(Lack of) Cleaning incident on a Ryanair flight

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

(Lack of) Cleaning incident on a Ryanair flight

Post by Passenger »

Seems there were no cleaners at Gatwick Airport last Sunday...

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... er-6267828
"... A passenger had to sit beside vomit for the entire duration of a Gatwick-Dublin flight. The passenger claims the sick was there from a previous flight and he said cabin crew told him it would not be cleaned up until the plane landed in the Irish capital. He told the Irish Mirror that cabin crew made no attempt to clean it and told him it would not be cleaned until Dublin. Ryanair said: "We sincerely regret this incident which was caused by a shortage of cleaners at Gatwick Airport, which would have delayed the return flight by more than one hour"...

crew1990

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by crew1990 »

Passenger wrote:Seems there were no cleaners at Gatwick Airport last Sunday...

"... He told the Irish Mirror that cabin crew made no attempt to clean it...
What are the pax expecting, the crew don't have to clean the vomit we don't have the material to do it, the only thing we do is to put some instant coffee as it neutralise the smell and we put some paper on it to hide but it's all we can do. In the case of Ryanair they don't have any instant coffee, so I guess they just leave it like this but we can't blame them, if they don't have the material.

Redacted

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

crew1990 wrote:

What are the pax expecting, the crew don't have to clean the vomit we don't have the material to do it, the only thing we do is to put some instant coffee as it neutralise the smell and we put some paper on it to hide but it's all we can do. In the case of Ryanair they don't have any instant coffee, so I guess they just leave it like this but we can't blame them, if they don't have the material.
Redacted
Agree, when it happens inflight. But that wasn't the case here. The passenger states that is unacceptable that it wasn't cleaned after the landing at Gatwick. Let me guess why it was cleaned at Gatwick: because the cleaners at Dublin Airport are own FR staff, whilst the cleaners from Gatwick Airport are third parties, thus sending an invoice for every intervention?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

You guessed wrong ... Ryanair doesnt employ cleaners for the aircraft at all and so all cleaning staff are third parties and send an invoice after the job.

I think the article was clear no? There were no cleaners available for more then an hour after departure, for a flight that lasts 50 min.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Passenger wrote:
crew1990 wrote:

Redacted
Agree, when it happens inflight. But that wasn't the case here. The passenger states that is unacceptable that it wasn't cleaned after the landing at Gatwick. Let me guess why it was cleaned at Gatwick: because the cleaners at Dublin Airport are own FR staff, whilst the cleaners from Gatwick Airport are third parties, thus sending an invoice for every intervention?
I agree that the airplane had to be cleaned on the ground this is what I wrote but this part of the message has been deleted. This is the difference between Ryanair and the other airlines, the other airlines wait for the cleaners and ask the pax to sit next to some smelly vomit from the previous flight.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:I think the article was clear no? There were no cleaners available for more then an hour after departure, for a flight that lasts 50 min.
That's not a fact - that's just Ryanair's statement. And as always, Ryanair Always blames somebody else - in this case Gatwick Airport: "We sincerely regret this incident which was caused by a shortage of cleaners at Gatwick Airport, which would have delayed the return flight by more than one hour..."

A shortage of cleaners? One person with a bucket and water for a job of 5 minutes. That's all that was needed. But no: the pressure on the crew to leave on time prevealed.

b-west

Post by b-west »

Passenger wrote:But no: the pressure on the crew to leave on time prevealed.
That's also not a fact, but just your assumption.

As a token of goodwill I would expect Ryanair to offer some sort of compensation to the passenger. Nobody should be expected to sit next to vomit.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

b-west wrote:
Passenger wrote:But no: the pressure on the crew to leave on time prevealed.
That's also not a fact, but just your assumption.

As a token of goodwill I would expect Ryanair to offer some sort of compensation to the passenger. Nobody should be expected to sit next to vomit.
He's extemely good at taking his assumptions as facts and discarding actual facts

Call a cleaner in BRU and see how long it will take if it is not scheduled .. These companies dont keep cleaners around for cases like this. They will come when they have a hole in their schedule

Avroflyer

Post by Avroflyer »

I stand by Sean in this one ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but FR's planes are cleaned by Cabin Crew in between flights so they would have to wait quite a long time to get a cleaning team to their aircraft in case it's unscheduled as those teams are assigned one plane after the other and rest assured even if it's scheduled they sometimes manage to arrive late ;)

No airline would delay one of it's flights for some puke especially for such a short flight how unfortunate it may be and sometimes the cleaning doesn't even properly clean it as I already witnessed myself ;)

RTM

Post by RTM »

I do understand the balance between operating on time, and the neccesity of cleaning. But that doesn't excuse everything.

If you decide not to clean, like in this case, the seat in question, and the ones next to it should have been blocked. And the vomit covered up.
If the loadfactor doesn't allow that, than you will have to wait and delay the flight IMO. Mind you that it is not just uncomfortable to sit next to a puddle of vomit, but it also contains biological hazards. Not to take lightly.

Avroflyer

Post by Avroflyer »

Ofcourse one should trust on the fact that the crew uses common sense in deciding if it would be "acceptable" to leave like that yes or no and as we don't know the full circumstances it is rather difficult to decide if they could have dealt with the situation differently yes or no.

On the picture the vomit is covered up with tissues which is not ideal but if nothing else is available...

According to FR's statement the crew did block off the row of seats: "The cabin crew blocked off the row of seats in order to minimise any delay to the return flight, and we apologise for any inconvenience caused."

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The seat row was indeed blocked and the passenger who reported this to the press was sat in the seat row on the other side of the aisle.

convair

Post by convair »

A storm in a glass of water...

RTM

Post by RTM »

Then I don't really see a problem...

Stij

Post by Stij »

Couldn't someone have posted a bit earlier that the row was blocked???

It would have settled this discussion a lot quicker!!!!!!!!

;-)

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I was training and had to look it up in the system first.
I dont use assumptions, so I wanted to be sure

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I agree its no big deal, but I wouldn't call it a non-event either.
Not only is it indicative of mediocre product standings, it may actually be labeled a sanitary issue even, and for what urgent and unavoidable highly important matter actually? Operating the next flight?
Just wondering what people would say when the same happens in a restaurant or a shop, and the manager moves the people sitting around it a bit further away.... and then nothing else till closure that night?
I wouldn't particularly think very highly of that venue, or any other place which doesn't have the reflex to just clean it up first? Call me old fashioned maybe, but I still expect a bit higher product standards regarding looks, feel and smell on an average plane, than on an ordinary subway train to the Bronx.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

3 words: axe to grind
Quite a lot of crew members also from sn have tried to give you the industry insight which you, as usual, ignore.
Jump on the bandwagon with passenger please

(And it is your assumption that it was left there untill the end of the night ... Not a fact)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

As I have said before, its not exactly proof of high class to give priority to continuing as normal over just cleaning it up no matter what, because to me this isn't to be considered as normal on a plane at all, regardless which company it is or what band wagon you want to put me on.
As i have said before: I somehow have to accept subways smell piss, and buses are dirty these days, but its not a product feature I'd like to see considered the new normal on any plane I take: seems one is now awfully oldfashioned for just expecting a clean start to his journey already.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

You can also expect for your bus or metro or airplane to drop you off at your destination on time, rather then inconvenience hundreds of people for a duration longer than the planned flight time to get something cleaned.