2015 Antwerp airport (ANR/EBAW) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ezis_bis

Re: 2015 Antwerp airport (ANR/EBAW) latest news

Post by ezis_bis »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Exactly. Even if the figure triples (which it won't, overnight), no change.
otoh the eventual "Vlaamse Spoorweg Maatschappij" might have another view... ;)
The region has sufficient tools already to organize public transport there.
And yet they don't..

AAI

Post by AAI »

sorry Jan Olieslagers
my second !!! was only for joking
but there is a problem in generally
de lijn decided to stop the busses outside town
and passengers have to switch to the tram that is so totally crowded ( sorry but one ! is in this case necessary )
but when we will have > 250.000 pax again, maybe we can claim a direct bus connection again.

Stij

Post by Stij »

If the airport would become a succes putting the tram back in the Diksmuidelaan and from there to Berchem railway station and then further into the premetro for Middenstatie and the rest of the city centre would be the Ideal solution.

Cheers,

Stij

tangolima

Post by tangolima »

Hello

In the period SEP2013-JAN2014, I came from Gent everyday to ANR and I found the connection quite ok, with a bus every 15min from Berchem station (way better than in OST or LGG) and later on I lived quite close to the ''stadspark'' and was at the airport within 30 min by tram and changing to a bus at Berchem station.

Greetings,
All my posted timings are local !

Stij

Post by Stij »

Flightlover, I wanted to reply in a bit more structured way, which was not possible from my cell phone, so here we go...
flightlover wrote:A: wasn't track 27A used by the old 'amsterdammer' before they dug a tunnel from Anterp central station? At least after the detour he made between Berchem and Antwerp central?
Before the works at the Central Station started and the train still called there, the Amsterdammer used line 12 (the one close to the city centre).
During the works, when it didn't call there, they used line 27A (the one away from the city) upto Antwerpen Oost and switched there to line 12. Maybe sometimes they switched even further.

Line 27 A starts already in Mortsel, at Y Liersesteenweg, where it splits from line 27. Line 15 terminates there as well.

As already posted: 27 goes to Berchem and the Central Station (pax traffic from 27 and 15) and line 27A goes to Berchem, Antwerpen Oost and the harbor (freight traffic from 27 and 15).
flightlover wrote:B: There are a whole series of switches in between mortsel -> Berchem and Berchem -> Antwerp central. So, although it migh take a bit longer, it must be perfectly feasible to create a path to Antwerp central.
Crossing tracks in railway world is like intersecting runways in aviation world: it greatly reduces capacity and leads to delays. But in railway world there's a solution: a flyover!

A flyover has been foreseen so that Northbound train from line 15 can go to line 27A without crossing the Southbound track of line 27A. But nothing extra has been foreseen at Berchem, so chances that trains will call at the airport on line 27A are very limited. And as already posted: politically it'll be very difficult as long as the CRL railway station hasn't been built.

Cheers,

Stij

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Thx Stij for the clear awnser.

And you are correct the biggest hurdle will be pollitical, not only in the game between north and south but also in the vicinity of ANR. The greens have been allowing expansive living accomodation under the flight path when they where at the helm in Mortsel.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

Lately i hear a lot of "blablabla" of ebaw airport. Extending the terminal (up to 2 million pax :o ) new parking, railplatform and perhaps other things i forget. But are these things already in progress??? But you dont hear anything of new airline operators coming to antwerp. And i think that is now the main factor, dont you think?? It would be from business point of view very stupid to rely only on vlm and jetair. The only thing that we know is that jetair will do some flights, but sofar we dont know if it is going to be a succes. What is the plan with these sukhoi jets? New routes of vlm? All very vague to me and nothing concrete yet. And the freeparking? I agree it should stay, but if you want to extend the airport like they are presenting there is no other option than make it paying for. If i come now during the week to ebaw, the parking is already full and i am sure this is not of these few vlm pax. Don't get me wrong, i really hope ebaw is going to be a succes but i have the feeling that people are running now too enthusiastic all because of the arrival of jetair and the purchase of then sukhoi jets. And they have not started flying yet.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

This is the same kind of policical ego than we had in LGG.
Fancy new terminal but almost no pax.
Also a railway super close but wayyyy too expensive to build anything.
Even in CRL, where the train station is clear bonus, it will take 20 years :)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

b720

Post by b720 »

If VLM launches daily flights to new destinations other airlines might follow. Antwerp and the area can support an airport.. I think of LX to ZRH and maybe LH to MUC maybe BA will return from LHR? Offering pax lots of opportunities to connect.. Even OS to VIE?

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

When I was young and frequently coming to ANR to board a DAT charter or scheduled flight, I used to take the train (in Brussels) to the "Mortsel Deurne Steenweg" station, and then it was a ten minutes walk to reach the luchthaven ...
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Stij

Post by Stij »

airazurxtror wrote:When I was young and frequently coming to ANR to board a DAT charter or scheduled flight, I used to take the train (in Brussels) to the "Mortsel Deurne Steenweg" station, and then it was a ten minutes walk to reach the luchthaven ...
True, but these days no trains stop there anymore, they stop in Mortsel, 100m closer to the airport. But try to do this walk by foot in the rain... ;-)

Cheers,

Stij

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

The Dutch business and travel press is informing the Dutch trade that free parking at Antwerp is over:
http://www.zakenreisnieuws.nl//nieuws/c ... en-airport

This leaves Antwerp with just one of their two major advantages against other airports: the short check-in time (20 minutes before departure).

A one-day parking ticket will probably cost less then 10% of a VLM return ticket to London and the parking fee is a 100% deductable business cost. So it's not the cost itself that matters: it's the principle.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Yet it was unavoidable with the plans of JAF and further anticipated expansion of VLM. Also we have to keep in mind that ANR is now more run as a commercial airport and not some kind of public facility like it was in the past. Free parking is a nice advantage for an airport to attract customers, but not of big value if the parking is too crowded and for Egis it doesn't bring any revenue (at many airports landside parking is the number 1 source of non-aeronautical revenue, or at least second after retail).

But I don't think it will hurt ANR's position. Not only the short check-in time, but also the location is very beneficial for many many business travellers (and also leisure pax for JAF). I live in the north of the Antwerp province myself and ANR is now on top of the list for some destinations when the price is right (except for the fact that I like to travel from bigger airports, which is actually contrary to what most people want :p ). If JAF's prices are good, it's also a good alternative not only for BRU, but also for EIN.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

I expect that Hamburg will become the second VLM destination out of ANR. Wait and see.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Connecting big harbours of europe ?

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

cathay belgium wrote:Connecting big harbours of Europe ?
Rotterdam might be too close, Southampton has too little traffic, but Liverpool and Marseilles might other good candidates...
André
ex Sabena #26567

AAI

Post by AAI »

End of the eigthies Hamburg Airlines connected HAM ANR, without big success
i guess, when they start a new connection, it will be MAN ( again ) or BHX.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

The published data of a small market research by VOKA shows MUC as the 'most wished' German destination besides Berlin (which is already on the to-be-launched list)

http://www.voka.be/antwerpen-waasland/n ... p-airport/

AAI

Post by AAI »

MUC, yes, but than it must be in codeshare with LH

CRJ 900

Post by CRJ 900 »

If they add MUC in codeshare with LH one day, I will fly it at least 2 times a month. Would really be great!
Likewise with ZRH in codeshare with LX.
Rgds,
CRJ 900