BRU Summer 2016: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

crew1990

Re: BRU Summer 2016: news, new routes, airlines

Post by crew1990 »

Brussels Airlines is in talk with Air India for a route between Mumbai and Brussels

Stij

Post by Stij »

They were so prepared! Well done!

So, the transatlantic capacity of Jet Airways is compensated, the India isn't, but talks with Air India are ongoing.

Anything known yet about UA's future schedule from / to Newark?

Cheers,

Stij

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Stij wrote:They were so prepared!
Indeed.
All this has been prepared over several months (you don't just coordinate these new transatlantic flights and their connecting schedules between alliance members in one week) and the official announcement has been pending for some time, but 9W was seen dragging its feet to formally end their BRU ops in an attempt to make it as difficult as possible on A++ to step in and compete with them and their new partners.
Luckily there is something like Belgian labor laws on collective redundancies for their Belgian employees, or 9W might have announced moving to AMS only at the beginning of March, it almost looked.
DL will not like this new offering to the US from BRU, that much is a given. It will kick their but on New York in a way similar to AA's s couple of years ago, which is the aim of course. ;)
Last edited by tolipanebas on 18 Dec 2015, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

VERY GOOD NEWS from brussels airlines (& partners)! Good to see them growing on TATL and also in their key african market! Would be great if AI could open Mumbai too...

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

tolipanebas wrote:
Indeed.
All this has been prepared over several months (you don't just coordinate these new transatlantic flights and their connecting schedules between alliance members in one week) and the official announcement has been pending for some time, but 9W was seen dragging its feet to formally end their BRU ops in an attempt to make it as difficult as possible on A++ to step in and compete with them and their new partners.
Luckily there is something like Belgian labor laws on collective redundancies for their Belgian employees, or 9W might have announced moving to AMS only at the beginning of March, it almost looked.
DL will not like this new offering to the US from BRU, that much is a given. It will kick their but on New York in a way similar to AA's s couple of years ago, which is the aim of course. ;)
So in a few years we might have a A++ monopoly on BRU-NYC, although I guess DL can take the heat better then AA...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Oh nice.
One can't pretend they aren't delivering this time!
How much intercontinental passengers does this bring, resp. secures? Close to half a million?
With 3 daily flight to NY vs just one, its going to be an uphill battle for Delta, I fear.
I suppose the 2nd flight to NY-Newark in United is going to be an evening flight?
We might see DL downgrade their JFK or just consolidate everything on their Atlanta flight. Who's still going to be willing fly to just New York with them, other than real bargain hunters?
About Bombay. Interesting they mention the detailed talks with Air India. I suppose the Indian bureaucracy, the fact Air India isn't serving BRU yet as well as the fact they are not part in the JV all contribute to a delay on them announcing the launch of the route in parallel to all this? With a Toronto flight in place and BRU eager to keep India online, I would bet its going to materialize in due time.
Exciting times ahead. Seems like BRU and its home carrier are stepping up the game to outgrow the 'regional' feel still hanging over them.
What does this mean about the commitment of Lufthansa to them? My take is it's a clear sign they are going to take them over in full as I don't see a small airline like Brussels Airlines drawing up such a coordinated expansion plan together with big boys like United etch all by themselves. That's just not how I know multinationals of that size interact with players they dwarf in size, so somebody at Lufthansa must have given them a hint they may just replace 'Brussels Airlines' with 'Lufthansa Brussels' in their mind when thinking this plan over.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Conti764 wrote:
tolipanebas wrote:
Indeed.
So in a few years we might have a A++ monopoly on BRU-NYC, although I guess DL can take the heat better then AA...

Don't forget that DL actually is the 1st carrier WW! I think they will maintain the BRU-JFK flight... don't forget tha SN "only" flies 1xdaily there... There is certainly room for 2 dailies BRU-JFK flights.

Stij

Post by Stij »

About DL, don;t forget they're also a lot of pax originating in the New England area that have a DL frequent flyer card... just those are probably enough to feed a daily to Brussels...

Cheers,

Stij

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

United Airlines will from May 6th to October 29th, 2016 provide a second direct flight daily between Brussels and Newark Liberty International Airport, NY hub of the airline (both dates westward). The extra flight between Brussels and New York / Newark, UA45, will depart daily at 13.30 in Brussels, and will be the same day at 16.20 arriving in New York/Newark. The return flight, UA44, will depart daily at 21:30 in New York/Newark, and will be the next day at 11.30 am arriving in Brussels (all times are local).

From May 6 to May 25, 2016 and from September 8 to October 29, 2016, the flights will be operated with a Boeing 757-200 that seats 169 passengers: 16 flatbeds chairs in Business and 153 seats in Economy, including 45 Economy Plus seats.

From May 26 to September 7, 2016, the flights will be operated with a Boeing 767-300 that seats 214 passengers: 30 flatbeds chairs in business and 184 in economy seats, including 49 Economy Plus seats

convair

Post by convair »

Bold move by SN and *A indeed. As Tolpanebas wrote, they had time enough to prepare their reaction to 9W's exit.

A few personal comments:

- It might seem more logical for AC and SN to swap YUL and YYZ.
- Given the bad reputation of AI, LH should push SN to do Mumbai themselves, though codesharing with AI, even if this requires LH leasing an aircraft to SN. (also keeping in mind that LH is/was limited in its flights to India, due to bad relations with the govt of India)

- Although I don't want to dampen the euphoria too much, one should remember that half of 9W's pax were not leaving in BRU but continuing their trip on one of the 3 other 9W flghts; for these pax, a stopover in BRU or in AMS makes no difference, so that, even with a replacement AI or SN flight between Mumbai and BRU, this new *A setup will not be able to capture all former 9W pax. On top of that, if there is no Delhi replacement flight, there will be less pax "available" for a continuation to/from Newark, YYZ and BOM.
There were also, of course, pax originating or connecting in BRU onto the 9W flights; these and new ones that were possibly (wrongly imho) put off by an Indian airline might at least compensate for the "other" 50 % pax (I mean those who were leaving in BRU); these will be easier for *A to catch (except those to/from Delhi of course).
(Sorry this analysis seems a bit complicated as it is written, but I think you'll get the idea!)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I agree with convair. The new flights are replacing the transatlantic legs of the 9W flights, but probably the infamous Indian bureaucracy prevented to have a similar deal for the BRU to India legs of the same flights.

That means that the whole Indian market will be lost for BRU and will go to AMS with 9W.

No doubt that Star Alliance and Brussels Airport have done the utmost to avoid such a situation, but having myself had to fight against the Indian bureaucracy in a former life, I guess that it was 'Mission impossible".
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: Would be great if AI could open Mumbai too...
Would be better if SN starts this route themselves. AI is not really known for their excellent reputation. A lot of Indians avoid this airline at all cost...

Also why should AI start a service to BRU, for those pax to connect to a flight to North America, if they have direct flight to North America from India....

Another question is if AI has the funds to get an additional aircraft.
Last edited by OO-ITR on 18 Dec 2015, 16:01, edited 2 times in total.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

The second flight to Newark is only a summer flight?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

convair

Post by convair »

OO-ITR wrote:... why should AI start a service to BRU, for those pax to connect to a flight to North America, if they have direct flight to North America from India....
Exactly! No need for it; no money for it; no good service for it...forget it!

convair

Post by convair »

lumumba wrote:The second flight to Newark is only a summer flight?
This topic is for Summer 2016.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

In the article of De Tijd, Gustin actually indicates that they are looking at Mumbai themselves (and that this could potentially delay the plans for Lagos and Libreville), this will be in cooperation with Air India. A decision will be taken in the coming weeks.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/transport ... 7-3084.art

SN501

Post by SN501 »

According to the FB of BRU, yes.

b720

Post by b720 »

indeed, AI's product is inferior to that of 9W to say the least.. I really hope SN will operate BOM with own metal.
Shall offer seamless transfers through BRU to N.A. and the local O.D. between BRU and BOM ..
As mentioned above, many Indians try their best to avoid AI.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

RoMax wrote:In the article of De Tijd, Gustin actually indicates that they are looking at Mumbai themselves (and that this could potentially delay the plans for Lagos and Libreville), this will be in cooperation with Air India. A decision will be taken in the coming weeks.
Yes, indeed. The topic was discussed in a press teleconference just after the publication of the press release. At the end of the first quarter, SN will decide whether to fly to BOM (in codeshare with AI) or to LOS/LBV.

That's probably the time necessary for the Indian bureaucracy to make up their minds...

And about the reliability of Air India: it has grounded two 787-8s (again!): VT-ANI and VT-ANH.
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

SN501 wrote:
According to the FB of BRU, yes.
THX
So it's not so big news at the end 1 more plane ( ( that we new already)the other one is for 2017 and 1 summer flight with a 757....
I was thinking of a big plan to replace the long haul fleet.
Like that we will stay with the problem of canceled flights!
Hasta la victoria siempre.