Brussels Airlines introduces one-way fares at 39 euro

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

Brussels Airlines introduces one-way fares at 39 euro

Post by tolipanebas »

Since the introduction of four new travel formulas in the market, passenger numbers have grown by almost 30% to a record number of over 7.5 million in 2015. Now Brussels Airlines takes it one step further and gives all clients total freedom of choice by offering competitive one-way fares too!

Thanks to the introduction of these attractive one-way fares, Brussels Airlines fully meets customers’ high expectations in terms of ever more flexible travel plans. Passengers are now able for example to book a single flight to their destination and decide later about their return flight.

One-way flights within Europe are already available from 39 euro -all taxes and charges included- which is an extremely attractive fare, especially since travelers on Brussels Airlines do not need to compromise between high comfort and a low price.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/brussel ... en-choice/

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airlines introduces one-way fares at 39 euro

Post by sn26567 »

This will seriously decrease the price of a day return, the type of fare where legacy airlines were making a lot of money. The return fares of €69 were not available for day returns on SN!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As Andre wrote, they ll then then offer competitive day returns. Whatch my flight logs, a lot more SN will pop up

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I noticed the banners advertising this new initiative on several websites, yesterday.
It's something which will bring them many new passengers and help support their impressive volume growth in future too, which is their aim of course.

I am beginning to see just how they manage to constantly win back ever more market share at BRU: their base fares are now at a point where it is basically getting irrelevant to look elsewhere still.
By systematically checking and swapping between airlines you can probably still save a few more euro on an individual flight, but it also means people would have to scan for differences in travel rules and hand luggage sizes etc, not to mention a developed choice both in terms of frequency as well as destinations is also appreciated.

For most people the possibility to always deal with one and the same airline which they know well is a major plus, one they don't like to give up easily and any remaining price incentives offered by competitors to do so nevertheless are becoming increasingly small, making those airlines less of an alternative to ever more clients.

Does anybody know if you earn loops on these one way tickets too?

RTM

Post by RTM »

Inquirer wrote: Does anybody know if you earn loops on these one way tickets too?
Yes, Loops can be collected on these flights as well.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I think that it's a good move as return dates and itineraries are not always known.
This is a niche that LCC's were covering very well as their yield management is based on one-way trips.

It's not the first time that SN does this to fill low season demand though.
Refering to a post in 2010:
SN1203, SN is holding a very aggressive early booking sales campaign right now. 30 euro one way to all of Europe for January/February.
Remains to be seen if this will be temporary or permanent.

N77014

Post by N77014 »

And now it is waiting for the first ultra smart booking platform, which, when for example requesting a return flight from Brussels to Rome, will give you the best possible rate by mixing airlines, as for example outbound on SN, return on FR... I recently did send a message to the BRUXX website admin, (s)he replied their system is still not capable of doing so. And to my knowledge, none is... Or am I wrong ? Especially one being able to mix Legacy carriers and LCC's I mean...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

N77014 wrote:And now it is waiting for the first ultra smart booking platform, which, when for example requesting a return flight from Brussels to Rome, will give you the best possible rate by mixing airlines, as for example outbound on SN, return on FR... I recently did send a message to the BRUXX website admin, (s)he replied their system is still not capable of doing so. And to my knowledge, none is... Or am I wrong ? Especially one being able to mix Legacy carriers and LCC's I mean...
Try Skyscanner (google the name for its URL in your language ).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

RTM wrote:
Inquirer wrote: Does anybody know if you earn loops on these one way tickets too?
Irrelevant isn't it?
Basic fare will be 1 or 5€ plus taxes and fuel surcharge (pun intended), so you will earn 3 to 15 loops.
You will need 200 flights before having a free one and taxes on the free one could be higher than the full fare for the same flight as is often the case with M&M.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Poiu wrote:
RTM wrote:
Irrelevant isn't it?
I've been working in retail myself and I know for a fact how eager Belgians are for couponing, even more so if it's not just for them, but for some beloved family member of theirs.
I've noticed Brussels to have made exactly that possible with those Loops and for a good reason: people in Belgium really love it when they can save up for and share little benefits, much more than elsewhere in Europe: it's really something local, dating back to the days of Artis Historia still.
A discount of 0.5% would be snubbed if advertised straight out like that, but just check for yourself how most customers always pull their bonus point card out at check out at Delhaize for instance.... for an accumulated discount far less than that even!!!
Those types of bonus saving schemes really do work, believe me, so opening up even these extremely low cost tickets to such schemes is no coincidence IMHO: its the perfect entry method to becoming a loyal customer very quickly, even if there is a cheaper alternative on offer next time. That's how it works.

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

sn26567 wrote:
N77014 wrote:And now it is waiting for the first ultra smart booking platform, which, when for example requesting a return flight from Brussels to Rome, will give you the best possible rate by mixing airlines, as for example outbound on SN, return on FR... I recently did send a message to the BRUXX website admin, (s)he replied their system is still not capable of doing so. And to my knowledge, none is... Or am I wrong ? Especially one being able to mix Legacy carriers and LCC's I mean...
Try Skyscanner (google the name for its URL in your language ).
Or Kayak

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Poiu wrote:
RTM wrote:
Irrelevant isn't it?
Basic fare will be 1 or 5€ plus taxes and fuel surcharge (pun intended), so you will earn 3 to 15 loops.
You will need 200 flights before having a free one and taxes on the free one could be higher than the full fare for the same flight as is often the case with M&M.
So you need to spend 7800€ on flights before you have the chance to book a flight with loops and then you need to STILL pay the taxes? :D

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

If you buy a 39€ Ticket you will earn 30 loops at best. The value of 30 loops is 0,30€.
So you will need at least 130 flights to have a free 39€ ticket, if taxes are the same for free flights, which is not the case for M&M.
On M&M tickets taxes are around 100€ for a short haul flight. You can pay 13000points, which you would earn with about 100 flights in Light...
Inquirer, do yo really think people will choose SN for 0,3€ on a loyalty card? You need 5 returns to redeem loops, so the average traveler will receive 1.50€ every two to three years.
Irrelevant as said before.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

As said before, check your wallet for a Delhaize plus card, a petrol bonus card or a Panos free breadroll card for instance. That of your wife/mother for a VERITAS stocking card or a card of your local pharmacy.
Ever calculated the average staving made with it????
Sobering if you do, but highly successful in increasing customer loyalty nevertheless.
If you think these kind of loyalty schemes don't pay off, marketing clearly is lost on you personally, but be wary not just to transpose that attitude to the average consumer who clearly likes to save and even steps out of the way to do so: if people can save up to get a nice little discount of a few euro on their next family holiday (because it's my understanding one can use loops that way too, one doesnt need to have earned a full ticket to redeem them) many will be eager to save and share, you can be sure of that.

Now back to topic, please. Maybe through a simple and similar question, if I may?
At 39 euro, how big is the incentive still to save another 5 or 10 euro by flying a low cost competitor if such is perceived to be accompanied with further inconveniences?
By the same logic, I'd say it's largely irrelevant and many other things do come into play like schedule, product perception, comfort and indeed loyalty schemes, be it stamps to save up for champagne glasses, coupons for towels or indeed points for a free ticket once in a while.
Offering 39 euro tickets opens up the low end of the customer base even further to them AND they target that segment with a bonus program to reward further loyalty in future too and thus retain those customers a bit more firmly: I'd say they can only win by such a commercial strategy and I would recommend their competitors to set up a similar scheme in case they lack it.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:So you need to spend 7800€ on flights before you have the chance to book a flight with loops and then you need to STILL pay the taxes?
Another untrue statement (unless it's a question...) about Brussels Airlines from a Ryanair employee.

One can use the loops as soon as one has booked 5 return tickets. Not when one has spent 7.800 €.

Je kunt je LOOPs gebruiken na 5 retourvluchten of zodra je 5.000 LOOPs verzameld hebt - Start using your LOOPs each time you take 5 return flights, or save 5,000 new LOOPs - Vous pouvez utiliser vos LOOPs après avoir effectué 5 vols aller-retour, ou dès que vous avez économisé 5.000 LOOPs.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/nl-be/ ... uiken.aspx

Of course one doesn't have many loops if one want to use them after 5 returns tickets at 69 €, but it's possible to use them.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

It was a question: how much money do you need to spend in order to book a return flight for free? (Well the fare, you always need to pay the taxes and the "fuel surcharge", in a time when fuel is a rockbottom price)

Btw I dont have any loyalty cards, nowhere ;)

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

I was looking at a one way flight in June, cheapest fare 150€. The same flights are available on a return ticket for 69€ Return!
The 39€ seems only available if booked more than two months ahead.

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

Poiu wrote:I was looking at a one way flight in June, cheapest fare 150€. The same flights are available on a return ticket for 69€ Return!
That's what we call Revenue Management: selling the right fare at the right time by continuously fine tuning the availabilty :)

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

skumfiduse wrote:
Poiu wrote:I was looking at a one way flight in June, cheapest fare 150€. The same flights are available on a return ticket for 69€ Return!
That's what we call Revenue Management: selling the right fare at the right time by continuously fine tuning the availabilty :)
Not exactly, as I was looking via a Search engine for a one way, I booked with another airline before realising it would have been cheaper to fake a return.
Revenue management would be sell the one way at the price of the return without the return taxes.