VLM Airlines news 2016

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Xavi

Re: VLM Airlines news 2016

Post by Xavi »

Yesterday the first Bodensee-Airport-Conference was held with representatives from politics and economy. They want to intensify the cooperation between airport, airlines and economy.
Clauf Fischer, Vice President Commercial Development, spokes of a long-term commitment of VLM in Friedrichshafen. "The seriousness of our market-entry is underlined by the fact that we - as a Belgian airline - will build an own establishment with 25 employees in Friedrichshafen." The VLM set great value on close consultation and cooperation with the regional economy in the Bodensee area. "We are a tandem. A stable air supply and its development shall be effected jointly."
As well VLM reduces their flights from ANR - SOU from 5x weekly to 3x weekly from April.

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Oh well, just two letters to repaint: FLG Airlines... (Friedrichshafen Luftfahrt Gesellschaft).

Strange, sad, disappointing that ANR is not an economical viable base to develop and sustain multiple routes, next to the LCY de facto 'winner' route

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

DIBO wrote:Strange, sad, disappointing that ANR is not an economical viable base to develop and sustain multiple routes, next to the LCY de facto 'winner' route
It hasn't been for VLM no. But even if FDH turns out to be a big success for them and they end up leaving ANR altogether, I'd still consider Antwerp to offer enough potential to other (future) carriers that do manage to find the right strategy - and execute it properly.

AAI

Post by AAI »

VLM is a bike without pedals
they go where they get big subsidies
and they have to leave when the supports stop

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

end of the first week at FDH ;-) Image

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

end of the first week at FDH ;-)
So normally they should have passed already the 1000 PAX mark in this first week,or not?
Bookings were not bad we read earlier..
Hopefully 'die schaffen dass in FDH' and it brings some oxygen to VLM :)

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

AAI wrote:VLM is a bike without pedals
they go where they get big subsidies
and they have to leave when the supports stop
Following the subsidies is one thing, pissing off a long-term partner like Antwerp Airport is another. Don't expect much goodwill from ANR towards VLM in the future - and thus little to no expansion in Antwerp.

AAI

Post by AAI »

i wish them good luck in that village FDH
thinking about Intersky!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

According to the title of a paying article in ch-aviation, People's Viennaline (a regional airline based in Altenrhein, Switzerland, despite its name!) will soon lease a Belgian Fokker 50. I bet this is a VLM aircraft. Who else?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

A new airline will operate from ANR. The name will be announced on wednesday, they will take over the route to GVA wich VLM left and start a new route.
And looking to the expansion and good loadfactors of JAF at ANR, i think the problem is rather VLM wich is unknown by most flemings...

Stij

Post by Stij »

Welcome Schengenzone!

Xavi

Post by Xavi »

sn26567 wrote:According to the title of a paying article in ch-aviation, People's Viennaline (a regional airline based in Altenrhein, Switzerland, despite its name!) will soon lease a Belgian Fokker 50. I bet this is a VLM aircraft. Who else?
That's right, just found a free article: https://www.austrianwings.info/2016/02/ ... nach-wien/

The Fokker 50 will operate on the route Altenrhein - Vienna every Sunday from 3rd April until 10th September.

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Thank you.
That charter flight to Pula can be booked with Highlife Reisen!

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

Shengenzone wrote:A new airline will operate from ANR. The name will be announced on wednesday, they will take over the route to GVA wich VLM left and start a new route.
And looking to the expansion and good loadfactors of JAF at ANR, i think the problem is rather VLM wich is unknown by most flemings...
If we're going to compare the brand awareness in and around Antwerp of VLM to that of the new operator, I'm not sure VLM would be on the losing end :) That being said, I think it's much wiser to attract a purely business oriented operator on these kind of routes - with small planes and high fares it's obviously much easier to make money. And much easier to send out a consistent marketing message as well.

As much as I liked flying to Geneva for 39 euro, I'd much rather see Antwerp Airport flourish with some sustainable routes.

PS: Any hints on which other route will be launched? :D

Shengenzone

Post by Shengenzone »

Well yes, but VLM made mistakes by starting up routes from Liege for example, or a too high frequency ANR to HAM. To then scrap them after a couple of weeks. Because they didn't do any advertising! (Just putting it on your own website and that of an airport isn't going to draw much customers!) Upsetting customers who already booked and providing no alternative or help to find a new routing. Just a standard email whitout further reply on questions isn't going to help the matter. This made a lott of customers not wanna fly VLM ever again. As well as the cancellations at the last minute with flights from Southampton and put people on a long busjourney home whitout any explanation isn't going to make your airline very popular. And if it where low fares people would still somewhat understand...
I really hope VLM has come to realise this and get's a fresh start in FDH to finally Break-even or even grow. It would be a shame to see them dissapear from the sky like Intersky.
I do see a positive change though in FDH, they got a lott of media coverage from newspapers, tv stations and so on, so i think the management finally came to realise that advertisement is extremely important.

Xavi

Post by Xavi »

After 1,5 weeks operating in FDH the load factor isn't that bad for the beginning (as well as you just can book since 11th January):
FDH-DUS apprx. 54%
FDH-HAM apprx. 49%
FDH-TXL apprx. 53%
Total FDH apprx. 52%

For return flights within the next two months the average starting price is between 160€ and 260€, hence a good yield.

Load factor of the other routes in the last days:
ANR-HAM apprx. 25%
RTM-HAM apprx. 24%
ANR-SOU apprx. 15%
WAT-LTN apprx. 47%
WAT-BHX apprx. 31% (only one flight)

FDH and WAT load factors are not bad.

HAM flights to ANR and RTM are improvable (25% are also not enough even with a good yield I guess). I am surprised that these flights have such a low load factor, because isn't there a potential for a lot of business travellers? Hopefully the new sales manager for Germany (responsible for corporate business) will do a good job.

The route ANR-SOU is pretty bad, so no surprise that it will be reduced from 5/7 to 3/7. Isn't there any potential?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Xavi wrote:The route ANR-SOU is pretty bad, so no surprise that it will be reduced from 5/7 to 3/7. Isn't there any potential?
Southampton should perform much better indeed. Just like for Hamburg, harbour traffic should be the target: crew moves. Cruise passengers are a bonus then.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

ANR-HAM apprx. 25%
RTM-HAM apprx. 24%
ANR-SOU apprx. 15%

and what about HAM-SOU-HAM ? is that included in the above statistics?
Any figures yet on BHX-GVA and ANR-FDH?

Surprised about RTM-HAM. They should maybe extend the HAM route to e.g.Le Havre,offering extra port connection to both RTM and HAM.

FDH looks promising though.

VLM_Antwerp

Post by VLM_Antwerp »

Why are Milan Malpensa, Hannover, Bologna, Munich and Nürnberg in VLM's booking engine departing Antwerp.
And also Bologna, Hannover, Nürnberg and Stavanger departing Rotterdam?
ANR Booking Engine
ANR Booking Engine
Schermafbeelding 2016-02-25 om 10.51.56.png (61.57 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
RTM Booking Engine
RTM Booking Engine
Schermafbeelding 2016-02-25 om 10.52.14.png (51.96 KiB) Viewed 4433 times

Xavi

Post by Xavi »

FLYAIR10 wrote: Any figures yet on BHX-GVA and ANR-FDH?
ANR-FDH is about 60%.

This morning I was surprised as I turned on the radio and heart a radio ad from VLM at Antenne Vorarlberg. :)