Did Brussels Airlines hire 20 Lufthansa student pilots?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

simulator

Did Brussels Airlines hire 20 Lufthansa student pilots?

Post by simulator »

Rumour control has it that Brussels Airlines just hired 20 ab-initio student pilots from Lufthansa flight academy, without type-rating.
What about the dozens of Belgian student pilots waiting to get a job?
What about the money Brussels is receiving from our Belgian government? Being used to hire foreign pilots?
Or is my thinking a bit too far fetched?

Can somebody clarify pls? Thanks!

flightlover

Re: Brussels Airlines hired 20 Lufthansa student pilots?

Post by flightlover »

Those students might as well be Belgian, unless you have the full details it is to early to state they are all foreign.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

In the mean time BAFA, BFS and more keep selling "the dream" as more and more young people get plunged in financial troubles cause not enough cadet jobs are available. That's close to maffia practice :roll:

simulator

Post by simulator »

'Flightlover' might have a point, but that's why I asked the question, to get some clarification....
Why would they take 'Belgian' student pilots from a foreign flight school when there are, as sean1982 mentioned, so many graduates from Belgian schools waiting to get a job?
Puzzles me a bit.....

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Brussels Airlines being, to all intents and purposes, controlled by Lufthansa, this is not so very surprising.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

pimky

Post by pimky »

Amongst the many contracters hired on temporary contracts (20% of the workforce so about 100 pilots of which some are belgians), about 20 mpl ab initio copilots from the lufhansa pilot school are hired by brussels airlines for a 2 year contract.

pimky

Post by pimky »

With Type Rating and these boys and girls are german.

JAF737

Post by JAF737 »

Same story at Jetairfly...there are more than 30 Dutch ab-initio (!) F/O's in the company.

sean1982

Re: Did Brussels Airlines hire 20 Lufthansa student pilots?

Post by sean1982 »

As long as they create "real belgian jobs" its ok no? ;)
Oh no wait, they are contractors
All my posts are entirely my own view and represent no person or company in any way, shape or form

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

The Belgian aviation industry, among many Belgian industries has been sold out.
Even Godiva is no longer Belgian, so get used to it.

As for CAE, BAFA, BFS, and others, I blame the parents for blindly investing huge amounts of money without doing the due diligence and research.

Mind you, I have even warned some guys' and their parents that it's not as simple as the flight schools make it sound, but it fell on deaf ears.
Now their son is stuck with this huge debt and only has a piece of paper to show for it. Technically, he's insolvent. He even has to pay to keep the due date of that paper valid... how idiot is that :lol:

I have too much pitty to say I told him so.

My advice to the aspiring pilots: you want an office in the skies? Well, even if you get there, after a few years you'll look at it as a prison cell in the skies.
My advice to the 'smartphone generation' of aspiring pilots? There's no network in the skies to update ur status, so stear clear. :lol:

There's literally no other job that has less job security than a pilot.
You screw up once and you're out.
You screw up big and you can be happy if you can walk away alive and well.
Finally, while the cockpit allows you to control a lot of parameters, there are still an infite number of parameters that are outside of your control...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Flanker2 wrote: Mind you, I have even warned some guys' and their parents that it's not as simple as the flight schools make it sound, but it fell on deaf ears.
Now their son is stuck with this huge debt and only has a piece of paper to show for it. Technically, he's insolvent. He even has to pay to keep the due date of that paper valid... how idiot is that :lol:
Same here :(

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

It's amazing to see how the low cost poachers became gamekeepers...

Are we really so much better and safer with their system?

https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55657

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

Pilots have an EASA licence, which is valid on all aircraft registered in EASA countries.
Very sad for the unemployed Belgian pilots, but as Brussels Airlines is part of the LH Group and without LH there would probably be no Brussels Airlines and no jobs at all, I don't see the problem.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

If these are germans, do they have to be able to speak dutch or french????

But if you want to work for a german airline; requirement no 1: Fluently speaking german!!! These germans are getting on my system.

Aviation is a rotten business to the bone.

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

Recruitment at LH is in german.
Most legacy carriers do require you to speak the local language, LCCs are mostly English only.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

For every company in germany, this is the requirement! Sorry to say, but taking here the jobs away from unemployed belgian pilots and propably not speaking the language is pure arrogance of the germans for me. Totalisation has never been far away for them.
I rest my case.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

saratoga wrote:For every company in germany, this is the requirement! Sorry to say, but taking here the jobs away from unemployed belgian pilots and propably not speaking the language is pure arrogance of the germans for me. Totalisation has never been far away for them.
I rest my case.
Sorry to correct you, I used to fly for Germania and some pilot was foreigner, most of them speak German but not all of them, mainly in the base of Dusseldorf where 50 pour cent come from Holland.

Myself as cabin crew I was based in Dusseldorf, and I wasn't able to speak German, the only linguistical requirement was to have a few basic knowledge, thanks to my Dutch knowledge I managed to fake it :-) and being willing to learn German, what I did.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote:It's amazing to see how the low cost poachers became gamekeepers...

You seem to miss the point that your beloved SN has jumped on the same wagon

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:
Passenger wrote:It's amazing to see how the low cost poachers became gamekeepers...

You seem to miss the point that your beloved SN has jumped on the same wagon
I was indeed unware that Brussels Airlines also uses the dangerous and a-social Irish Pay To Fly system, as confirmed by the University Ghent in that other topic.

(if Brussels Airlines indeed uses P2F, that is).

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Euhm, neither SN nor Ryanair uses p2f

Google has let you down again. Contracting is something completely different