BRU Summer 2016: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

b720

Re: BRU Summer 2016: news, new routes, airlines

Post by b720 »

Beirut is not more dangerous than Paris or Brussels. Apart from the ISIS attack in the suburbs of Beirut the eve. before the attacks on Paris, Beirut is quiet. Business is running, travel as well.. BEY is reporting over 10 pct growth over last year's figures.. It is served by over 40 airlines.

b720

Post by b720 »

They have an interline agreement with MEA. for many destinations in Africa. A huge community in Canada as well, Montreal specifically. MEA code shares flights of AC YUL - GVA and AC on MEA flights GVA-BEY same with YUL-LHR-BEY. MEA is a member of Skyteam, and they still work closely with AC .. If SN opens YUL from BRU, in addition to the AFR flights, BEY will definitely make sense, provided timing of the flights are suitable for connecting from and to AFRI and YUL.

brabel

Post by brabel »

crew1990 wrote:About the new destination, a few thing has been communicated internally for the long, but has it's still not official I won't say anything about that :-)
Anxiously waiting.

When would that press conference be?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote:
ptr wrote:Is it just me or does BEY seems like a very strange destination for SN?
Indeed. Why not Baghdad or Damascus or Aleppo?
More of a strange comparison than a strange destination :lol:
As has already been said already BEY can be a nice fit for SN's network given the large African network, but also the good connections to France (well connected already by MEA and Air France, but it's not a secret that with some attractive pricing, you can persuade passengers to transfer through another hub like BRU).
The interline agreement with MEA (already serving BRU, so that makes it even a less 'strange destination') probably already shows part of the potential market there for SN.

convair

Post by convair »

Kapitein wrote:Slotrequests are in.
SN "longhaul": LOS, YYZ, BEY, IST and IAD daily.
SN "EU": LUX, TLL, MPL, NTE, TLN, SZD (Sheffield), CLY (Calvi), URO (Rouen).
UA with extra EWR flight 76W equipment.
VG will do more charters to holidaydestinations it seems.
Wowair to KEF request is also in.

Just to inform: no confirmations, only requests
Sabena used to fly to Lagos (with an intermediate stop in Kano if I remember correctly). BEY could be promising; on IST, they will have to compete with 2 strong Turkish airlines, so I'm less optimistic (both destinations not really longhaul btw). YYZ is interesting (to be swapt for YUL with AC I presume).
An additional Star Alliance flight to NYC seems a good idea; now should it be JFK or EWR?
Opening new EU feeder destinations is also a good idea imho; probably with a couple of wet-leased Q-400 and/or ERJ.

I hope most will be confirmed soon.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

w
Kapitein wrote:Slotrequests are in.
SN "longhaul": LOS, YYZ, BEY, IST and IAD daily.
SN "EU": LUX, TLL, MPL, NTE, TLN, SZD (Sheffield), CLY (Calvi), URO (Rouen).
UA with extra EWR flight 76W equipment.
VG will do more charters to holidaydestinations it seems.
Wowair to KEF request is also in.

Just to inform: no confirmations, only requests
Can SN request slots for DEL and/or BOM as long as 9W is flying these routes ?
I suppose these are bilateral agreements between India and Belgium :?:
Best regards,

Airbuske

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

airbuske wrote: Can SN request slots for DEL and/or BOM as long as 9W is flying these routes ?
I suppose these are bilateral agreements between India and Belgium :?:
I don't know exactly how it works with requesting slots and granting traffic rights which are arranged through the bilateral agreements, but I guess when 9W decides to terminate one or both routes from India to BRU, these traffic rights can be given to SN (or another carrier which wants them) and SN can launch that route without speficially requesting these slots in advance? Not sure at all, just asking

BRU

Post by BRU »

No need to wait till 9W stops before asking traffic rights or slots. Clearly b.air (and partners) is preparing to do something on North America when 9W pulls out, not on India.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Didn't see this one so far:

Jetairfly will grow the number of long haul flights from 8 to 10 weekly and operate more non-stops:

Punta Cana 3/w
Cancun 1/w
Varadero/Cancun 2/w
Santo Domingo/Montego Bay 2/w
Miami 1/w
Miami/Orlando Sanford 1/w

Jetairfly will also introduce a weekly flight to Larnaca, in combination with Paphos (already mentioned somewhere I think), that is served twice weekly.

More flights will be operated to Olbia, Bastia, Kos, Pristina and Almeria. The 2 weekly flights to Ohrid/Skopje will be suspended.

Source: http://brusselsairport.cmail20.com/t/Vi ... E12DB8921D

LJ

Post by LJ »

Transavia will start MUC - BRU from its new MUC hub. Flights will start March 25th and will be twice a day on weekdays and one a day on Saturday and Sunday.

Flight schedule

MUC - BRU HV9513 dep 0620 arr 0740 Mon - Fri
MUC - BRU HV9513 dep 0650 arr 0815 Sat, Sun
MUC - BRU HV9515 dep 1930 arr 2055 Mon - Fri
BRU - MUC HV9514 dep 08:15 arr 0930 Mon - Fri
BRU - MUC HV9514 dep 0900 arr 1020 Sat, Sun
BRU - MUC HV9516 dep 2140 arr 2300 Mon - Fri

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... to-munich/

b720

Post by b720 »

I would have expected an evening flight on day 7, nevertheless a great option for those traveling between BRU and MUC

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Some competition for the Lufthansa monopoly!

Additional information: Transavia will base four 737-800 aircraft in MUC and open routes to Bari, Bologna, Brussels, Catania, Copenhagen, Dubrovnik, Eindhoven, Faro, Mallorca, Marrakesh, Naples, Porto, Paris (Orly), Palermo, Pisa, Seville and Venice.
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

LJ wrote: Transavia will start MUC - BRU from its new MUC hub. Flights will start March 25th and will be twice a day on weekdays and one a day on Saturday and Sunday.
Many thanks for the info ! One more LCC at Brussels is always a good news.
Munich is a very interesting city, the Transavia schedules are very practical - and the prices are reasonable, if not ultra low. Their website is easy to use, at least as clear as Ryanair's.
I have just bought me a Munich day return for 38 euros - on the SN website, on the same week, it would cost at least 178,77 euros via Zurich, and at least 400 on direct flights. I presume they'll adapt their prices unless they want to carry only those whose company picks up the bill ...
Last edited by airazurxtror on 30 Nov 2015, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

IMHO, the schedule is clearly focused on bringing people TO Brussels.
The flights FROM Brussels are horribly timed for business people: from BRU, I'd arrive either almost at lunch break in the office (remember German office hours are 8-4, not 9-5 like ours), or I can take an evening night flight as equally inconvenient alternative. Their morning flight really needs to leave BRU earlier, and so does the evening flight in fact for it to be worthwhile to try it. I understand their plane does other things during the day and can't make it to BRU earlier, but the first flight could at least be leaving MUC 20 min earlier by starting the day at 6 iso 6.20; any good reason why it leaves so late?

Day returns to MUC are available for 150 euro under a high volume corporate contract with Lufthansa (no corporate flyer I know of books his day returns without such a contract anyway), and that includes lounge access at both ends thanks to the M&M status, so personally, its a lot of schedule inconveniences for few savings only.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Inquirer wrote: Their morning flight really needs to leave BRU earlier, and so does the evening flight in fact for it to be worthwhile to try it.
The morning flight leaves Brussels at 08.15, it's quite early enough if you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night; it lands at 09.30, to arrive downtown without hurrying around 10.30, when everything is open and accessible.
The evening flight takes off from Munich at 19.30 - meaning one departs for the airport around 18.00 to be on the safe side - and arrives at Brussels at 20.55.
An excellent timing, in my view.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Office hours in Germany start at 8 sharp, so when I'd arrive at our Bavarian plant (not in downtown MUC either BTW) via this flight, its close to 11: Lunchbreak starts at 11.45 in Germany. Half a working day lost.
The evening flight from BRU leaves Brussels 21.40. That's a long wait for my Germans colleagues ending their day at the office at 4PM already (5PM if they adjust to our rhythm and work 'late') or in fact for me if I want to go the evening before to avoid losing half a working day like explained above.

As said: the flights are reasonably timed to come TO BRU, but have a horrible schedule FROM BRU for corporate flyers. I suppose its the consequence of their planes not being based here? I feel easyjet has the same problem at BRU.

But still, I wonder why they don't leave MUC at 6 sharply: it would give them 20min extra to move everything forward a bit the rest of the day.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Inquirer wrote: As said: the flights are reasonably timed to come TO BRU, but have a horrible schedule FROM BRU for corporate flyers.
Corporate flyers are only a very small part of airline customers - and the airlines on which they use to fly (Brussels Airlines, Air France, ...) as a rule don't make much profit at the end of the year. If they want special schedules made for them and nobody else, they'd better hire a business jet.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Bring pax. to Brussels as the HQ is the reason for the flight I guess, taking leisure return is extra...
LH won't loose much as they use it as feeder flights for their long-haul destinations and biz. routes into europe...
Nothing HV can loose here...
I only see one casuality and that is the LGG E135 operation, is it still alive BTW ?
Good job of HV... but if they can fly BRU and EIN double daily I will see....

Leisure pax prefer cheap fares and create their own pax in a way, something SN can't and won't do as they need to attract africa and longhaul pax,... leisure is extra... as this is way more difficult to survive these days... things are what they are...

Enjoy your daytrip Michel, I will check myself also ;) before they are suspended again haha...
Wasn't VG also not thinking of MUC BTW?
Guess the drindl girls are attractive in 2016 ;)

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

LJ

Post by LJ »

cathay belgium wrote:I only see one casuality and that is the LGG E135 operation, is it still alive BTW ?
Gone as of tomorrow (01-12).
cathay belgium wrote:Good job of HV... but if they can fly BRU and EIN double daily I will see....
The EIN flights will be aimed at EIN originating people (it will be flown with an EIN based aircraft, just as the ORY flights). BRU will be MUC based. Furthermore, EIN and BRU are different markets (DUS is probably a bigger competitor for EIN than BRU).

Stij

Post by Stij »

On HV's MUC schedule...

To visit my supplier between Nüremberg and Munich (currently done by car given SN and LH high midweek fares (and we're not big enough to get 150€ corporate contracts mentioned above)) this schedule works perfectly!

Leave home at 6:40
Take the train at 6:49
Be in BRU at 7:22
BRU - MUC HV9514 dep 08:15 arr 0930
Be at the supplier around 11:00

Have 6:30 for quality inspections and meetings (true, the office closed at 16:00, but the CEO is always there until 18:00.)

Work until 17:30
Be at the airport at 18:30
MUC - BRU HV9515 dep 1930 arr 2055
Take the train at 21:21
Be at the railwaystation at 21:55.
Be at home at 22:00

For me... perfect!

Cheers,

Stij