Emirates A380 is in Brussels on Friday 18th Sept 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Emirates A380 at BRU ?

Post by nordikcam »

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/actualit ... 3e9391c3c5

Emirates could send an A380 to Bru.

Emirates says so underestimated the Belgian market. As early as mid-December, the company had already announced having to use a larger aircraft (a Boeing 777-300 of 360 seats) than originally planned on its daily flight Brussels-Dubai "Growth is very promising in Belgium and, apart from the Boeing 777-300, our largest aircraft with this type of comfort, it is the Airbus A380," explains Mr. Frach, a former manager of Lufthansa. Remember that with 58 aircraft of this type, the Dubai company is the first user for the A380 in the world. And for several years, since she has already ordered 82 others.

Remains that Brussels-National Airport will have to make a few adjustments to accommodate this double-decker aircraft. "Tracks are adapted, but needed improvements to the level of the taxiway and boarding gates, which must operate on two levels," explains on the side of Brussels Airport. "These investments are expensive, but we will achieve them if a company agrees to bring an A380 to Zaventem." "We will have discussions on the subject with airport authorities," explains his side Mr. Frach.

Source : La Libre

chineseboy

Re: Emirates A380 at BRU ?

Post by chineseboy »

this is cool news to see a A380 on BRU but not really surprising, imagine when Emirates will receive all their ordered A380. how they fit the A380 in their schedule? sending to every airport in their network a A380 ?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I'm not really happy to see them coming with a 380 however there will be a positif aspect, BRU will finally get some double gate.

Michelmvd

Post by Michelmvd »

I think it is not surprising they are doing it so good. EK is the best airline in the world. They know what service is from the start to the end of the flight. Super good news to have a A380 planned in BRU. If they would have the 5/6 freedoms, so that they could continue their flights from BRU to the US, Canada, then sure they would operate very quickly with an A380. Grz Michel
Last edited by Michelmvd on 26 Feb 2015, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Is there anything legal preventing them to operate a second daily flight? Doesn't Belgium have an open skies agreement with the UAE? I'm not saying they shouldn't bring the A380, but usually they grow frequency before growing capacity. Anyway it will take some time for the airport to be ready.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Emirates might also introduce the A380 at Glasgow "if conditions are right". I guess that Brussels is even more important than Glasgow, isn't it?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... 1424860422
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Look at AMS, Schiphol also had to invest a lot of money for the A380, still they did it while only knowing that EK would come (I don't have to say KL was not happy). But not that long after the upgrade to A380, they went up to double daily with an additional 777 flight.

I could see the same happening in BRU, yes AMS is a bigger market maybe, but it also has a lot more non-stop competition compared to BRU. Either EK goes to two daily 777 and eventually one daily each for A380 and 777 or they will first go A380 and later a second daily T7. It all depends on how willing BRU is to invest and if they really want to see a second daily first or not.

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

chineseboy wrote:
RoMax wrote:Look at AMS, Schiphol also had to invest a lot of money for the A380, still they did it while only knowing that EK would come (I don't have to say KL was not happy). But not that long after the upgrade to A380, they went up to double daily with an additional 777 flight.

often EK goes four daily to AMS

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

if EK goes A380 where they will park it on the B-pier ?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

chineseboy wrote: often EK goes four daily to AMS
Are you sure you aren't including Emirates Skycargo flights? As far as I know they have a daily A380 and a daily T7.

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

RoMax wrote:
chineseboy wrote: often EK goes four daily to AMS
Are you sure you aren't including Emirates Skycargo flights? As far as I know they have a daily A380 and a daily T7.

romax, you were right I've better looked up the info - the other two are indeed cargo flights
so AMS got a double daily with a A380 and a B777

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Once an airport is equipped to receive the A380, it can attract more of them. One mentioned AMS which built the A380 infrastructure to welcome Emirates. Now that this is done, China Southern is expected to be next A380 airline at Amsterdam (even before Paris CDG).
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote:Once an airport is equipped to receive the A380, it can attract more of them. One mentioned AMS which built the A380 infrastructure to welcome Emirates. Now that this is done, China Southern is expected to be next A380 airline at Amsterdam (even before Paris CDG).
China Southern is one of KL's biggest partners (KL itself is also quite big in serving Chinese destinations), so KL has been pushing for this. But at the time of the investment, only EK was a certainty. There were talks about other carriers like MAS, China Southern, etc. before, but we are now several years later and so far it's still just the EK A380.

Though contrary to AMS (which even has difficulties to attract A380 flights beyond the obvious EK), I'm not so sure BRU will ever get another scheduled A380 than those of Emirates. Still that doesn't mean it would be a bad investment, EK brings in a lot of money (not just the airline itself, but mainly the pax. it attracts and them spending in the terminal and parking etc.).

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

BRU is poor on East asia flights although India is covered double daily.
With the anticipated shut down of the BKK route (hope not), you already have a void looming.
My guess would be 3 daily 777Ws before seeing the first A380, the lapse of time BRU needs to get whale-ready.
BRU is a test case for TG's european ambitions and it seems the ME3 (+TK) are pushing them relentlessly out.
Not sure the infrastructure cost needed to accomodate for the A380 can be considered as a priority investment though as there can't be much of these birds at BRU ...

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn-remember wrote: My guess would be 3 daily 777Ws before seeing the first A380, the lapse of time BRU needs to get whale-ready.
No way, by the time there is a bilateral agreement allowing 3 daily from DXB, BRU has time to build a whole A380-ready concourse instead of 1-2 gates.

If EK can really guarantee daily A380 flights, I could see BRU investing in it rather sooner than later. Yes we might see double daily first, but certainly not 3 daily.

Even in AMS they went A380 before going double daily (and as I said, also there they had to persuade AMS to invest in an A380 stand/gate for them, because at that time AMS was not planning the investment yet as no other airline had firm plans for A380 flights to AMS).

LJ

Post by LJ »

sn26567 wrote:Once an airport is equipped to receive the A380, it can attract more of them. One mentioned AMS which built the A380 infrastructure to welcome Emirates. Now that this is done, China Southern is expected to be next A380 airline at Amsterdam (even before Paris CDG).
RoMax wrote:Even in AMS they went A380 before going double daily (and as I said, also there they had to persuade AMS to invest in an A380 stand/gate for them, because at that time AMS was not planning the investment yet as no other airline had firm plans for A380 flights to AMS).
Incorrect. AMS was A380 ready well before the A380 made its maiden flight back in 2005. The Polderbaan, which opened in 2003, was designed with the A380 in mind and the G-pier had two A380 capable gates from the start (though the A380 didn't exist back then). Moreover, the first A380 operator was expected to be MH, not EK.

LJ

Post by LJ »

RoMax wrote:Even in AMS they went A380 before going double daily (and as I said, also there they had to persuade AMS to invest in an A380 stand/gate for them, because at that time AMS was not planning the investment yet as no other airline had firm plans for A380 flights to AMS).
Incorrect. AMS was A380 ready well before the A380 made its maiden flight back in 2005. The Polderbaan, which opened in 2003, was designed with the A380 in mind and the G-pier had two A380 capable gates from the start (though the A380 didn't exist back then). Moreover, the first A380 operator was expected to be MH, not EK.

BTW KL accused AMS for paying EUR 2mln to EK to send the A380 to AMS. EK denied these allegations thus what's true about this is uncertain.

LJ

Post by LJ »

sn26567 wrote:Emirates might also introduce the A380 at Glasgow "if conditions are right". I guess that Brussels is even more important than Glasgow, isn't it?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... 1424860422
You do know that EK is already flying 2 77Ws a day to GLA? DUS is now 2 daily 77W and will go daily 77W and A380 daily as well in S15, just like what they did at many airports. Then again, given the number of A380s EK will get, sooner or later the A380 will come to BRU.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

TK is looking for B748 and A380 !
As we see the huge amount of a333/a332 planes in high season together with all the b738/a32x I guess you can't rule out a really big plane of TK !
TK has good fares,good service a a network to be proud of...
See this one growing all over europe so a big feeder to IST can make sense no?

EK and TK are similar in this case ?!

I always think how they, EK, is gonna fill all these seats..
Is everybody going to DXB nowadays ?
The market grewth is that big?

Bringing these big ones in,will lead to less flights from others, Thinking of ethiopian, etihad, jet...

Guess SN will need to start Tokyo soon or this opportunity will be gone also soon...
but off topic...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

LJ wrote: Incorrect. AMS was A380 ready well before the A380 made its maiden flight back in 2005. The Polderbaan, which opened in 2003, was designed with the A380 in mind and the G-pier had two A380 capable gates from the start (though the A380 didn't exist back then). Moreover, the first A380 operator was expected to be MH, not EK.
That's not true, although parts of AMS indeed were 'half A380-ready' (like BRU is a category E airport, but is certified for limited Category F operations to allow e.g. B748F operations and to act as a diversion airport for A380/B748). But AMS was NOT A380-ready before 2005, not at all.

Taxiways and aprons had to be adjusted/reinforced (e.g. the parts going over the Schipholtunnel). By the time EK arrived at AMS, ONLY G09 was ready for the A380 (later in 2012 also E18 was finished as a second A380 stand/gate) after it received a stronger pavement and adjustments to the double airbridges were made (or completely new, don't remember that 100%).

Some works were done before a first A380 customer was confirmed, others were carried out only AFTER Schiphol and EK made an agreement (though AMS paying EK is just KL bullshit, it ended with unfounded rumours). And yes MH was first expected to be an early A380 customer of AMS, but things were never firmed, contrary to EK very soon after the MH news came out. It just took some time afterwords before the actual first A380 flight landed in summer 2012. But I remember that in spring 2012, AMS was still working on the reinforcement of the roof of the Schipholtunnel to allow safe crossings without endangering the structure of the tunnel infrastructure etc.
cathay belgium wrote:Hi,
TK is looking for B748 and A380 !
As we see the huge amount of a333/a332 planes in high season together with all the b738/a32x I guess you can't rule out a really big plane of TK !
TK has good fares,good service a a network to be proud of...
See this one growing all over europe so a big feeder to IST can make sense no?
TK prefered frequency upgrades so far, but indeed there will come a time that they will use more and more large aircraft on key routes and the A380 and/or 748i could certainly fit into that plan. Though in Europe I could only see e.g. LHR as an A380 destination for them. But if they keep growing and they can't keep expanding in frequency, wait for more and more widebodies of TK in BRU, AMS, CDG, DUS, etc.
cathay belgium wrote: I always think how they, EK, is gonna fill all these seats..
Is everybody going to DXB nowadays ?
The market grewth is that big?

Bringing these big ones in,will lead to less flights from others, Thinking of ethiopian, etihad, jet...

Guess SN will need to start Tokyo soon or this opportunity will be gone also soon...
but off topic...
In another article a bit longer ago where EK's country manager for Belgium already said they are looking at going double daily or using A380 for BRU, that about 65% (if I remember correctly) transfers through DXB. I don't remember exactly the most wanted transfer destinations, but except for Thailand most of them weren't routes that I imagine would see non-stop flights to BRU. Certainly not North Asia like China, Japan, etc. DXB is too much of a detour for these markets.

But it's clear it's an instant success, they started in September, upgraded to a mix with -300ER way before that was planned (from the second day instead of December) and to daily -300ER also quite fast. It's Emirates, they won't stop if a route proves to perform that well. That country manager spoke in that article of Europeans with Emirates talking about the Belgian pearl because of the great performance of the route (also said to have good yields).

For Ethiopian? Don't worry, EK not much of a threat (TK more). Etihad, Qatar, Thai, Jet? Yes, but I only fear for Thai at this moment (and Jet once the FAA allows new routes of Indian carriers, I fear they will re-route through AUH very soon).

SN? No, many call them crazy for this, but I don't think they plan to go to Asia in the near or mid term and even East Africa is not a great routing through DXB (again, TK is much more of a threat).