VLM Airlines news 2016

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

VLM Airlines news 2016

Post by sn26567 »

Good start of this year:

"We're having an issue with our payment system. Bookings through are website can't be made at this moment. Apologies for the inconvenience."
André
ex Sabena #26567

crew1990

Re: VLM Airlines news 2016

Post by crew1990 »

And they lost the sunweb charter contract to Egypt which will now be operated by Fly Egypt in summer.

I wonder how long will last Vlaams Luchtvartmaatschappij.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

I agree. Everything they do seem to fail. Perhaps they have to change from business flight to touristic flights like jetairfly, ofcourse with other aicraft.

To be honest: i think end of 2017 the company will not there anymore. Pitty. :(

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

"We're having an issue with our payment system. Bookings through are website can't be made at this moment. Apologies for the inconvenience."
Bookingengine was working again less than 3 hours later.

+ VLM Website started offering bookings from Friedrichshafen to Berlin,Dusseldorf,Hamburg.
Flights twice a day during the week and 1 flight on sunday evening to each destination. Ops commencing Feb 15th 2016.

Hue

Post by Hue »

From what I hear, VLM has a new CEO after Arthur White and Steve Blair. Not visual yet on their website. Anyone who can double check/confirm?

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

You're absolutely right, and it's not just a new CEO either. I'm sure the press will pick this up real soon.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote:
Inquirer wrote:Tabula rasa at VLM's management: http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 5-3085.art
And here
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/economie/1.2544802
Thanks for the second link, because the one in De Tijd is only available by subscription :)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Meanwhile, it seems Arthur White has given up on the CEO's position and will simply keep an eye on his business from the President's seat. Given the lack of clear direction and the subsequent mistrust of the unions in his capabilities to run the airline and bring it to profitability, such is definitely not a bad idea.

What I wonder is if the new management team is going to be allowed to draw up a new strategic plan, and what that will consist of? Are the recent changes in their network already talked through with them, or were they still cooked up by the old management (and thus at risk of being revoked, as well?).

Interesting times ahead, as I personally think that the business case for an airline like VLM is very limited as a stand alone company: I really wonder what conclusions the new management team will come to.

AAI

Post by AAI »

GVA is one of the best european destinations for Brussels Airlines, they recently reported,
VLM will stop GVA due to too low LF
that is't to understand, that must be inefficiency!

b720

Post by b720 »

I agree, I do not understand why They can not make GVA work.. And they axe it just as ski season starts, and weeks ahead of the Geneva motor show that attracts lots and lots of visitors from everywhere, including Belgium.. I really do not get it!

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I have to agree... I really, really like VLM, even though I've only flown with them once, to LCY.
However some of the decisions they made over the last few months/years seem to raise questions.
Thomas

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Indeed GVA can work without any doubt...
A good fare, a morning and an evening rotation, good service, ...
What is the problem?
The name I guess and too less advertisement!
the people who see the advertisements ad the antwerp tram thinks it's a business airliner, so they will fly easyjet to GVA, thrice daily from BRU...
Business people with alliance cards fly SN seven? daily...
Europe NORTH and UK connects to GVA in brussels..
So what they need is advertisements with all in fares, a connection with an alliance and some smart businness links which will work without doubt...
The same I can say for BHX..
So connect ANR, with GVA,BMA,BLL,HAM and try also some good working ones from others :)
NCE,BIO,VGO,...
Kriva have you flown VG to LCY or WX ...?
Maybe a detail but as LcY works why not try it itself from ... EIN?
Hope the new management can see what gies wrong and what they need.. or for summer... JAF is the lonely operator in ANR... besides WX.. which will by then operated by... some avros? :)
CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

I agree. The perception is still that it is an airline for business people. Perhaps they should start to change their name to reposition themselves, as a start to change their policy.

Let's hope that the new management comes ups with a good strategy. It would be pitty to lose that company.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

cathay belgium wrote:Kriva have you flown VG to LCY or WX ...?
I was going to ask the same question. Long ago I did fly VG (before they were purchased by AF and integrated into WX) from LCY to BRU (not ANR), and service was indeed superb, with 2 stewardesses!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

What's wrong with being seen as a business airline? Provided you can live up to your promises of course.

I see no reason for VG to shy away from that image, quite the contrary. They've always been catering to business flyers with a premium product and high fares to match. The fares they charge out of FDH are right up there at around 250 euro return (even higher if you prefer a more flexible ticket) - as they should. If VG is to be successful again, they should find a spot in the market where yield is more important than volume.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

While it was officially of course a WX flight, it was very obvious on board that the crew themselves were VG. I can't say anything about the actual offer on board VG flights, the people providing the service is what mostly makes the memory of a flight to me. And that part of it was impeccable.
Thomas

AAI

Post by AAI »

but who is now flying to FDH, with a population of 58.000!
Intersky couldn't survive, why VLM would!
they have now a fare ANR FDH via HAM
there is even a connection FDH HAM ANR SOU possible, but no fare for the moment
i forecast that FDH ( after the LGG debacle ) won't be a success
and advise them to concentrate on ANR with connections to GVA, MAN, NCE...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Amongst all adjustments the new CEO Hamish Davidson has to do, to get rid of that Sukhoi contract is probably the most important one. The SSJ cannot operate at Antwerp and it's not certified yet for London City Airport.
Last edited by Passenger on 14 Jan 2016, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.