Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

torchus

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by torchus »

When will public transport be allowed again?

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

When Fedpol decide....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b720 wrote:How can they operate an airport not allowing public transport?
You can walk 20-25 minutes from/to Zaventem train station. I did that twice per day when working at Sabena. Excellent for your health.

And give them also some time to arrange for the safety of the train/bus stations of the airport. The world wasn't created in one day!
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Darjeeling wrote:I am quite surprised not to read anything about Delta's decision to cancel the ATL route for at least one year.
Do you sometimes look at the homepage of Luchtzak? ;)
It was announced here yesterday:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/delta-a ... s-airport/
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:
You can walk 20-25 minutes from/to Zaventem train station. I did that twice per day when working at Sabena. Excellent for your health.

And give them also some time to arrange for the safety of the train/bus stations of the airport. The world wasn't created in one day!
It's been 3 weeks André. Tell to a businessman who only has a short time to get onto an aircraft: Sure, just walk 25 min to the airport. It's good for your health. (Btw, now walking is suddenly "piece of cake", but walking from the gate to the aircraft was a disgrace a few months ago :roll: )

SN539

Post by SN539 »

sn26567 wrote:

Maybe excellent for health but I doubt BRU potential travelers will take this in consideration. Let's be serious ...En what do you mean by "arrange for the safety of busses" ? Are they going to put soldiers on every De Lijn bus driving to the airport ? I also find this is a really shameful situation. I don't know what is the hidden agenda of FEDPOL but anyway the present measures are totally unefficient and do absolutely not reinforce the feeling of safety within the population ... Sad :(

b-west

Post by b-west »

sean1982 wrote: It's been 3 weeks André. Tell to a businessman who only has a short time to get onto an aircraft: Sure, just walk 25 min to the airport. It's good for your health. (Btw, now walking is suddenly "piece of cake", but walking from the gate to the aircraft was a disgrace a few months ago :roll: )
I never mind walking to the plane, gives me some time to snatch a few pics of the apron. But I agree public transport links should be re-established as fast as possible. You can't just tell people to walk from Zaventem station. Now that the airport is operational again, we should strive to make it accessible in a safe way not just by those who can come by car.

b-west

Post by b-west »

SN539 wrote: I don't know what is the hidden agenda of FEDPOL but anyway the present measures are totally unefficient and do absolutely not reinforce the feeling of safety within the population ... Sad :(
I've heard other things, but pray, do tell, what would you do then? (and hidden agenda? obviously they want to install a police state and they're out to get you... :mrgreen: )

b720

Post by b720 »

sn26567 wrote:

Are u serious? Mentality like this keeps is what keeps this country from flying!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

It's amazing to read how some people seems to think that nothing fatal has happened, that we're back on safety level 1, that Brussels Airport isn't doing everything that can be done to operate the airport as normal as possible. It's not the airport that decides what is possible now: it's the federal Police. And within the federal Police, it's not the police chief who decides, but the unions. That is Belgium 2016.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b720 wrote:Are u serious? Mentality like this keeps is what keeps this country from flying!
What really kept this country from flying was the attitude of the Airport Police. Without their blocking, much more would already have been achieved, and in particular access by car and by public transportation.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Passenger wrote:It's amazing to read how some people seems to think that nothing fatal has happened, that we're back on safety level 1, that Brussels Airport isn't doing everything that can be done to operate the airport as normal as possible. It's not the airport that decides what is possible now: it's the federal Police. And within the federal Police, it's not the police chief who decides, but the unions. That is Belgium 2016.
Correct, I agree

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote: You can walk 20-25 minutes from/to Zaventem train station. I did that twice per day when working at Sabena. Excellent for your health.

Looks like your humour is lost on quite a few members, André!

b-west

Post by b-west »

sn26567 wrote:
b720 wrote:Are u serious? Mentality like this keeps is what keeps this country from flying!
What really kept this country from flying was the attitude of the Airport Police. Without their blocking, much more would already have been achieved, and in particular access by car and by public transportation.
That caused an extra 2 or 3 days delay. Which could've been easily avoided if the airport didn't want to reopen like nothing had happened...

b720

Post by b720 »

I understand that things have to change; however I do not get what has to be decided now that could not have been decided 10, 8 or 5 days ago, i.e. securing public transport! Are they going to send police to check every passenger when they step on the bus at each station? Or are buses to stop a km away, all pax step out in the rain and get checked then walk to the terminal? Are we to step out at Zaventem train station and walk? Pay 100 EUR + to take a cab if we do not live in BRU? Our friends and family take half a day off to drive us to BRU?
I think that the police and intelligence have failed miserably in preventing this hideous crime, and now they make us all pay the price of their incompetence. Those terrorists should have been caught before they even thought of blowing themselves up, and one of them is on the run!! BRU shut down for almost 2 weeks, BXL in lock down last November for NOTHING. The Belgian economy, and our reputation pay the price. I do not see anyone taking responsibility of the failures that led to the situation we are in. From supporting terror against a legitimate government in Syria, to allowing hundreds of Belgians to cross into Syria through the borders of a NATO "ally ", to allowing those individuals turned terrorists return home after having chopped of heads and limbs in Syria - crimes documented on youtube - to allowing those individuals roam our streets freely.. What a joke! I honestly wonder what is more damaging, those actual horrible attacks, or what led to them and the aftermath.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

What parking is open?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

SN539

Post by SN539 »

b720 wrote:I understand that things have to change; however I do not get what has to be decided now that could not have been decided 10, 8 or 5 days ago, i.e. securing public transport! Are they going to send police to check every passenger when they step on the bus at each station? Or are buses to stop a km away, all pax step out in the rain and get checked then walk to the terminal? Are we to step out at Zaventem train station and walk? Pay 100 EUR + to take a cab if we do not live in BRU? Our friends and family take half a day off to drive us to BRU?
I think that the police and intelligence have failed miserably in preventing this hideous crime, and now they make us all pay the price of their incompetence. Those terrorists should have been caught before they even thought of blowing themselves up, and one of them is on the run!! BRU shut down for almost 2 weeks, BXL in lock down last November for NOTHING. The Belgian economy, and our reputation pay the price. I do not see anyone taking responsibility of the failures that led to the situation we are in. From supporting terror against a legitimate government in Syria, to allowing hundreds of Belgians to cross into Syria through the borders of a NATO "ally ", to allowing those individuals turned terrorists return home after having chopped of heads and limbs in Syria - crimes documented on youtube - to allowing those individuals roam our streets freely.. What a joke! I honestly wonder what is more damaging, those actual horrible attacks, or what led to them and the aftermath.
You perfectly resume my feeling. Making a bunker is not a solution and won't make us safer. The problem must be taken at the source. But, let's stop here because this is an aviation forum and this is not directly linked to aviation ;)

eagleheart

Post by eagleheart »

lumumba wrote:What parking is open?
2 and the discount parkings.

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

b-west wrote: But I agree public transport links should be re-established as fast as possible.
I'm sure that this is exactly what BAC is doing: re-opening as fast as possible...

Best regards,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

b720

Post by b720 »

yes SN, you're right. This is an aviation forum, and I got carried away. Sorry for that.
Latest I heard parkings 1 and 3 open? or open to pick up cars? I didn't get it. anyone with more info?