Ryanair in 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by Inquirer »

Strange to see that a Copenhagen route goes to CRL, whereas a Verona route comes to BRU: somehow something is not entirely as it should be, is it?

As to Sean's remark Ryanair employs more Belgians than Jetair Thomas Cook and Brussels together, I'd be very much surprised, given there are only 9000 people or so on their payroll: it would have to make almost half of all Ryanair's employees in Europe Belgian then? :?:

Stij

Post by Stij »

Inquirer wrote:Strange to see that a Copenhagen route goes to CRL, whereas a Verona route comes to BRU: somehow something is not entirely as it should be, is it?
Personally I'm happy VRN is flying from BRU as it's an area in Italy I visit often for my business... and I prefer BRU over CRL especially for the distance...

Cheers,

Stij

CRJ 900

Post by CRJ 900 »

Hi,
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Copenhagen the shift of the flights from Malmö (added with some extra's as the catchment area is bigger)? It is only 60 km away and FR wants to stop flying there or stopped already.
Rgds,
CRJ 900

MrG4

Post by MrG4 »

Ryanair will consider operations from Oslo and Stockholm Arlanda airports in future, according to CCO David O’Brien (Check-in.dk, 30-Jan-2015). Mr O’Brien said: “We look at Stockholm Arlanda and Oslo Gardermoen and a number of other Scandinavian destinations.” Mr O’Brien added: “On a route from Copenhagen to Arlanda we would not be able to make do with a daily departure as we can to Skavsta. Here we would probably have to get up to at least four to five daily flights.” Norwegian and SAS are currently the only operators between Copenhagen and Stockholm Arlanda according to OAG, with CSA Czech Airlines to commence service in Apr-2015.

capa

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... -february/

Short extract :

Ryanair today (2 Feb) announced a Q3 net profit of €49m (compared to p.y. Q3 loss of €35m). Traffic grew 14% to 21m customers as ave fare rose 2% to €40. Revenues grew 17% to €1,132m while unit costs fell 6% (ex-fuel flat). Load Factors rose 6% points from 82% to 88%.

Key milestones in the 3rd quarter include:
• Net profit €49m, (up €84m from p.y. Q3 loss of €35m)
• Traffic up 14%, load factor up 6% points to 88%
• More primary airports and city pairs in expanded winter schedule
• Summer 2015 schedule loaded 2 months earlier
• US web site launched under our AGB programme
• First 5 of 380 new B737-800 aircraft delivered

Michael O'Leary :

Our balance sheet remains one of the strongest in the industry with gross cash of €4.1bn and a net cash balance of €447m.

May 2015 marks the 30th anniversary of Ryanair’s first flight from Waterford to London Gatwick. Over this 30 year period Ryanair has revolutionised air travel for European consumers/visitors by carrying over 750m customers at our very low fares while encouraging a number of other imitators in Europe (although none of these have been able to match Ryanair’s unique low prices). We are Europe’s original, and still its lowest fare airline. Ryanair has grown to become Europe’s largest international passenger airline and we now expect to carry 100m customers in 2015/16 becoming the first EU airline to ever carry over 100m customers in one year. 2015 will see a number of events and special promotional fares to celebrate the 30th birthday of low fares in Europe.

2015 will also be the 2nd year of Ryanair’s “Always Getting Better” programme, under which we continue to improve our customer experience and transform our mobile and digital platforms. In January we opened a US web site (http://www.ryanair.com/us) making it simpler for millions of American visitors to explore Europe with Ryanair’s low fares. The next big upgrade of our mobile app is scheduled for April. The Ryanair Labs team is now working to identify and deliver exciting new services for our customers, which will be rolled out during 2015.

A €520m special dividend (€0.375 per share) will be paid on 27 February. The shares go “ex-dividend” on 12 February. The dividend timetable is available on ryanair.com.

In light of our improved profitability and cash flows the Board has now approved a €400m share buy-back programme to commence on 12 Feb next. This systemic programme will, subject to market conditions, be executed over a 6 month period from Feb to August 2015.

IAG-Aer Lingus:
Since Ryanair has received no formal approach, or offer for our shares in Aer Lingus, we will not engage in any speculation about this proposal, other than to restate our position which is that the Board of Ryanair will carefully consider any such offer, should one be received, from IAG or any other party, in due course.

Full Year Guidance:

As previously guided full year traffic will rise to just over 90m as load factors rise to 87%. Q4 traffic is expected to grow approx. 25% but ave fares will fall by -6% to -8% as we use lower fares to expand our network and develop our business schedules. We have noticed a softening in prices for forward bookings during the first weeks of January. FY unit costs will fall by 5% due to lower oil prices (on our unhedged 10%) and these stronger load factors. As a result we are raising our FY net profit guidance (was €810m-€830m) to a range of €840m-€850m.
We would counsel shareholders and analysts to temper expectations for FY16. While we are still finalising our budget, we believe that any growth in profits will be modest as our fuel is hedged at $92 pbl whereas some competitors (whose weak balance sheets rendered them unable to hedge forward) will be significant beneficiaries of lower oil prices and this may lead to downward pressure on airfares in 2015/16. Ryanair’s over-riding strategy remains, to be “load factor active - yield passive” so it is important that analysts are mindful of this likely increased price competition when revising their forecasts. As lower oil prices kick in over the next two years, Ryanair intends to pass on much, if not all, of these savings to our rapidly growing customer base in the form of lower fares and therefore our profit growth expectations will be modest in FY16.”
- See more at: http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/ ... 1jzQ5.dpuf
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Mr O’Leary said Ryanair’s new focus on a better customer experience is working.
“Ryanair being nice to people has worked like a dream”
“The new strategy that we rolled out a few months ago, getting better and significantly improving the customer experience of Ryanair while still maintaining our low prices [is working].”
“Ryanair’s growth in a year has been more than Aer Lingus’ traffic.”

Ryanair CEO said the hot debate over Aer Lingus and the Heathrow slot is “now largely irrelevant” since passengers frequently try to avoid the London airport.
"A lot of hyperbole goes on about Aer Lingus and the slot at Heathrow. Most people I know try to avoid Heathrow for connecting traffic. It's a dreadful place.”
“The country has many things to discuss other than the future of a small, regional airline,” he added.
“The government as a 25pc shareholder is free to make its own decisions.” But “Aer Lingus will be better owned by an Irish group.”
He added: “It doesn’t matter because Ryanair is ten times bigger than Aer Lingus, and we’re going to become 17 times more bigger than Aer Lingus.”

Read more :
http://www.independent.ie/business/iris ... 56021.html

convair

Post by convair »

Incredible results! Is there a "flying" frenzy all over Europe?!?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

convair wrote:Incredible results! Is there a "flying" frenzy all over Europe?!?
This is an aviation enthusiast forum, so operational figures are very meaningful to discuss here indeed, but let's not fall into the trap of forgetting the bigger picture.

In the end it doesn't really matter a lot how much corn one pops per year or whether the new cheese flavour proves to be quite popular amongst frequent popcorn eaters, nor does it matter much one outsells by a large number of popped flakes any of your competitors selling nachos (does an individual consumer portion of popcorn contain the same number of bites as a standard pack of nachos in the first place?).

What ultimately matters are hard figures on the evolution of annual turnover and more so even net profit (and the ratio between them).

Financial markets aren't particularly impressed with the evolution of either of those, nor are they liking the forward looking guidance somewhat burried under all the non-essential figure spraying, whith ryanair shares down more than 6% today.

The same phenomenon can be noted too on easyjet and other big airline groups btw, although to a somewhat lesser degree; the reason being that the much hoped for beneficial impact of the downward evolution of oil prices on the bottom line of the well-established airlines may actually not materialize at all and even prove to become a significant cost handicap over the coming 12 to 18 months due to very unfavourable hedges which their smaller competitors aren't bound to, with the downside of this clearly leaning towards those particular companies with the lowest cost profile for all the obvious reasons.

The good news from this to aviation enthusiasts is that it may actually help the "smallies" in their fight, which is of course a bonus for the sustainablility of brand diversity in our European skies.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair will lease up to seven aircraft to add extra capacity over the summer season.
This follows a similar initiative in 2014 during which the airline's 302 737-800 were supplemented by three exemples on lease from flydubai, along with four 737-400 (sourced from Air Explore and Air Contractors) and a single Livingston Air Airbus A320.
(Airliner World, february 2015, page 6).

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair has hedged 90 per cent of fuel needs for the year ending March 2016 at $92 per barrel, about double the current price after the plunge in benchmark Brent crude in recent months, meaning it will only benefit slightly from lower jet fuel costs this year.
It has hedged 35 per cent of its full-year 2017 needs at a much lower $68 per barrel but it noted on Monday that many rivals who do not hedge out as far may be able to lower their prices further, leading to lower overall fares in 2015/16.

One wonders if many rivals will lower their prices - or just keep them as they are and pocket the profit. Until now, not many carriers have announced a reduction of fares ... Air Transat and Air Asia have - but Qantas has replaced the fuel surcharge by a rise in fares !
What about Brussels Airlines ?

Stij

Post by Stij »

I believe in the end the market decides on the price of a ticket. and that's valid for FR, SN and all the others.

What I would applaud is a legislation that obliges the airliners to include all the taxes and surcharges that can't be avoided in the base price and not even mention it when booking a fare.

Cheers,

Stij

MrG4

Post by MrG4 »

"Ryanair will announce new German bases in coming weeks as part of a plan to capture between 15-20pc of that market within the next five years. Lufthansa is currently the biggest carrier in Germany" said MOL in the last Indipendent interview
Which one? Berlin, Hamburg,Hanover,Munich ,Stuttgart

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Stij wrote:I believe in the end the market decides on the price of a ticket. and that's valid for FR, SN and all the others.

What I would applaud is a legislation that obliges the airliners to include all the taxes and surcharges that can't be avoided in the base price and not even mention it when booking a fare.
Actually, this legislation already exists: it's EU-Rule 1008 (October 2008)
https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic ... 07#p312307

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

A couple of weeks ago, there were a few hints posted here to a February press conference of Ryanair in Belgium at which they would allegedly announce many extra routes and much more news.

No idea if this is the said conference, but today De Tijd reports briefly on their live page that one of their journalists was present at a press conference this morning and that they intend to fly 7M passengers from Belgium this year, with a market share of some 25%.

Other than that, no news was posted online, so I guess it's -again- pretty windstill on the expansion front?
Or do the news conferences also include a free lunch these days? :D

http://www.tijd.be/markten_live/live_bl ... 4-2969.art

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

et voila, the lunch break is over, it seems. ;)

NL: http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... eam_recent

FR: http://www.lecho.be/entreprises/transpo ... newsteaser

In short: after all the circumstantial evidence pointing to a stalled expansion at BRU posted, it now seems the blame game for that has firmly started: BRU is said to be too expensive and not helpful to open up new routes.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I was at the press conference. Ryanair had sent four people: David O'Brien, Commercial Director; Juliusz Komorek, Legal Director; Yann Delomez, Manager for Belgium, France and Morocco; and Audrey Legaigneur.

No news worth mentioning, really. Most of the contents of the press release (which I will publish in the homepage of Luchtzak) was already known. The interesting discussions were held after the official presentation. Example: the conflictual situation between BATA and Ryanair.

I noted that Ryanair didn't fly to CPH from BRU, but rather from CRL, because of a pricing problem at Brussels. CPH is cheaper than BRU, and has more growth incentives for companies like Ryanair: this is more in line with the policy of CRL. O'Brien insisted that the cost structure at BRU is inadequate: too much emphasis on the number of passengers and little on the plane itself.

In 2015 Ryanair expects to attract as many passengers in CRL as in 2013. The drop registered in 2014 due to the opening of a base in BRU is thus temporary. Altogether, Ryanair expects more than 7 million passengers in Belgium for 2015, thus becoming the number one airline in the country before Brussels Airlines and Jetairfly.

Ryanair expects to transport 100 million passengers in 2016 and 160 million in 2024. To achieve this goal, 380 new Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being delivered (5 already delivered and 36 before the end of this winter), before the older aircraft will be replaced by 100 Boeing 737 MAX-8 with 197 seats (and an option for 100 more).

Ryanair claims that 27% of its passengers are travelling for business. A new mobile app will be introduced in March (the current one is really slow, as I experience myself). An improved website in April.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Two flights/day

Brussel (Charleroi) → Copenhagen Airport
08:55 - 10:25

Copenhagen Airport → Brussel (Charleroi)
07:00 - 08:30

Brussel (Charleroi) → Copenhagen Airport
18:10 - 19:40

Copenhagen Airport → Brussel (Charleroi)
16:00 - 17:45

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Hi André, thanks for the first hand information and update: at least somebody isn't going for lunch first, it seems!
sn26567 wrote:No news worth mentioning, really.
This has become a recurring issue with their press conferences in BRU, ever since last spring, something we both noticed pretty soon, didn't we? ;)
Adding all circumstantial evidence up, we speculated that it was due to the fact things weren't exactly going as planned (despite all the bigtalk from them, some really believed) and with the writing ever more clearly on the wall, they now seem to as good as publically admit too that they aren't printing money in BRU after all and can make more money operating from CRL.
sn26567 wrote:In 2015 Ryanair expects to attract as many passengers in CRL as in 2013. The drop registered in 2014 due to the opening of a base in BRU is thus temporary.
The communicating vessel theory, strongly denied at first, but now timidly admitted too? ;)

So, they are refocussing on CRL again.
That this was going to happen became obvious in fall last year with the joint press conference with the Walloon airport, a move which followed on several failed charm offensives in BRU.
It's clear the stream of non-telling press conferences they held in BRU in which they talked about all their plans withouth providing any substance to them, were just part of negotiating tactics to try to put pressure on BRU, something which clearly didn't help them either: seems that without financial help from the airport and faced with resilient competitors, they simply don't risk a prolongued fight and simply look for other easier places to grow from, exactly as could be expected.
Last edited by Inquirer on 03 Feb 2015, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sn26567 wrote: Altogether, Ryanair expects more than 7 million passengers in Belgium for 2015, thus becoming the number one airline in the country before Brussels Airlines and Jetairfly.
:D

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

airazurxtror wrote:
sn26567 wrote: Altogether, Ryanair expects more than 7 million passengers in Belgium for 2015, thus becoming the number one airline in the country before Brussels Airlines and Jetairfly.
In all fairness, but they said exactly the same thing last year too, if I remember well.
No idea how much passengers Brussels Airlines counts on flying this year, but if they grow at just half the pace of last year, they will again beat them at the finish line.