes full Brussels flight schedule on Thursday April 7th.
André
ex Sabena #26567

travellover

Post by travellover »

travellover wrote:About the renovation of the departure hall in a new countenance. Is the first stage beginning soon ?
Trainferry wrote:I'm also curious about this. I'm wondering if a part of the terminal will reopen or if they prefer to hold it closed till all work is done. Only time will tell I supose.
teach wrote:Does anyone know if the draconian knee-jerk safety theater requiring passengers to arrive at the airport three hours in advance will continue or even become permanent? Because if it does, that'll be the end of SN, and will reduce BRU to a small regional airport you only fly to or from if you have no other choice. It'll kill the airport stone dead.
It has been said by Brussels Airport if I'm right that the renewed departure hall would be different from the former one. Are the plans and the practical forward ? In a balance between safety and speed for the (near) future.
Cheers

dna

Post by dna »

I flew to GVA this morning, on SN 2711, first flight of the day. No queues at first police checkpoint. I was directed to P2, even though the other car parks are now open as well. Very few passengers around at 5am, hence no queues anywhere. Quite a few flights of stairs to reach the Connector, but I will do anything to stay fit :-)

Very quiet once inside the terminal, but then again the GVA flight was the only one to depart around that time (6.20 am). LF not more than 40%. Crew apologised for not being able to offer normal onboard service. Received free cake and coffee, even though I was travelling in Check & Go.

I hope business will pick up soon, and that we will see the normal hustle and bustle in the airport.

Konus

Post by Konus »

sn26567 wrote:
BRUpilot wrote:
BATAVIA wrote:No news about JAF and TC resuming flights ex BRU?
Apparantlly not....
As of the 12th of April, All Thomas Cook Airlines operations will move to Brussels Airport again. Until then, LGG will handle all their flights.

Source: Flightlevel
Flightlevel is wrong twice. Thomas Cook will already operate three flights out of BRU this weekend: Marrakech, Agadir and Heraklion. And from 12 April, only 65% of their flights return to BRU, the remaining 35% stay at LGG.

Jetairfly hasn't taken a decision yet on when they return to BRU. Meanwhile, they remain at OST at least until 11 April, to ensure that all returns from Easter holidays are in the same airport as departures.
These three TCW flights on the weekend are operated by SN and not HQ itself.

travellover

Post by travellover »

No Hainan official news. Same logical than ANA ?
Cheers

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

sean1982 wrote:Ryanair will probably operate full program from friday onwards. Full confirmation on thursday.
Evening wave will land in CRL on thursday and position to BRU afterwards to be ready for friday morning wave.
Good to hear it... even if the re-start will be far from FR full program ex-BRU (until Apr., 19th)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

emirates canceled until the 15th ?
why not trying to fly from LGG like thai ?
It would break their wonderfull "exprience" maybe ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Sonho1985

Post by Sonho1985 »

Just called TAP-callcenter to check the reservation for my wife and kids this Saturday.
Confusing info, first operator told there are no flights yet to BRU until unkown date. AMS, ORY and LUX flights were are full for that day, so the only option was the extra Ostend-flight what would mean 8 hours of transit time in LIS with 2 young and tired children after an inbound flight from Brazil --> my poor wife :?
I forgot to ask about the DUS-flight.

So I called my wife to check here preference (maybe chance the FOR-LIS flight to another day). She preferred OST so I recalled TP. Now a second operator attended en she told me TAP is actually going to operate 1 flight a day (TP618) to BRU starting this weekend.

Those guys should have a short meeting before their shift starts, getting everyone up-to-date :roll:

Trainferry

Post by Trainferry »

As I can see in their reservation system, the only flights that can be booked on this moment for the month of April is TP613 (BRU LIS) and TP618 (LIS BRU)...seems very clear I think, but they won't confirm anything, so I think they're still negotiating, maybe for more flights? I cannot imagine that an airliner prefers to give no adequate information?

I think it makes all travelers very nervous (as for me), but still: only time will tell.

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

Delta may drop Atlanta, but plane spotters receive quite a surprise. Their JFK flight will operate normally as off 8 april, but not with a 767-300ER; An A330 is scheduled for the route. Probably because of high loads on the first flight(s)...

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

Read this in an article:

An Emirates spokesperson confirmed that the Brussels’ services will resume on Friday April 15 with a 2.20pm departure from Dubai (EK183), which is due to land in the Belgian capital at 7.25pm (local time). The return flight leaves Brussels at 10.30pm, arriving in Dubai on Saturday April 16 at 7.05am.

Can someone confirm these are the new schedules of ALL EK's flights to and from Brussels as off 15 april? Because that would mean quite a change...

So:
STA:1925 (UTC+2)
STD: 2230 (UTC+2)

source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emirates ... 27418.html

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

BRUpilot wrote:Read this in an article:

An Emirates spokesperson confirmed that the Brussels’ services will resume on Friday April 15 with a 2.20pm departure from Dubai (EK183), which is due to land in the Belgian capital at 7.25pm (local time). The return flight leaves Brussels at 10.30pm, arriving in Dubai on Saturday April 16 at 7.05am.

Can someone confirm these are the new schedules of ALL EK's flights to and from Brussels as off 15 april? Because that would mean quite a change...

So:

No need to consult Arabian sources. ;) It was posted here on Luchtzak this morning: https://www.aviation24.be/brussels-airport ... 5th-april/
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Sheraton hotel at Brussels Airport was a collateral victim of the attacks. It had to close by lack of access! It will reopen Friday 8 April, 7am.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BRUpilot

Post by BRUpilot »

sn26567 wrote:
BRUpilot wrote:Read this in an article:

So:

No need to consult Arabian sources. ;) It was posted here on Luchtzak this morning: https://www.aviation24.be/brussels-airport ... 5th-april/
Should have seen that... Thanks André, for this clarification!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Good that Brussels (both Airport and Airlines) comes back to life. Look at this table showing the top destinations from Geneva:

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

As of today, flights are also leaving from/arriving at gates B: this means the situation is back to normal for all arriving passengers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Qatar Airways will come back on 11th April
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I cannot resist reproducing here an article just published in Aviation Week about the nes security procedures in BRU:

German Airport Group Rips BRU’s Enhanced Security

BRUSSELS—Brussels Airport (BRU) reopened for commercial passenger traffic 12 days after suicide bombers attacked its departure hall, but the new and vastly enhanced security procedures were criticized by the German airports association, ADV.

These procedures “cannot and must not be an example for German airports,” ADV CEO Ralph Beisel said. He described the introduction of several controls before entering the departure hall as “a precipitous action under the shock of the attacks and under pressure from frightened workers.” The security risk is not eliminated, he said, but “only displaced before the terminals.”

Germany’s airports do not have the right infrastructure to accommodate inspections outside the terminals, according to Beisel, who warned that a shift of checks to outside areas could “even impair existing rescue and security concepts for instance by blocking access routes for ambulances, fire engines and the police cars.”

Following the March 22 dual-bombings that severely damaged BRU’s departure hall and killed more than 10 at the airport, management worked around the clock on a temporary solution that would allow the partial reopening of the facility. It built two big white tents and installed check-in desk at the bus station level in front of Terminal A, which was not damaged by the terror attacks.

Belgian federal police last week, however, threatened strikes if their demands for additional security measures were not met. Police unions and Belgium’s interior ministry reached a deal on April 1, clearing the way for a “symbolic” reopening of the airport on April 3 with just three passenger flights operated by Brussels Airlines.

Under the new system, only passengers with printed travel documents—those shown on electronic devices such as smartphones are not accepted—and ID cards/passports are allowed into the makeshift departure hall. All passengers and their bags are checked when entering the pre-check-in zone, where scanners have been installed. Once inside, travelers will still have to ascend via stairs to the airport building and go through the usual airside access and security controls before reaching their gates.

Luggage carts are available for use in transporting bags from the car parking lot to the entrance of the temporary departures hall, but they are not allowed in the temporary pre-check in zone, and passengers have to carry all baggage by hand.

The airport will initially only be accessible by car and taxi, and not by bus or train. There are random police inspections of cars on the airport’s approach road and a camera has been installed to check all vehicle license plates. The police unions wanted a systematic checks of cars, but this request was rejected to avoid traffic jams.

There will also be additional checks and screenings of all personnel working at the airport.

Arnaud Feist, CEO of Brussels Airport Co., recognized that this “solution won’t offer the quality and comfort that passengers are used to at Brussels Airport” and he said he hopes the airport will be able to run at maximum capacity by the end of June or beginning of July. Demolition work in the damaged departure hall has started and in the coming weeks, the airport operator will be developing a strategic plan for the reconstruction of the departure hall. This will take place in two stages. The first stage will be focused on restoring the functionality of several check-in desks in the departure hall. In the second stage, the work will targeted toward a comprehensive reopening of the departure hall. The arrivals hall was only slightly damaged and repairs have been completed. Brussels Airlines scheduled 20 flights from BRU on April 4, only 10% of its normal daily flight schedule of about 200 flights. The Star Alliance member has diverted several of its flights to the regional Belgian airports of Liege and Antwerp since the terror attacks (Aviation Daily, March 23).

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-avia ... d-security

My comment: this shows again that the actions by the airport police unions were excessive and irresponsible.
André
ex Sabena #26567