(Lack of) Cleaning incident on a Ryanair flight

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by Inquirer »

Seriously Sean.
How long does it take to clean it up? 5 minutes?
The problem is not that there were no cleaners, the problem is nobody of the cabin crew felt the urge to roll up its sleeves and do the dirty work himself. And before you say there were no tools for that: well, may I suggest a towel to be added to the onboard equipment? I suppose water and a plastic waste bag are available, so indeed, it's not requiring a huge capital investment. Mentally however, it proved an insurmountable hurdle to that crew. As said: it tells a lot about what they see as acceptable service standards. Very sad reality check.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Cabin crew in Ryanair are seen as food handlers and are not even ALLOWED to clean up vomit. They followed SOP's But you wouldnt know that would you with all your expertise in aviation. :lol: I am done with this discussion.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Well let me tell you one final thing, sean.
As I've told here before, managers move around during their career and one of the advantages is it gives you a bit of insight in many sectors of the economy. One of the places I've been involved in, was in the distribution sector and let it be one of the well known discounters ryanair likes to compare itself to. ;)
I suppose you are remotely familiar with the way an ordinary Aldi story is run?
I understand you cant know how the regular after closure cleaning process is organized internally by them, but who do you think cleans the floor when a customer drops something or a baby has a little accident during opening hours? I'll let you take a guess as to which "food handler" takes a bucket, a towel, some water and some soap, puts on plastic gloves and wipes the floor a minute or two.
Oh, and don't forget about the yellow cone! All internal memos were very clear about not forgetting that one for legal reasons.
Maybe another ex-retailer you certainly know off (mr Jacobs) can bring a few more sector attitudes like taking inclusive responsibility for the looks of the store during its opening hours over to your place too, when the time is right?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Are people in Aldi now preparing and serving food as well? Damn, I should go and check that out asap.

Are you now claiming I dont know my own SOP's?

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Ok, and how does the restaurant around the corner do that? They go in the back get some cleaning utensils en start wiping. Do they handle food just after that? Yes. I just hope they wash their hands after handling the cleaning...
Thinking you might get sick yourself by doing that? Use a surgical mask and gloves.

No excuse for just letting it lie there.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The issue it not with people who are serving food, but PREPARING. If someone vomits in a restaurant the dishwasher will clean it or a waiter if really needed. Have you ever seen the chef cleaning vomit? The rules on food handeling and preparing are very clear about this.

It's not an excuse, its an SOP

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

Inquirer wrote:I agree its no big deal, but I wouldn't call it a non-event either.
Not only is it indicative of mediocre product standings, it may actually be labeled a sanitary issue even
And here we go again! The same people who think it is OK to put passengers with a potential communicable disease for 6 hrs in an A330 think it could be a sanitary issue to put people for 50 minutes one row away from some covered vomit.
Over and out!

Passenger

(Lack of) Cleaning incident on a Ryanair

Post by Passenger »

It’s all about respect to your passengers. Contrary to what some here say, I don’t think that any other airline would allow boarding when there is vomit on the ground next to where people have to sit. Blocking off two or three seats didn’t stop the ugly smell, as the passenger who reported this to The Irish Mirror clearly states: “I had to sit next to vomit for an hour and a half, the plane was warm the sick smelled and it made me heave."

Respect for the passengers. Same here: FR-2984 Rome-Brussels (FCO-BRU) from 18th August 2015. That flight was delayed by 4 hours: arrival at BRU was 01h24 iso the scheduled 21h30. According to data on flightradar24, it seems to me that aircraft (EI-EVZ) was used as backup for FR4891/FR4892 (Rome-Catania-Rome) when it was supposed to leave for Brussels.

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airplanes/ei-evz/

Let me guess: “we sincerely apologize but our backup aircraft was not available to do FR4891/4892 and we encountered some unforeseen ATC delays with the BRU-aircraft we therefore used...”

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The BRU aircraft was the quickest operational solution for the Catania passengers. Or let me put it another way: this solution cases the smallest disruption throughout the network. Its peak summer season an spare aircraft are limited and on some days it means that operational aircraft need to cover for AOG's. What is the problem with that? Airlines have delays all the time? If they would have had to wait for another aircraft to be available you would have posted it in another way. Sad person :D

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Do I have to keep repeating this? Play the game, not the man. If you can't do that, either stay out of this, or any other, discussion.
Either do that, or face the consequences of your actions.

Trust me, I won't keep saying this...
Thomas

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

sean1982 wrote:Cabin crew in Ryanair are seen as food handlers and are not even ALLOWED to clean up vomit. They followed SOP's But you wouldnt know that would you with all your expertise in aviation. :lol: I am done with this discussion.
I have to agree with Sean on this. OK sitting around an area with vomit is not comfortable but who, as a passenger, wants his food to be treated by someone who just cleaned up vomit before? Even when using gloves doing the clean up?
And what is next? Cabin crew changing a tire when technicians don't show up???

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

what a comparison. cleaning vomit vs tyre change. I'ld say it is easy to see why the crew wouldn't do a tyre change. But cleaning vomit with a paper towel or some napkins BEFORE passengers enter the plane when being on ground should be doable, no?

Is it a fun job, no. But every job has it's downsides.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

flightlover wrote:what a comparison. cleaning vomit vs tyre change. I'ld say it is easy to see why the crew wouldn't do a tyre change. But cleaning vomit with a paper towel or some napkins BEFORE passengers enter the plane when being on ground should be doable, no?

its not part of the jobdescription, and like I said 4 times now, not even allowed

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

flightlover wrote:what a comparison. cleaning vomit vs tyre change. I'ld say it is easy to see why the crew wouldn't do a tyre change. But cleaning vomit with a paper towel or some napkins BEFORE passengers enter the plane when being on ground should be doable, no?

FYI I was making a joke about changing the tire...some people really have no sense of humour...lol

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

flightlover wrote:But cleaning vomit with a paper towel or some napkins BEFORE passengers enter the plane when being on ground should be doable, no?
Would you be happy to know that you sit on a seat which have been clean with just swiping some napkins on it, I guess you wouldn't see there were vomit there but it would still be smelly and duty, you need some equipment to clean it, and what about if it's on the carpet does the cabin crew have to to lick it to make it clean?

The only moment the crew deal with vomit is when safety is involved for example if there is vomit on a seat belt this is the responsibility of the crew to change it, so we put some glove take out the dirty seat belt to put some new spare one.

Actually I wonder how they do as Ryanair as there are no latex gloves in their equipment.
Last edited by crew1990 on 20 Aug 2015, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

crew1990 wrote: Actually I wonder how they do as Ryanair as there are no latex gloves in their equipment.
Pardon??

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

sean1982 wrote:
crew1990 wrote: Actually I wonder how they do as Ryanair as there are no latex gloves in their equipment.
Pardon??
What haven't you understood?

Stij

Post by Stij »

OK, this vomit incident smelled long enough on our forum. Topic locked for 24h to cool down.