2016 Antwerp airport (ANR/EBAW) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: 2016 Antwerp airport (ANR/EBAW) latest news

Post by Passenger »

I need some help...

The Green Party will soon launch a poll "what to do with Antwerp Airport when the airport is gone":
http://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20160617_02343 ... luchthaven

Would be great is some people could join the search for that online poll. It will probably appear soon on http://groendeurne.be or http://groenmortsel.be. Unfortunelaty, my eyes don't endure their nonsense long enough for a thorough search.

My suggestions, once ANR airport is gone:
1. a verrry large fishpond
2. an ostrich farm
3. rice fields

barnabelg

Post by barnabelg »

... or a medieval village, so that the members of that party can go there and live the live that they seem to prefer.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

... or a recreational aerodrome: few ways of landuse are (on the long term average) quieter, or more stimulating to bio-diversity.

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Joking apart, recently EGIS and JAF are doing their best to increase the support for the Green and the 'close the airport' campaign.
There was a lot of support for the JAF flights out of Antwerp when they started. People like the convenience of the nearby, cosy, little airport. But that was the period when early JAF arrivals were around 9am at the earliest, and the last departures before 8pm.
Now there are flights in the evening departing at 10:30pm, arriving up to 11:40pm (delayed flight + extending aerodrome opening hrs.) and in the morning arriving just minutes after the first runway inspection has finished at 6:35am and departing around 7am. Even on Sunday mornings!! JAF, you are waking up children/people during the week and whole families during the weekend. Any idea how silent a city can be at 6:30am on a Sunday, an how much noise an arrival over the city or a departure towards the city and over the suburbs can create!!??
And I am a total aviation fan, 100% pro aviation, 200% pro EBAW, and totally love the E190 as a spotter and a passenger. But I tried my whole live to be objective and fair. And the airport was there before anybody else. But not with these very early/late arrivals/departures. Sabena's 737-200's were massively more louder, but didn't fly in the weekend (and I don't remember such early departures during the week). And the exceptional early morning departures to Jersey of up to 6 DC-6 each with 4x P&W Double Wasp radials, was music, not noise at all :-).
So JAF, if you care about ANR, think twice about your schedules...or buy some CS-100's...

koninckske

Post by koninckske »

Opening hours of ANR have been 630 until 2300 for as long as I can remember. Landing after 2300 for ANR based airplanes that are delayed and scheduled to land latest at 2230.

So JAF is operating 100% inside these limits and the limits have not changed since EGIS took control. If people assume that living close to an airport with few flights in the past would be a guarantee for the future then they have taken a gamble, but they know that the airport was there and they could have looked at the operating license the airport had. No need to complain for them.

PS I would like the CS100 also for JAF from ANR, it can carry more passengers than the E190 and will have a bigger range for new destinations from our short runway. But the E190E2 seems to have a very good short field performance too, maybe a better option for JAF

Falcon16xl

Post by Falcon16xl »

"Brussels Airlines" charterflight:
OO-DWK SN1505 BA46 atd ANR 17-06-16 20:30pm to Venice - VCE / return ?

Falcon16xl

Post by Falcon16xl »

"WDL Charterflight":
D-AWBA WDL610 BA463 atd ANR 18-06-16 07:40am to Bologna - BLQ / return ?

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

This thursday and Sunday will see the last JAF flights out of Antwerp-Deurne to Berlin-Tegel.
Seats selling at EUR 19.99 ow.
Anyone an idea of the loadfactor of these flights? and the previous weeks?

PttU

Post by PttU »

I flew ANR-TXL and back on the long weekend of Ascension (OLH Hemelvaart), begin may and both flights seemed full, so I guess a LF of 90% or more. Too bad the timing of the flights isn't more citytrip-weekend friendly.

However, I have a magazine called "Welcome at Antwerp Airport", which mentions Berlin and Barcelona as most popular destinations from Antwerp... A few pages further it lists the most-wanted destinations according to a poll, with Berlin on 3rd place for both business and citytrip. The now cancelled route to Milan is a top-scorer as well and Geneva also seems to draw more interest than revenue.
The magazine doesn't have a date printed, but going from the interviews it seems to be dated around the end of 2015. I got this magazine from the Stampe&Vertonge museum, but I think it should be in the seat pocket of every flight to or from Antwerp!

b720

Post by b720 »

Seems that Chalair ceases operations at ANR as of July the 8th?? Flights to GVA zeroed out!!! Impossible to book.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

Unbelievable! If now a new operator comes again to serve geneva then it must be an idiot!

What new options are there left out of ebaw???

PttU

Post by PttU »

Why is it so hard to make the Geneva route work from Antwerp? From BRU there are 4 (or even more) big planes filled each day... Are all those travellers from a region closer to BRU than ANR? Is it because there's no low cost option? Are there so many transfer passengers passing by BRU to GVA?

Stij

Post by Stij »

Aren t there 6 daily SN flights and 2 U2's?

Those who want flexibility in schedule fly SN
Those who want cheapo fly U2

Market covered...

Cheers

Stij

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

I think it is also about publicity. I did not see any ad's promoting flights anr-gva.
And also in Antwerp there is no network that is serving other destinations.

Now one has to think if there is a future for ebaw concerning scheduled flights. I would say, invest more in general aviation services. Attract more jet charters, fbo's and aircraft maintenance facilities. That trend in ebaw is that operators are coming, offering a scheduled flight and then leaving again within a short period. It shows that there is no real demand for that.

Sad but true.

koninckske

Post by koninckske »

Bmi Regional closed their base in MAN. ANR operation cancelled.

Stobart operating as Flybe: fleet reduced from 2 to 1 ATR at SEN. ANR operation cancelled.

VLM almost killed by management after buyout due to bad decisions. GVA and BHX cancelled from ANR. HAM and SOU seem to do better lately.

Chalair trying to compete on GVA with low frequency and high fares against high frequency and low fares from BRU.

Jetair cancelled MXP and TXL: 3 weekly lowcost against 3 daily or more lowcost from BRU... But flights to BCN, ALC, AGP, PMI, IBZ and NDR are doing very good (LF 80% and more, often selling out faster than the JAF from BRU) and are being expanded since they have started.

If you get weak operators, you can expect routes to be cancelled fast if they don't perform and make money fast after they have been started. Otherwise those type of companies will go bankcrupt quickly (look at VLM). Stronger companies have more time for promotion and to make an operation work (look at JAF).

If for example we take a new route to Munich. Should VLM start it or Lufthansa. Who do you think has the deepest pockets to make it work and who has the biggest network to support connecting traffic.

Small airlines against big airlines, small airlines against lowcost... they better do their research well and find a good niche before they start a new route.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Antwerp's best bet would be Brussels Airlines (using Flybe).

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

And while Antwerp-Geneva shows no flights available after July 8, the route between Antwerp and Caen has completely disappeared from the Chalair site. Not on their fancy (ahem) routemap, not there when you select ANR as the 'From' airport.

convair

Post by convair »

Why would SN be interested in investing in ANR for the time being? They have enough on their plate developing their activities out of BRU. And ANR can't possibly be a feeder for BRU anyway. Same for CLR btw.

b720

Post by b720 »

I contacted Chalair's agent in Belgium: APG AIR AGENCIES, inquiring about the flights to GVA, as I am booked on some after July the 8th.. anyway their response was:
"Vluchten zijn momenteel niet zichtbaar, dit ligt aan maintenance van de website."
I don't know how convincing this explanation is??

b720

Post by b720 »

Chalair, France confirmed that their flights between ANR and GVA will operate as scheduled post JULY 8. Their booking system is down.