VLM Airlines news 2016

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Bluestar

Re: VLM Airlines news 2016

Post by Bluestar »

I am interested to see how VLM will be "taken over" by a Chinese group while still maintaining 51% EU ownership in order to retain EU traffic rights...

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Well, in principle a EU-based airline requires to have at least 50% EU-based shareholding.
HNA has been buying about everything they could get their hands on so it could be them.
Other than that, the Chinese are buying about everything they can get their hands on. Chinese are also mentionned in the Air Belgium story, and for instance also in Cobalt, Cyprus.
The biggest in recent times is probably the TP deal with HNA.

I have yet to see any of these bought over companies turn a profit.
It's easy to make money in China, Qatar or Abu-Dabi. Not so much in the EU and even less so in the airline business.

I'll give my 2 cents whe the entire business plan is revealed.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bluestar wrote:I am interested to see how VLM will be "taken over" by a Chinese group while still maintaining 51% EU ownership in order to retain EU traffic rights...
Welcome to Luchtzak, Bluestar!
André
ex Sabena #26567

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

That guy spent some time in jail for extortion! Is that the kind of guy who will put VLM back on track? His previous airline experience was a failure, not once but twice: Air Exel and Holland Exel !
Well,I guess in the given circumstances this initiative is probably better than no initiative at all..
It's a pity though the capital and initiative once again has to come from outside Belgium...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

As I understand the story, "VLM Airlines Newco" is the name of the airline being set up by "SHS Antwerp Aviation N.V.", a subsidiary of Dutch company "SHS Aviation B.V." based in Hoofdorp and managed by infamous Harm Prins. But behind SHS Aviation, there is a group of unnamned Chinese investors.

"VLM Airlines Newco" (not sure that the VLM name will be retained in the future) still needs to get an AOC from the Belgian CAA, after which it will start flying with 5 Fokker 50 aircraft and 50 staff from Antwerp to several European capitals and regional business and leisure destinations.

Good luck! You will need it.

I wonder how The Aviation Factory is involved in this deal.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

5 x F50 and just 50 staff members.
It won't be an intense operation for sure, since a full time daily operation would require at least
(2 flight crew + 1 cabin) x 3 per aircraft, or 45 crew members alone.

If they have to start out from scratch, ie getting an AOC instead of reactivating the VG one, they'll need several millions just to get an AOC, get the fleet, the crew and the network operational again.

Ah the Dutch and the Chinese are forming a team on this one.
Based on what I read about past activities of the main characters, it smells like the curator is being taken for a ride. If aviation factory is involved in this, proceed with caution.

carllegein

Post by carllegein »

thanks for the advice ! carl

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

http://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20160920_02477 ... licitaties

In a nutshell, shs antwerpaviation already got application letters and end of this month they will probably get the green light to start. In the mean time they are negotiating to get the AOC.

Grts

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

saratoga wrote:http://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20160920_02477 ... licitaties

In a nutshell, shs antwerpaviation already got application letters and end of this month they will probably get the green light to start. In the mean time they are negotiating to get the AOC.
GVA.be writes that VLM liquidator Jan Loyens says that the payment he recieved is now checked with the CFI Cel Financiële Informatieverwerking (*) because it's an international payment, but he expects that this will be finanlized this month. First staff members will then get a labour contract, to finalize the application for the AOC.

Spokesman for SHS Antwerp Aviation is Yves Panneels - wellcome back!

- - -

(*) CFI = Belgian Financial Intelligence Processing Unit (CTIF-CFI) = The Belgian preventive anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing (AML/CFT) system.

SLM

Post by SLM »

Already news of VLM? Thanks.

carllegein

Post by carllegein »

Max 2 weeks and we will have news!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

carllegein wrote:Max 2 weeks and we will have news!
Great! That seems to indicate that the news will be good...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

According to this (http://trends.knack.be/economie/bedrijv ... 64299.html) (Dutch) article, the 'new' VLM wants to fly to... China.

They want to use OST as a hub. Maybe time for OST to build a new terminal? I don't think you'll find an uglier "terminal" in the whole of Europe! Looks like an airport in the Soviet Union...

ostair

Post by ostair »

Boavida wrote:According to this (http://trends.knack.be/economie/bedrijv ... 64299.html) (Dutch) article, the 'new' VLM wants to fly to... China.

They want to use OST as a hub. Maybe time for OST to build a new terminal? I don't think you'll find an uglier "terminal" in the whole of Europe! Looks like an airport in the Soviet Union...

Are they talking about the Chinese traffic that Liege used to receive?
As for VLM and Ostend as a hub.
First see and then believe.

If true then this would be great for EBOS.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

For sure China is a giant market.
China is a stable country. Things are only getting better.
Every middle class Chinese is crazy about Europe.
Chinese are now big spenders and well behaving tourists.

More destinations from BRU and (cheap) charters to Ostend and Liege are certainly possible.

Belgium has te best location in Europe and plenty of capacity to receive the planes and the tourists.
From Belgium it is so easy to visit other countries .

The potential is there.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

So, if i undestand well, no longer a Antwerp base for VLM. Perhaps no longer routes from ebaw either.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

To China with an F50? :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

AAI

Post by AAI »

the ANR LCY
from time to time an AF charter
and the new connection ANR MBX

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

MBX, LJMB??? Is there a demand for that??

With that F50??? :o

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

@saratoga: thanks for adding the ICAO code, much more readable (for me, at least). And I totally share your skepticism.

@AAI: ANR-LCY hasn't been a proper VLM destination for several years now. As I said before, the sale to AF was the beginning of the end. (BTW AF=Air France).