Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

convair

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by convair »

Passenger wrote: For every airport that has a pre safety check, I can give them 10 airports that don't have it.
None in the US/Canada have it afaik.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:There is a Facebook page set up by people who want an entrance check at the airport.

https://www.facebook.com/BRUentrychecks/

Don't dare to post a message that goes against their opinion: it will be immediately deleted and you will be blocked from posting messages in the future! Freedom of expression?
a group full of trolls will not accept a discussion andré. Thats the way unions work. I wouldnt worry about it too much ;)

b-west

Post by b-west »

I happen to know the administrator of that page very well. He's definitely not union related nor does he work at the airport. He just has quite some friends and family working there and has serious cares and fears about their well-being. Even though I wouldn't ban anybody, I guess he got a bit annoyed by Andre reiterating the same message over and over again. Guess not everybody has the same patience with trolls as this site does.

The economic damage is a factor, but so is the safety and wellbeing of everybody at the airport. I haven't met an airport worker thus far who doesn't at least in part support the police demands.

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

Looks like they tried to pre-terminal screen all the pax during the test, and it allowed only 200 pax/hour to enter the check-in area. This is why BAC etc doesn't want it.

Source: http://www.lesoir.be/1168808/article/ac ... e-continue

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

With all respect for the important, difficult and sometime dangerous work the security guys do - can you find any large EU or US airport doing entzy checks? Might there be a reason for this? Shifting security controls to entry check points outside the airport will in my view in no way reduce the risk for any attacks, it just shifts the place of potential attacks. With this logic we must install entry checks at all public buildings, cinemas, theatres, railway stations, entry roads to residential areas or the EU quarter and so on (and not only in Brussels!) - like it is in some developing or third world high-risk countries. If we really have to do this in order to live a somehow acceptable life we admit all our policies in the area of crime prevention have failed ... and we give up our European / western way of living ...
In short: I am one of the 20 million pax at BRU (more than 700 flights to/from BRU in the past 15 years) and I do NOT demand entry checks ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

euroflyer wrote: In short: I am one of the 20 million pax at BRU (more than 700 flights to/from BRU in the past 15 years) and I do NOT demand entry checks ...
I'm also one of the 20 million pax at BRU and also I do NOT demand entry checks. Let's start a facebookpage :lol:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Still no decision from the National Security Council about the reopening of Brussels Airport. A meeting between the police unions and Interior Minister Jan Jambon starts at 17:00.
André
ex Sabena #26567

b-west

Post by b-west »

webstermc wrote:
euroflyer wrote: In short: I am one of the 20 million pax at BRU (more than 700 flights to/from BRU in the past 15 years) and I do NOT demand entry checks ...
I'm also one of the 20 million pax at BRU and also I do NOT demand entry checks. Let's start a facebookpage :lol:
Please do. Everybody can start a facebookpage to further their cause.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I agree with the posters above who are speaking out against these police demands.

I've never seen pre-entry checks either, other than at some Turkish tourist airports and there they happen inside the airport entrance hall, i.e right at the place where those terrorist blew themselves up last week! Imagine those guys surrounded by hundreds of people nicely lined up for their bags to be screened first?
Not a very good idea, is it?

I could be wrong of course, but who's supposed to do that pre-entry screening anyway?
A private company, just like the ones now doing the screening prior to us all going into the A resp. B pier?
I am having a strong feeling the police -which will have to be on constant patrol inside the departure halls for sure as from now on- are extremely eager to shift the potential risk of repeat attacks away from them and into the shoes of privately employed security staff which they want to see working outside the building, far from where they will be standing. It would be a bit all too nicely falling into it's perfect place for them, not to be the case. ;)

I can even understand them, but isn't it the task of police to protect, rather than to be protected?
If they can't understand that, they'll have to be requisited and be made to understand the full job description they've all signed up to when joining the police force: it's more than just administrative work.
The airport's temporary infrastructure is finally ready and the country urgently needs its sole intercontinental port of entry back for the sake of our economy to be able to go back to business, even if it will not be business as usual.

FWIW- almost 1,000 people are currently already on temporary unemployment: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/regio ... =1.2617052

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

b-west wrote:I happen to know the administrator of that page very well. He's definitely not union related nor does he work at the airport. He just has quite some friends and family working there and has serious cares and fears about their well-being. Even though I wouldn't ban anybody, I guess he got a bit annoyed by Andre reiterating the same message over and over again. Guess not everybody has the same patience with trolls as this site does.

The economic damage is a factor, but so is the safety and wellbeing of everybody at the airport. I haven't met an airport worker thus far who doesn't at least in part support the police demands.

well then you have met the first one now. The Unions are putting a knife on the throat of management on the back of innocent death. This theatre is DISGUSTING and I'm ashamed to be Belgian. There is NO way i can explain this in any way to my non-belgian colleagues.

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

I'm not asking for entry checks either. If it needs to be done at the airport, then the list of 'to be protected areas' will become very long... trainstations, concerts, fancy fairs, football games, cinema's, .....

Shifting the problem is not the solution. And what about our freedom? I don't want to live in a country where I have to be screened and checked every event I'm going to.

Every airport I visited was similar to Brussels Airport (I know, I'm flying 1 time a year, for the holidays, so not a huge amount of airports visited), and the airport I experienced the most strict security check was... yes, BRU. PMI, BCN, KGS, MAH, FUE, MLE.... not as strict as BRU. BCN was the last one I visited, I saw a lot of people allowed to take liquids in their hand luggage.

Tompompier

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

b-west wrote:I happen to know the administrator of that page very well. He's definitely not union related nor does he work at the airport. He just has quite some friends and family working there and has serious cares and fears about their well-being.
He doesn't have to care about their well being if he gets his way, because his friends and family won't have a job for long with people like him.
Even though I wouldn't ban anybody, I guess he got a bit annoyed by Andre reiterating the same message over and over again. Guess not everybody has the same patience with trolls as this site does.
Have you even seen that Facebook page? Only consists of the same repeated message over and over.
That's BS, just look at the opinions here. How come of whole the Western world only BRU needs these checks for personnel to be safe? If you're paranoid you'd better start working somewhere else, but don't do damage to the jobs of ppl that DO want to do the job they're payed for.

shockcooling

Post by shockcooling »

B-west. I'm really surprised people are so pro for a secured and safe airport, whereas no one seems to have the same feeling about the place even more people died actually...no Facebook page, no marching policemen around Maelbeek, no security perimeter around it either.
Why is it that way and not the way around? No strong subway police unions? Maybe they're happy ABSOLUTELY nothing will change in the near future and terrorists can continue with plotting their next attack, they just pick some other station.
I therefore don't agree with your opinion...

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

It was posted 30 minutes ago:

Between Thursday March 24th 2016 until Monday April 4th included, Brussels Airlines offers flights between Belgium and Europe through the airports of Liège and Antwerp.

Between Thursday March 24th 2016 until Monday 4 April 2016 included, Brussels Airlines offers flights between Europe and Africa and between Europe and North-America through the airports of Frankfurt and Zurich.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/ ... etail.aspx
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

DL is the 1st airline that postponed resumption of a route indefinitely afaik, ATL ain't coming back. :(

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Jetter wrote:DL is the 1st airline that postponed resumption of a route indefinitely afaik, ATL ain't coming back. :(
Where do you get this info from?

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Conti764 wrote:
Jetter wrote:DL is the 1st airline that postponed resumption of a route indefinitely afaik, ATL ain't coming back. :(
Where do you get this info from?
Flight is no longer bookable at delta.com while their NYC-connection is still available.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Laurent Levaux, ceo Aviapartner, very strongly disagrees with that famous open letter from the police unions (repeat: the unions). The police unions said that the biggest safety/security problem at Brussels airport is the tarmac, and the unions called "code red for those IS assistants and spies".

Laurent Levaux (Aviapartner) is furious about those union statements. In an interview with Flemish business newspaper De Tijd, he agrees that two thirds of the baggage handlers have a non-Belgian origin. But Levaux said "they are decent, hard working people. "Those people made it possible to join OST and LGG for the Easter departures", Aviapartner's ceo said.

Original article (subscribers only):
http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 8-3085.art

Report in Gazet van Antwerpen:
http://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20160401_02214 ... evakbonden

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Strange... DL giving up on their ATL stronghold, but retaining highly competitive JFK?