Repositioning of BRU operations to other airports after attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Terrorist attack, explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by sn26567 »

Finnair will fly an A350 to AMS tomorrow, in relation with the closure of BRU: AY841/842.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

SN should be operating some flights from LGG tomorrow.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Nevihta wrote:SN should be operating some flights from LGG tomorrow.
Happy to hear this. I hope they get back on their feet soon

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Quite a few aircraft departed and arrived as ferry flights already, since yesterday evening.
Thomas

convair

Post by convair »

Several SN planes now converging back to BRU, from Basel, Paris and Vienna.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Some news mention the landing airport of those 5 african flights is still unknown, because of landing rights abroad.
I wonder why they don't simply use a regional airport...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

11 planes apparently.

http://www.lameuse.be/1521370/article/2 ... -des-jeudi
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Acid-drop wrote:Some news mention the landing airport of those 5 african flights is still unknown, because of landing rights abroad.
I wonder why they don't simply use a regional airport...
I assume they prefer a (partner) hub to accommodate for all the transfer pax, which can account for more than 3/4rd of the pax on AFI flights. But that's not so easy with traffic rights indeed.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I assume they prefer a (partner) hub to accommodate for all the transfer pax, which can account for more than 3/4rd of the pax on AFI flights. But that's not so easy with traffic rights indeed.
Can't they land in BRU with all the pax, "deplane" them in a hangar, do immigration there and "replane" them to FRA? Same for the way back.
I'm sure that many pax will prefer this over missing meetings and they will understand considering the circumstances. On top of this, cargo handling can continue as usual.

I'm not so happy to see that airlines are not ready for this kind of issues, while a BRU closure is almost a yearly occurrence. Sometimes it's strikes, sometimes it's shootings at the airport.
How difficult can it be to transfer everything to LGG and run all operations with 2 hour delays and to run dozens of busses between LGG and a designated assembly point not far from BRU?
Last edited by Flanker2 on 23 Mar 2016, 20:45, edited 3 times in total.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Hmm, seems my posts here have been used in an article? :? For the record: I didn't gave any information on how they are going to "rebuild" the terminal. I just gave an idea what might happen in the next couple of hours/days/weeks/months. AFAIK there is still no concrete information about the structural integrity nor concrete information about the damage inside.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

Acid-drop wrote:
11 planes apparently.

http://www.lameuse.be/1521370/article/2 ... -des-jeudi
Heard about 45-50 flights... Not confirmed...

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Its filling up little by little
http://liegeairport.be/en/flying-infos

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Here they mention 10 airbus in LGG and 5 avro in ANR
http://m.lalibre.be/economie/actualite/ ... 22d5a98d4c

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

LGG thursday: 44 A320/A319 flight; on friday 66 flights (10 based aircraft)
ANR thursday: 20 ARJ-100 flights; on friday 30 flights (5 based aircraft)

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Operations will be restarted tomorrow and will basically be cut in 2:

- long haul will be operating from/to a single one of the Lufthansa group hubs indeed;
Planes are currently on the ground in AFI to pick up pax, so by the time they arrive back in Europe it'll be decided where they will all go to and from where they can (de)feed most easily.
Lufthansa group is willing to give up space for us also in the coming days to make our delocalized long haul operations work as smoothly as possible from whichever one of their hubs we pick.

- medium haul will operate point-to-point only from LGG (10 A320) and most likely also ANR (5 RJ), because that's the max capacity both airports can handle.

-) European connections are all rerouted through other LH hubs since yesterday of course.

All in all, less than perfect of course, but given the incredible situation in BRU, not so bad either: over 100 flights will thus be operating once this contingency plan is up and running.
The practical organization is currently under way to make it all possible by tomorrow, so official communication is to follow.

Life is thus returning quite quickly: may those losers who blew themselves up yesterday and took so many poor people with them, rot in hell and be screwed really hard in their back by 72 fat, ugly, old and very gay virgins every single night, till eternity... :twisted:

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Good to know Tolipanebas. Will those AFI flights leave back to AFI from FRA?
Would you care to share how you spent the last 36 hours at work?

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

tolipanebas wrote:

Life is thus returning quite quickly: may those losers who blew themselves up yesterday and took so many poor people with them, rot in hell and be screwed really hard in their back by 72 fat, ugly, old and very gay virgins every single night, till eternity... :twisted:
Well said :thumbup:

convair

Post by convair »

Flanker2 wrote:
Can't they land in BRU with all the pax, "deplane" them in a hangar, do immigration there and "replane" them to FRA? Same for the way back.
BRU is closed till Friday.
SN does not have many options: CRL is full, with additional Jetair and Ryanair flights. Antwerp is too small for jets (except maybe the Avros) LGG and OST seem to be the best alternative solutions, with the help of buses, but can the handle SN's connecting pax?

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

The terminal is closed, but SN's own hangar can take 2 A330's at the same time.
As long as pax stay airside, I don't see the problem given that cargo flights are operating.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Thanks for all informations

All in all, less than perfect of course, but given the incredible situation in BRU, not so bad either: over 100 flights will thus be operating once this contingency plan is up and running.
The practical organization is currently under way to make it all possible by tomorrow, so official communication is to follow.

Good news, in deed, but you have to see consequences in long term. In France, since 13 November 2015 attacks, we have a drop in term of bookings especially from USA and Asia, mainly in Paris. Less tourist visited France since November 2015 , some airlines such as Japan Airlines have suspended or reduced some flights, due low load factor.

Paris attacks cost €70m for Air France.
Last edited by rwandan-flyer on 23 Mar 2016, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873