SN welcomed 15.0% more passengers in May

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

SN welcomed 15.0% more passengers in May

Post by tolipanebas »

Brussels Airlines welcomed 669,850 passengers in May, no less than 15.0 percent more than in the same month last year, thus continuing on its double digit growth path.
Growth is significant on transatlantic flights (4.8%) and explosive on European routes (+15.1%), but African growth rate beats everything with a growh of 18.3% even, despite the black out of Belgian airspace on the 27th of May.

L/F grew by 1.1% to 72.5%
ASK grew by 13,5%
RSK grew by 15.3%

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... th-of-may/

Inquirer

Re: SN welcomed 15.0% more passengers in May

Post by Inquirer »

These are simply amazing growth figures, not just in volume, but also in the capacity offered: on a par with many of Europe's most aggressive low cost airlines in fact. They must have been pretty confident to be able to fill all those extra seats offered and it seems they were right indeed.
Well done.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If we compare the growth of SN (15%) with the growth of BRU (7.7%), it means that the market share of SN in Brussels keeps increasing. It now stands at 31%, when it used to be at around 25%. Not quite comparable to the dominance of LH at FRA and MUC, or AF at CDG, or BA at LHR, or KL at AMS, but steadily growing!
André
ex Sabena #26567

SFM

Post by SFM »

If I remember correctly, last year in May there was nearly always a 330 out for C-check.
This year this has not been the case, which I believe is one of the main reasons for the significant long haul passenger increase.

convair

Post by convair »

SFM wrote:If I remember correctly, last year in May there was nearly always a 330 out for C-check.
This year this has not been the case, which I believe is one of the main reasons for the significant long haul passenger increase.
I think you're right and this would account for most if not all of the Afi increase.
More impressive is the growth on Europe, although figures might be slightly distorted due to some charter flights previously not included have now been taken over as SN flights.
Always difficult to analyze figures when you don't have all the details. Those might even show a decrease in l/f on the Afi flights!

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

tolipanebas wrote:Brussels Airlines welcomed 669,850 passengers in May, no less than 15.0 percent more than in the same month last year, thus continuing on its double digit growth path.
Growth is significant on transatlantic flights (4.8%) and explosive on European routes (+15.1%), but African growth rate beats everything with a growh of 18.3% even, despite the black out of Belgian airspace on the 27th of May.

L/F grew by 1.1% to 72.5%
ASK grew by 13,5%
RSK grew by 15.3%

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... th-of-may/
Hi tolipanebas,

Again very good news... Far away above my expectations! It makes me really happy, as they truly deserve it!

Good to see them gaining significant market shares @ their BRU home also, despite Ryanair, Easy Jet, Vueling and also regarding the arrival of some others major players!

Vincent, Paris (F)

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

Inquirer wrote:These are simply amazing growth figures, not just in volume, but also in the capacity offered: on a par with many of Europe's most aggressive low cost airlines in fact. They must have been pretty confident to be able to fill all those extra seats offered and it seems they were right indeed.
Well done.
As said before by others, at first glance these figures look impressive indeed, but lets not forget:
-many bank holidays felt before a weekend, which means that lots of people went away for a city break.
-some of the former Thomas Coohk flights are now SN flights (higher loadfactor, more passengers and pax shifting from one airline to another, so a big influence on marketshare)
-C checks of the A330s in 2014.

The only thing which counts is the result at the end of the year, it should be in the 50-60 million to cater for subsidies which might be illegal and artificially low fuel prices.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I think that 50 million is realistic indeed, but without subsidies.
The low Euro is bad news but the low fuel prices are better news.

IMO subsidies would be humanly acceptable to me if SN increase their inventory of early-booking 69 Euro return fares, so that the working class can be rewarded for its hard work and service and afford a leisure trip. The same way I accepted FR to get subsidies as long as people could take advantage of low fares to reward them for paying expensive taxes despite their hard work.

I can't however accept this to subsidise 500 Euro return multinational corporate flex tickets.
The multinationals milk us plenty already in our daily lives. They can pay full price.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

Seems also the summer months will show great figures:

"Compared to last year, 18 percent more passengers will set sail to their favorite Brussels Airlines holiday in the first week of July, in total 265,203"

That's a lot in one week ... (well at least for SN :D )

Cheers,
Danny

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

DannyVDB wrote:Hi all,

Seems also the summer months will show great figures:

"Compared to last year, 18 percent more passengers will set sail to their favorite Brussels Airlines holiday in the first week of July, in total 265,203"

That's a lot in one week ... (well at least for SN :D )

Cheers,
Danny
HOT HOT HOT