Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Terrorist attack, explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airport officially announced there will be no flights tomorrow.

Luxembourg Airport is helping Brussels Airport and TAP Portugal with an extra Airbus A321 flight to Lisbon for stranded passengers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Freken

Post by Freken »

Also worth mentioning, Belgocontrol has made their first appearance on Twitter! Follow them on @Belgocontrol_NL and @Belgocontrol_FR.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

For Brussels Airlines, can't we assure a minimum service from other airport for with only the long haul service, paris and tel aviv from Liege airport?

convair

Post by convair »

My first post since the tragedy, so my first thoughts go to the victims, their families and friends.
koja78 wrote: Jetair and Thomas cook have it far easier.. only point to point traffic and they already have regional bases.
Ryanair can easily move to CRL.

BruAir is the one really in trouble
Couldn't SN operate some l/h flights from another base, say Frankfurt, and use buses from/to BRU for their non-connecting pax?

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

convair wrote: Couldn't SN operate some l/h flights from another base, say Frankfurt, and use buses from/to BRU for their non-connecting pax?
I imagine traffic rights would make that difficult, at least for the African operations.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

OO-JNL was ferried from LGG to BRU, strange.
Do they plan to operate from BRU soon ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

eagleheart

Post by eagleheart »

Acid-drop wrote:OO-JNL was ferried from LGG to BRU, strange.
Do they plan to operate from BRU soon ?
Maybe to put the necessary catering on it.. Dunno

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Treeper wrote:
Conti764 wrote:I can't imagine the terminal being used on a relative short term. I have seen the damage this night and it's truly overwhelming...
hope you're okay after those horrific views!
Thanks but I'm okay... I heard of colleagues who carried out dead and wounded people, they are in lesser shape I suppose :(
maybe there is a possibility to reopen partially and use the charter check-ins at the other end of the entrance hall? or is even that too damaged?
Impossible. Both terminals are out... The first bomb exploded in front of row 11 (?), the first one of the 'old' terminal, the second one between rows 4 and 5 in the '94 terminal...

Most damage is at these both locations, but the entire terminal is struck. In the '94 terminal about every window of the facade is damaged and most just blown out and throughout the entire building ceilings are coming down. The arrivals level is less damaged, but there are some big water leaks...

But then again, apart from the secenes of the direct impact, all systems seemed to work properly. The lights were on, displays were showing airline logo's and the big flight info screen stil worked (accept for some digital screens which display the airlines logo's which were blown out but still functioned...)

If the structural integrity of the building is unharmed and it's cleared by the authorities, I guess it might take them up to a couple of months to renovate it entirely and in the meantime they might partially open up the check-in areas which are done. BAC is not short from cash so they won't have to wait for the insurance to come up with the money.

So, what I heard yesterday... A- and B-pier unharmed, Connector slightly impacted, and the terminal building heavily damaged.

ggmeese

Post by ggmeese »

CS-TFX A340-542 just left BRU 25R as BEL9911

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Flanker2 wrote:The economic damage to BRU is about a million per day of closure by my estimate.
At this price, you can hire quite a lot of temporary staff and contractors to take care of things very quickly.
Broken glass can be repaired within hours, same for cleaning up and laying a temporary carpet.
IMO most of the damage is superficial, so it will probably be taken care of in a matter of a couple of days and then repaired professionally later on.
It depends on
(a) when the authorities will clear the building.
(b) if no structural damage is done.

If both are okay, I guess it might be quite quickly renovated. If the structural integrity is compromised, heavier work has to be done. All in all they won't allow a single passenger in if the building isn't entirely cleared.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Airport will not open on Thursday - Arnaud Faust on Twitter.

Crosswind

Post by Crosswind »

And, for Brussels Airlines, how deep will be the long-term economical consequences ?

Let's hope it will not break too hard the positive growing dynamic...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Airport will not open on Thursday - Arnaud Faust on Twitter.
"...There will be no passenger flights into and out of #brusselsairport tomorrow Thursday 24 March. Contact your airline for flight information..."

https://twitter.com/brusselsairport?lang=nl

avroflyer_1

Post by avroflyer_1 »

Meanwhile OO-SFU and OO-SFM have left BRU bound for EBB/KGL and FNA/ROB

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Flanker2 wrote:The economic damage to BRU is about a million per day of closure by my estimate.
On the radio I happened to hear the amount of 10 million per day. The source of this may have been Patrick De Wilde. Not sure though.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

That's possible as a whole, though I was refering to the airport itself, keeping in mind lost revenue 30EUR per pax, plus landing and other airport fees, plus closure of duty free, etc...

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Live tv report on the attack on BRU.

Third bomb exploded due to instability of the chemical composition. No possibility to get it out of the terminal before a controlled explosion.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

so those long haul leave empty to bring back some pax ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

ggmeese

Post by ggmeese »

Yes, although these are for some reason not using BEL99xx flight numbers.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

If you heared the pressconference it could have been much worse, during the executing of a searchwarrant they found 15kg of TATP, a very unstable explosive, on top of that they found 150 liter of aceton and 30 liters of hydrogen peroxide... :shock: