BRU keeps booming in May, thanks to the STAR hub function

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

BRU keeps booming in May, thanks to the STAR hub function

Post by Inquirer »

According to De Tijd,
http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... eam_recent
BRU booked 7.7% more passengers over May vs. the same period last year.
Especially the transfer flows between STAR alliance airlines are booming, showing a growth of 16.6% even!

Its a trend we have seen over the past few months too, in which Brussels Airport and Brussels Airlines seem to really have found each other, obviously to the mutual benefit of both. Will be interesting to see the latters numbers for May and whether the trend of their very strong double digit growth continues for the second year in a row, as well as them taking back ever more market share on BRU even in the absence of any meaningful low cost expansion, but given these figures from the airport, such looks likely.

Simply amazing results for both Belgian companies.

Atlantis

Re: BRU keeps booming in May, thanks to the STAR hub function

Post by Atlantis »

The figures are indeed amazing and even better then airports with the same size.

Cargo is even more remarkable that it is growing so hard and fast and on most airport it is decreasing and even showing negative figures.

Due to the fact of the results of last year and the figures of this year, the extension of Pier A-West is again on the table because it will take a couple of years to build it.
The arrival of ANA is giving that extra push as it is a Star Alliance member and possible some others can follow like Singapore Airlines.

In the new extension they can have a look or to think about a double or triple bridge to dock an A380 of Emirates f.e. It's not a waste of money because a double bridge you can use also for the B777 and those ones are daily visitors at the airport. Or even for the A350 of Finnair who will use that aircraft on at least a weekly basis to BRU.

So in the very near future, new airlines, new aircraft and hopefully the final decision to build the Pier A-West will change the airport a lot and this together with a better mobility to/from the airport.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

I must admit that I am quite amazed with these figures... I didn't expect that again in May!

Accord to 7sur7.be,
http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1536/Economi ... -mai.dhtml
They also mention the 7,7% more passengers but +9,6% regarding transit/transfer PAX (which seems more correct to me than +16,6%).
They also do mention the brussels airlines performance ;-)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

To make the figures clear:

the increase of 7,7% is the average growt in pax in May of this year.
Transfer was growing in May of this year with 9,6%

Transfer over the period of January - May 2015 compared with January - May 2014 was growing with 16,6%

:)

@ Brusselsairlinesfan,

Brussels Airport will have for 6 months of this year more then 2 million pax a month, period from April till September. The figures were in line with the expectations and will grow more the next coming months because the huge jump to holiday destinations has to start. With the arrival of ANA at the end of this year, the performance will be even higher.

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I must admit that I am quite amazed with these figures... I didn't expect that again in May!

Accord to 7sur7.be,
http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/1536/Economi ... -mai.dhtml
They also mention the 7,7% more passengers but +9,6% regarding transit/transfer PAX (which seems more correct to me than +16,6%).
They also do mention the brussels airlines performance ;-)
it's a great news for BRU. i'm very happy. ( ça cartonne ;) )

brusselsairlinesfan

Atlantis wrote:To make the figures clear:

the increase of 7,7% is the average growt in pax in May of this year.
Transfer was growing in May of this year with 9,6%

Transfer over the period of January - May 2015 compared with January - May 2014 was growing with 16,6%

:)

@ Brusselsairlinesfan,

Brussels Airport will have for 6 months of this year more then 2 million pax a month, period from April till September. The figures were in line with the expectations and will grow more the next coming months because the huge jump to holiday destinations has to start. With the arrival of ANA at the end of this year, the performance will be even higher.

@ Atlantis,

Thank you very much for your kind explanation!

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi Atlantis,

I think you can include this year also October with more than 2,0 million pax :D

Cheers,
Danny

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Indeed DannyVDB, I even forgot October where they had last year 1.992.000 pax. So it will be even 7 months with more then 2 million pax.

brusselsairlinesfan

It will be interesting to know about the 'May performance regarding brussels airlines... to put things in perspective ;-)

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

Can anyone estimate the number of lost pax due to the Belgocontrol problems? We see several hundreds of flights cancelled. But what might be the impact on the number of pax? 50.000? Less, more?

Greetings from Denver,
Danny

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

I'm wondering if there will be a star alliance terminal one day?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Atlantis wrote:Due to the fact of the results of last year and the figures of this year, the extension of Pier A-West is again on the table because it will take a couple of years to build it.
The arrival of ANA is giving that extra push as it is a Star Alliance member and possible some others can follow like Singapore Airlines.
Interesting news and making much sense indeed, because it feels really crowded in the morning in the A terminal with planes sometimes waiting on the taxi routes to have a free gate.
With Brussels Airlines adding ever more routes and other STAR Alliance airlines more than happy to plug new routes into their network, things will likely only get worse in future indeed, so an extension will definitely come useful to those airlines.
I suppose that when they do build it, it will also include space for the US pre-clearance facilities which seem to be studied for BRU too?
And where will the low cost airlines be sent to park then?
The airport has just finished some construction works to give their passengers some sort of shelter from the rain and the wind, but that might not stay for long then, if the A terminal gets extended.
Is it just me, or is BRU convinced it has much better candidates for its future growth than just low cost airlines and is now fully pulling their card in order to become a true STAR hub?
Of course, it's also only now that such a thing is possible, with a homebased carrier which seems to be unleashed: no wonder the rest of the group is moving fast to implement their commercial strategy!
We need to see their figures for May, but they seem to have no problem repeating their explosive growth from last year, making the stagnating presence of low cost competition as good as irrelevant even, as BRU certainly has noticed too through these excellent May figures and their further outlook.
When would they decide on any new construction works, you think?
Oh, and please, add some extra parking spacse too, it's really getting ridiculous these days. :oops:

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Actually I'm on reserve for the moment so I'm spending hour to look the ballet of the aircraft coming and going, and around 9-10 o clock the is no parking lot available for aircraft, every single lot is used, it really impressive, what gonna happened in July and Augustus.

Ow quick question during the days of Sabena I was still a kids ;-) so not yet interested in aviation, could you briefly explain me how was the organisation of the airport as Sabena was much bigger and there were many other airlines.

If the A terminal is extended, how much gate will be added more or less and how will the organisation of the airport look like?

cnc

Post by cnc »

how is FR doing at BRU?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Brussels Airport official figures are right here on Luchtzak: https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... r-volumes/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

crew1990 wrote:Actually I'm on reserve for the moment so I'm spending hour to look the ballet of the aircraft coming and going, and around 9-10 o clock the is no parking lot available for aircraft, every single lot is used, it really impressive, what gonna happened in July and Augustus.

Ow quick question during the days of Sabena I was still a kids ;-) so not yet interested in aviation, could you briefly explain me how was the organisation of the airport as Sabena was much bigger and there were many other airlines.

If the A terminal is extended, how much gate will be added more or less and how will the organisation of the airport look like?
In the past, when Sabena was still flying, then you also had the C-pier, the satellite and that huge platform between the satellite and former Hangar 40. That space was used for all the small aircraft like RJ85 and RJ100, Dash 8, Saab, Fokker 50, etc.

With the extention of the A-pier we speak about 8 to 12 extra gates but it all depends how they would like to use it. If it will be only for widebody, then we speak about 8 gates.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Inquirer wrote:
Atlantis wrote:Due to the fact of the results of last year and the figures of this year, the extension of Pier A-West is again on the table because it will take a couple of years to build it.
Interesting news and making much sense indeed, because it feels really crowded in the morning in the A terminal with planes sometimes waiting on the taxi routes to have a free gate.
With Brussels Airlines adding ever more routes and other STAR Alliance airlines more than happy to plug new routes into their network, things will likely only get worse in future indeed, so an extension will definitely come useful to those airlines.
I suppose that when they do build it, it will also include space for the US pre-clearance facilities which seem to be studied for BRU too?
The airport has just finished some construction works to give their passengers some sort of shelter from the rain and the wind, but that might not stay for long then, if the A terminal gets extended.
Is it just me, or is BRU convinced it has much better candidates for its future growth than just low cost airlines and is now fully pulling their card in order to become a true STAR hub?
Of course, it's also only now that such a thing is possible, with a homebased carrier which seems to be unleashed: no wonder the rest of the group is moving fast to implement their commercial strategy!
We need to see their figures for May, but they seem to have no problem repeating their explosive growth from last year, making the stagnating presence of low cost competition as good as irrelevant even, as BRU certainly has noticed too through these excellent May figures and their further outlook.
Oh, and please, add some extra parking spacse too, it's really getting ridiculous these days. :oops:
Brussels airlines was a crucial factor in this. But they are doing good, they found their good strategy and it seems that at the end of this year they will have again black figures. They are opening interesting destinations and this makes it also more attractive for other airlines to fly more at BRU because SN can pick them up and bring them further into Europe.

With all thos extra flights of SN, the basis for Ryanair, Easyjet, Vueling, etc, it is very busy at the A-pier.
Since a couple of years I hope that all LC operations could move to the current Melsbroek air force base. But the military are not that willing to move because they like BRU for it's central position.
A move of all LC operations to that place with own parking tower would be a solution to make more free space at the current parking towers.

There is now a temporary car parking on one of the latest buildings they demolished in front of the old EAT buildings. But they are busy with a new project related to car space.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Inquirer wrote:
I guess BRU will one day regret having turned the satelite building into an office space... The way I see it, they could continue on the renovation of the old terminal which years ago was earmarked for low cost operations. Where once the old finger south was a new concourse could be constructed, I did a quick drawing in Paint and they could easily fit in 16 narrowbody gates without disturbing the adjacent taxiway.

This new terminal and concourse could be used to accept all shengen-non-Star Alliance operations, freeing up space at the excisting A-concourse. If one day necessary they could return the satelite to airport operations again and move the offices to another building.

At pier A, the Western extension could be stretched all to appron six where a new taxiway - replacing the current J taxiway and on the ground of A-pier West - could be constructed, so they could handle up to twenty widebodies at the same time with at the end about six gates designated for a possible future US preclearance zone...

If necessary, the construction of a new terminal (Star Alliance?) could be considered at the location of building two, connected with the excisting terminal. In theory a one sided pier could be build at this terminal, possibly a 'normal' two-sided pier if the entire technics zone would be demolished.

Low cost operations could still take place where they take place today and the planes could be parked at approns 4 and 6...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

crew1990 wrote:Actually I'm on reserve for the moment so I'm spending hour to look the ballet of the aircraft coming and going, and around 9-10 o clock the is no parking lot available for aircraft, every single lot is used, it really impressive, what gonna happened in July and Augustus.

Back in those days it wasn't such a big deal to handle a wide body or even your home carrier at a remote stand.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Atlantis wrote:

In the past, when Sabena was still flying, then you also had the C-pier, the satellite and that huge platform between the satellite and former Hangar 40. That space was used for all the small aircraft like RJ85 and RJ100, Dash 8, Saab, Fokker 50, etc.

With the extention of the A-pier we speak about 8 to 12 extra gates but it all depends how they would like to use it. If it will be only for widebody, then we speak about 8 gates.
Only 8 gates? Hardly worth the effort in my opinion... So they would only use the space between the Topaaz building and taxiway J?