Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

jake99

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by jake99 »

Anyone who knows if the blue gate at the technical complex is re-opend ?

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

b-west wrote:You must be in an excellent physical condition if you arrive 25 min before departure and never missed your flight. Especially as you're supposed to be at the gate 15 min before departure. That leaves you with 10 min to clear security and, if you're flying extra schengen, immigration, and make a dash for your gate. Not a mean feat if your plane leaves from A60... Or from a bus gate...
No, it actually worked very well without running or special physical training 8-)
From the kiss and ride to security you walked not more than 3 or 4 minutes, security via fast lane is usually something like 5 or maybe 8 minutes, than another 5 minutes to walk to the gate
Of course I know my way after several hundred flights from BRU and I have to admit my flights are often Schengen and never bus gates
And yes, you are supposed to be at the gate 15 min before departure, but very often flights do not even start boarding more than 10 or 15 min before departure ...
I even, however find often time to buy a smoothie on my way to the gate and I am usually at the gate in time for the priority pre-boarding
All this worked even before the connector was opened and you still had to go down and up again via the lift
I do hope it will be back to this from summer at least when the terminal does hopefully re-open - otherwise BRU will loose many business customers I fear ...
And even if other airports WOULD follow the new BRU procedure as has been proposed here in some posts, this would not help - if taking a flight takes 30 or 45 min more than in the past simply taking the train will become the first choice for many to a number of destinations or meetings will be re-planned and scheduled differently in the future, time unfortunately IS money ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Just read KLM will start flying AMS-BRU again next week.
Less than 2 hours by train, is this the kind of flights we need at an airport with reduced capacity?

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Poiu wrote:Just read KLM will start flying AMS-BRU again next week.
Less than 2 hours by train, is this the kind of flights we need at an airport with reduced capacity?
These are the feeder flights for KL. I don't think that pax want to go to AMS and vice versa...

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

It is just one of the 5 daily they normally operate.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

It will give the Dutch market for Brussels Airport a good sign: "when KLM flies to Brussels, it's safe there".

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

DeltaWiskey wrote:It is just one of the 5 daily they normally operate.
Right: KL1721/KL1722
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Didymus wrote:I hope they re-establish the public transport links soon. I'm supposed to return to BRU on Tuesday, but as it looks now, we will be forced to walk to the Zaventem (the municipality, not the airport) train station to get out.
That's a 25 minutes walk. When I worked for Sabena I did that twice every day: there was no Diabolo for trains coming from Liege & Leuven. That kept me in good health :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Mark De Scheemaecker, president of the board (Brussels Airport) told the press that it's just a matter of days before public transport by bus will be restored. Transport by train is a bigger problem because of the damage to the passage railway station <-> terminal buiding.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

OO-ITR wrote:
Poiu wrote:Just read KLM will start flying AMS-BRU again next week.
These are the feeder flights for KL. I don't think that pax want to go to AMS and vice versa...
That is exactly my point! People on this KLM flight don't need BRU, they will be faster in AMS by train than going to security in BRU. BRU is limited in capacity so use it for people flying point to point and transits.
In general feeder flights should pay an extra greenhouse tax as the they cause extra pollution.

SN539

Post by SN539 »

Take it with humor :lol: (from "Kroll" cartoonist for french speaking newspaper "Le Soir"). But, even on an humoristic way, I think it illustrates well the actual situation ...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

PttU wrote:
luchtzak wrote:
PttU wrote:Is the Airport Express bus service between Antwerp and BRU running? It's not really public transport, but it's not taxi either...
https://www.brusselsairlines.com/nl-be/ ... twerp.aspx
No, I meant http://www.airportexpress.be/page?page=AntwerpenBrussel
Bus operator De Decker Van Riet: "...Gezien de recente gebeurtenissen op de luchthaven van Zaventem, rijdt onze Airport Express tot nader order niet..."

Translated: Untill further notice, our Airport Express to/from Brussels Airport is not operating.

http://www.airportexpress.be/page?&orl= ... uws&nws=19

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

I am quite surprised not to read anything about Delta's decision to cancel the ATL route for at least one year.

This was quite an historical route for BRU, remember the Tristar years... Huge loss for BRU.

I don't think all the airlines will ever come back to BRU. Especially TG and NH.

This has been a major setback for BRU, 15 years after SABENA's demise. Not to mention what the final cost will be for Brussels Airlines and how it may have (negatively) affected Lufthansa's future commitment to take SN over.

Belgian aviation is doomed... :-(

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

But, even on an humoristic way, I think it illustrates well the actual situation ...
Indeed, a very nice Kroll again :lol:
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

b720

Post by b720 »

effect is more acute than 9/11 and the demise of Sabena. I think that the effects of the terrorist attacks, and the aftermath will be felt well into 2017. PAX figures will plummet in 2016, the question is by how much? I really hope SN will get out of this year with losses that it can take, as opposed to a nice profit that was expected. One thing for sure, SN will come out of this crisis with a SOLID reputation as a fantastic Belgian airline, that made us all proud. A stark comparison with the government and other official instances.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Darjeeling wrote:I am quite surprised not to read anything about Delta's decision to cancel the ATL route for at least one year.

This was quite an historical route for BRU, remember the Tristar years... Huge loss for BRU.

I don't think all the airlines will ever come back to BRU. Especially TG and NH.

This has been a major setback for BRU, 15 years after SABENA's demise. Not to mention what the final cost will be for Brussels Airlines and how it may have (negatively) affected Lufthansa's future commitment to take SN over.

Belgian aviation is doomed... :-(
Belgian aviation is doomed? Ok, Brussels Airport will have a difficult time ahead. No doubt about that... But to say Belgian aviation is doomed... No!

Thai will restart BRU operation from 14 April, if we can follow there posts on Facebook.

I thougt Delta was allready considering to axe or downgrade BRU out of ATL before the attacks.. I think the more important presence of United was 1 of the reasons..

I am worried about 1 carrier... NH! Look at the Paris attacks... JAL even cancelled Paris for 2 months.

I think we will se some downgrades in frequency and aircraft... But BRU will survive.. Ok it will take some time!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

b720 wrote:...
One thing for sure, SN will come out of this crisis with a SOLID reputation as a fantastic Belgian airline, that made us all proud. A stark comparison with the government and other official instances.
"The government"... Which government? This government-Michel, the previous government Di Rupo or the government of the Brussels Capital Region?

All official instances handled it very well, I think. Except for the MIVB/STIB perhaps, who didn't find it necessary to close their underground network immediately after the bomb blasts at Brussels Airport were known.

The only organization making me not proud at all, is one private organization: the police union. They abused the bomb attacks to take passengers as hostage, with only aim to show their force. Without those union, the airport would have opened at least four days earlier and would be as safe as it is today.

convair

Post by convair »

Passenger wrote:
One thing for sure, SN will come out of this crisis with a SOLID reputation as a fantastic Belgian airline, that made us all proud. A stark comparison with the government and other official instances.
"The government"... Which government? This government-Michel, the previous government Di Rupo or the government of the Brussels Capital Region?

All official instances handled it very well, I think. Except for the MIVB/STIB perhaps, who didn't find it necessary to close their underground network immediately after the bomb blasts at Brussels Airport were known.

The only organization making me not proud at all, is one private organization: the police union. They abused the bomb attacks to take passengers as hostage, with only aim to show their force. Without those union, the airport would have opened at least four days earlier and would be as safe as it is today.
Agreed. And also the public transports: together with the police union(s), they have made BRU accessible only to young, non-handicaped, athletes.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

convair wrote:
Passenger wrote:

Agreed. And also the public transports: together with the police union(s), they have made BRU accessible only to young, non-handicaped, athletes.
Exactly but they will have to change that because BRU will die....
I realy don't understand what they are doing I mean it's not like Tel Aviv where you have no choice if you wanna leave the country you have to go true TLV.
Here it's another story a lot of airports surrounding Brussels a lot of competition.
And those airports are very accessible from here.
Also zero risk does not exist maybe they will target Brussels Central station because it's a weaker point.
What are they gone do check 60.000.000 passagers that are traveling every year true the station!!!!!
And after that they will find another weaker point .

There is one place where the zero risk must be(and I think it's easyer than a public space)and that is the nuclear plants.
Last edited by lumumba on 04 Apr 2016, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

b720

Post by b720 »

Flying on SN on wed. (assuming BRU) - old booking - car is not an option, as shall fly back to ANR next week. The only was is a taxi from Antwerp. I find this outrageous. I shall cancel my flight, and take the train to AMS.
How can they operate an airport not allowing public transport? Bad enough the airport was shut for 2 weeks.