Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

convair

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by convair »

Acid-drop wrote: Finally some thinking here and not emotional nonsense.
"Intelligence" is the only answer.
Military were present everywhere, they couldn't help in any way, nor disuation, nor prevention, not even in the fake feeling of security. Dozen of press articles are asking this week if it still makes sense to have them on the street. Asking it is like giving the answer.
They have an opinion, you have mine, i respect yours (although i'd prefer more rational and cartesian thinking than emotions, but everybody is free)
Subject closed, its an aviation forum.
Apparently, your opinion belongs to "an aviation forum" but mine does not! No comment!

Freken

Post by Freken »

Acid-drop wrote:Finally some thinking here and not emotional nonsense.
"Intelligence" is the only answer.
Military were present everywhere, they couldn't help in any way, nor disuation, nor prevention, not even in the fake feeling of security. Dozen of press articles are asking this week if it still makes sense to have them on the street. Asking it is like giving the answer.
They have an opinion, you have mine, i respect yours (although i'd prefer more rational and cartesian thinking than emotions, but everybody is free)
Subject closed, its an aviation forum.
If they would have followed their original plan, using assault rifles to increase the death toll even more, you would have been more than happy that there were soldiers and a QRF at the airport and on the streets.

Further more, this discussion should've never been started in an aviation forum, and certainly not by a moderator.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

With if we can redo the world. I stick to facts.
Stop the moderator fantasy, i'm like anyone else with freedom of speach in a free country. Deal with it.
Opinions can differ, will differ. Open minds will accept it, the others will fight.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Acid-drop wrote:With if we can redo the world. I stick to facts.
Stop the moderator fantasy, i'm like anyone else with freedom of speach in a free country. Deal with it.
Opinions can differ, will differ. Open minds will accept it, the others will fight.
Three hours ago you closed the debate with your "Subject closed, its an aviation forum". And now you are reopening it. Strange. Moderator fantasy, I guess.

Anyway, opinions can differ indeed. So what is open minded to some, is narrowminded to others. And those who say that others are narrowminded, are themselves... (indeed). Me thinks a discussion about military in an airport is quite aviational, but that it's in the interest of aviation safety/security not to discuss it.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Guys, stop fighting, let's keep it peaceful ;)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Passenger wrote:Flemish newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws now reports a Facebook post from Jan Van der Cruysse about the attack at Brussels Airport. I know the moderators prefer a translation in brief into English, but that's impossible with Jan's letter. So please use an online translate service.

Jan Den der Cruysse about 22th March 2016:
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/36484/Aanslage ... agen.dhtml

Edited by moderator: see English translation here: https://www.aviation24.be/brussels-airport ... y-attacks/
Jan Van der Cruysse's statement about 22/03 is the most viewed article on HLN.be today!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

In an interview to La Libre Belgique this Saturday (not available free, thus no link), Bernard Gustin says that operating from Liège and Antwerp costs more than shutting down the airline completely. But, like with Ebola, he feels the airline has a duty towards its passengers. The cost is now already estimated to be in the tens of millions of euros.

Furthermore, he said that, if Brussels airport should remain closed for two seeks, it would be catastrophic.

Thank you Mr Gustin for your esteem for your customers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I'love to know how much flexibility costs. Yes its a lot of work and creative thinking, but those alternative airports are also helping a lot (its also an opportunity for them) and are known to have lower costs.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

PttU

Post by PttU »

If they shut down the airline completely there would have been some people they didn't need to pay, maybe he took that into the equation?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote:In an interview to La Libre Belgique this Saturday (not available free, thus no link), Bernard Gustin says that operating from Liège and Antwerp costs more than shutting down the airline completely. But, like with Ebola, he feels the airline has a duty towards its passengers. The cost is now already estimated to be in the tens of millions of euros.
The difference is .. Ebola made them millions of euros as the sole operator in the region. Now they are bleeding money by the millions every single day. Not good :(

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The Police asks if someone recognizes the third bomber on these pictures (moving pictures):

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/video ... /1.2613912

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn26567 wrote:The cost is now already estimated to be in the tens of millions of euros.
As I understood SN's numbers, they didn't have tens of millions of euro's on hand. Does anyone know if some kind of emergency liquidity has been arranged with the state/banks/Lufthansa? It seems likely that SN's financial situation will be critical if the closure of BRU lasts for a few more days, if it isn't already.

I imagine that given the circumstances the EU will be forgiving when it comes to state aid. I'm not so sure if it makes sense for Lufthansa to invest a whole lot more, at one point it'll become cheaper to set up a BrusselsWings from scratch.

convair

Post by convair »

Jetter wrote:
sn26567 wrote:The cost is now already estimated to be in the tens of millions of euros.
As I understood SN's numbers, they didn't have tens of millions of euro's on hand. Does anyone know if some kind of emergency liquidity has been arranged with the state/banks/Lufthansa? It seems likely that SN's financial situation will be critical if the closure of BRU lasts for a few more days, if it isn't already.

I imagine that given the circumstances the EU will be forgiving when it comes to state aid. I'm not so sure if it makes sense for Lufthansa to invest a whole lot more, at one point it'll become cheaper to set up a BrusselsWings from scratch.
You seem to be in quite a hurry to bury SN! You're even beating their competitors here. Congratulations!

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

convair wrote:You seem to be in quite a hurry to bury SN! You're even beating their competitors here. Congratulations!
Not at all. But it seems only logical to ask these questions when a company indicates it is loosing tens of millions when it doesn't have tens of millions in the bank don't you think?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Jetter wrote:

Based upon the annual accounts from the last years, there is absolutely no emergency liquidity problem. Altough these annual accounts only state the momentum on one particular day (which is 31st December for the annual accounts 01/01-31/12), Brussels Airlines has a very solid liquidity (+100 mio €).

convair

Post by convair »

Jetter wrote:
convair wrote:You seem to be in quite a hurry to bury SN! You're even beating their competitors here. Congratulations!
Not at all. But it seems only logical to ask these questions when a company indicates it is loosing tens of millions when it doesn't have tens of millions in the bank don't you think?
If I remember well, someone mentioned not too long ago in an other thread that they didn't have a cash problem; they had even reimbursed part (was it 20 million?) of their debt. Of course, it can change rapidly in the current circumstances.

Don't mind my earlier post too much; I couldn't resist the opportunity for some humour. ;)

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Passenger wrote:Based upon the annual accounts from the last years, there is absolutely no emergency liquidity problem. Altough these annual accounts only state the momentum on one particular day (which is 31st December for the annual accounts 01/01-31/12), Brussels Airlines has a very solid liquidity (+100 mio €).
If one week of closure costs SN tens of millions (as sn26567 mentioned), 100mio isn't as much as it seems. But good to know another week of closure won't cause liquidity problems.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Jetter wrote:If one week of closure costs SN tens of millions (as sn26567 mentioned), 100mio isn't as much as it seems. But good to know another week of closure won't cause liquidity problems.
These "tens of millions" include all direct and indirect expenses and losses to be paid during the next days, weeks and months. Example: I haven't heard any rumour that the SN petrol cards are refused...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Four people wounded in Brussels attacks have died in hospital, bringing total number of victims to 35 (that number includes the three terrorists that blew up themselves and which are not really victims...).
André
ex Sabena #26567

teach

Post by teach »

sn26567 wrote:Four people wounded in Brussels attacks have died in hospital, bringing total number of victims to 35 (that number includes the three terrorists that blew up themselves and which are not really victims...).
No, that's the number of victims. Including the terrorists, the number is 38.