Germanwings A320 crash in France

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Germanwings A320 crash in France

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Germanwings Airbus a320 crashed in the French Alps, 148 passengers & crew on board.

Germanwings-Airbus stürzt in Südfrankreich ab In Frankreich ist eine Maschine der deutschen Fluglinie Germanwings abgestürzt. An Bord befanden sich 148 Menschen. :cry:

quixoticguide

Re: A320 Germanwings crashed in France

Post by quixoticguide »

Flight Barcelona- Düsseldorf
GWI9525 142+6 pax
D-AIPX
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

What? :o :shock:

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Average rate of descent 3.500fpm, I wouldn't call that slow.

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

Local French newspaper 'La Provence' says 148 people died in the crash.
Horrible news. RIP.

http://www.laprovence.com/article/actua ... vence.html

YYZ727

Post by YYZ727 »

France-info now reporting that the fuselage looks pretty much intact. Maybe there is some hope left after all.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Many source mention that there is nobody alive... Fast statement.

They had 10min to talk the problem, i guess somebody knows more
What would be the potential rescue airport in that area ?
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

AC.be

Post by AC.be »

Some quick thoughts about the possible cause of the crash when looking at flightdata provided by FR24.
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/airpl ... x/#5d42675

- Aircraft maintained heading during descent
- Speed was more or less constant with a slight reduction in the final moments

What worries me the most is that the aircraft continued on heading while in trouble. They could easily have diverted to Marseille, Cannes or maybe even Nice.

- Did they lose control of steering ? If so, why the nicely continues descent ?
- Was it a hjack ? Again, if so, why the nicely continues descent and maintained heading ?
- Was it an error of the flight control computers ? If so, the pilots could have taken manual control of the aircraft.

There are so many safeguards in aircraft systems just in case anything goes wrong. Basically, if it was a technical fault of the aircraft, the crew would have intervened and diverted to a nearby airport. So what could be the reason ?

One of the few scenarios I can come up with right now is that the crew was incapacitated. (Hypoxia maybe ? Like the Aegean 737 at Athens a couple of years back that had a faulty pressure relief valve). But still, if hypoxia actually was the cause, the aircraft would have stayed on course without descending ...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Waaaaay to early to speculate and especially to state that "they could have easily diverted" :shock:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

"Plane crashed in a crevice which is inaccessible from the road" at 2,000 meters altitude in the French Alps, in the area of the city of Barcelonette, according to French Transport Minister Vidalies.

Image BBC

The A320 was flying route 4U 9525 from Barcelona to Dusseldorf. Germanwings currently operates 18 Airbus A320 classic with an average age of 23.7 years.

This A320 crash will be the 28th hull loss occurence for this type of aircraft.

André
ex Sabena #26567

AC.be

Post by AC.be »

sean1982 wrote:Waaaaay to early to speculate and especially to state that "they could have easily diverted" :shock:
Ok, I should have been more clear. What I ment was, if this was a light to moderate technical error, they could have easily diverted to one of these airports, given the facts that there were airports available (the aircraft wasn't flying over a large desert or ocean). I am only trying to eliminate some causes based on the information we have now. Yes, there will be more info coming soon and no, we will never have all the info like the researchers have. But that doesn't mean we can't think about it and give our thoughts ?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

You have some valid points there AC, no turns and a constant (though rather high) descend. Latest reports say a distress call came in right before the crash (below 10.000ft) so I assume at the least one of the pilots was still alive.
Tot hier en verder

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Sounds a lot like the Helios crash with incapacitated pilots, but the again there's a small chance it could also be CFIT (despite all the bells and whistles), but also a suicidal pilot or hijack.
I'm surprised to read that the Germanwings A320 fleet is so old at 23.7 years average.

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Crash now confirmed by Germanwings:

UPDATE: Wir müssen leider bestätigen, dass Flug 4U9525 auf dem Flug von BCN nach DUS über den französischen Alpen verunglückt ist ...
Tot hier en verder

AC.be

Post by AC.be »

Zorba wrote:Latest reports say a distress call came in right before the crash (below 10.000ft) so I assume at the least one of the pilots was still alive.
This makes me think of the possibility that the crew wasn't aware they were in a descent (up till the moment they sent a distress call). Anyone have weather information of the region at that time ? Were the mountaintops of the alps covered in clouds at that time ? Or were skies cloudless with unlimited visibility ?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

AC.be wrote:
Zorba wrote:Latest reports say a distress call came in right before the crash (below 10.000ft) so I assume at the least one of the pilots was still alive.
This makes me think of the possibility that the crew wasn't aware they were in a descent (up till the moment they sent a distress call). Anyone have weather information of the region at that time ? Were the mountaintops of the alps covered in clouds at that time ? Or were skies cloudless with unlimited visibility ?
To communicate to ATC was perhaps not possible when there were huge technical problems to be solved first.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Aviate - navigate - communicate in that order.

Lets just hope it has nothing to do with this

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5584 ... -dive.html

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

quixoticguide wrote:Flight Barcelona- Düsseldorf
GWI9525 142+6 pax
D-AIPX
This has just been adjusted by Germanwings into 144+6.

br1n2t

Post by br1n2t »

last call from plane to ground: emergency,emergency... and then lsot all conections