Ryanair in 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by airazurxtror »

Passenger wrote: On topic: they won't have to spend "double the money". It has been proven a zillion times already that, nowadays, one can easily find about the Ryanair rates (or even cheaper) elsewhere, specially if one travels with luggage.
It may well be that the most expensive Ryanair fares (on the last days before departure) can be matched or even bettered by other airlines.
But I don't know any airline (save Wizzair) that can match Ryanair lowest fares.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Passenger wrote: there are indeed quite some people who are willing to pay a bit more, if that will be in occordance to their conscience.
Only a bit more ? I should think that no price is too high to put one's conscience at rest.
( :lol: )

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

By using a universal search engine for a return trip MAN-AGP on those specific dates (May 29-June 1), here is the classification of airlines by increasing price (and this will surprise many):

1. SN (170£)
2. LX (190£)
3. AF (223£)
4. SK (233£)
5. IB (258£)
6. ZB (277£) [Monarch]
7. U2 (280£) [easyJet]
8. LS (316£) [Jet2]
9. FR (337£)
10. TK (342£)
11. DY (370£) [Norwegian]
12. BA (416£)
13. KL (702£)
(and a combination SN+LX is at 180£).

It seems that the Star Alliance is in pole position (except for TK, but then the detour through IST is a little longer...).
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:But I don't know any airline (save Wizzair) that can match Ryanair lowest fares.
I agree with you that Ryanair can usually offer the lowest fares on a route, that is if you are very flexible and can choose the days on which you travel (that applies to you and me).

But if you have to travel at fixed dates (because your holidays are fixed, or you have a business appointment for example), the competition becomes much stiffer, as shown in my above message.
André
ex Sabena #26567

fcw

Post by fcw »

sn26567 wrote:By using a universal search engine for a return trip MAN-AGP on those specific dates (May 29-June 1), here is the classification of airlines by increasing price (and this will surprise many):

1. SN (170£)
2. LX (190£
(and a combination SN+LX is at 180£).

It seems that the Star Alliance is in pole position (except for TK, but then the detour through IST is a little longer...).
But flights with a stop are always cheaper!
For info the BRu-AGP-BRU part of the flight would cost more than 200£!!

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:
Passenger wrote:there are indeed quite some people who are willing to pay a bit more, if that will be in occordance to their conscience.
Only a bit more ? I should think that no price is too high to put one's conscience at rest.
It's this Irish over-self-confidence and arrogance that will hamper Ryanair’s operations in Denmark. Actually, I gave the example with my above phrase (but you didn’t copy/pasted it): Delhaize recently started selling Fair Trade and Max Havelaar products. Contrary to what you seems to think (given your above reaction), Delhaize sells a lot of them. Why? Because the price difference isn’t big. Of course Delhaize customers won’t buy Fair Trade bananas at 7,5€/kg. But at 2,19€ versus 1,89 for Chiquitas? Lots of clients will by Max Havelaar because they think they have to (= conscience driven) and because it feels good when buying fair trade products. And some Delhaize clients will stick with the 365 white product bananas at 0,99€/kg.

The same principle will apply to many Danish travellers: if they can avoid Ryanair by paying a bit more for SAS flights, they will gladly do so. Why? Because Ryanair and O'Leary have insulted the basics of their society - the Nordic model, in which unions are an important player (by the way, this is the reason why I will never will emigrate to a Scandinavian country…).

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

So I ask you again. Why is Norwegian market leader within your "social Nordic model" and not sas?
Last edited by sean1982 on 17 May 2015, 09:39, edited 2 times in total.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:So I ask you again. Why is Norwegian market leader within your "social Nordic model" and not sas?
So I tell you again: it's this Irish over-self-confidence and arrogance that will hamper Ryanair’s operations in Denmark.

So I tell you again: one of the basics of the "social Nordic model" is that trade unions are allowed. Norwegian accepts them. Ryanair doesn't.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Norwegian is split into several parts. One of them does (and that part is getting smaller and smaller. In fact In a few years it will disappear all together under an Irish aoc) all other don't. So please, believe your own lies (again)

Since when are you Union fan again btw?

And please andré, stop kidding other people. If I do the same exercise for a "random weekend" in July. FR comes at 298£ (with bags and assigned seat - direct flight) and SN ends at 475£ (light&are lax - 1 stop - considerably longer journey time)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:Since when are you Union fan again btw?
I'm not a trade Union fan, at the contrary. Actually, just a few minutes ago, I've just said that I'm no union lover: "...Because Ryanair and O'Leary have insulted the basics of their society - the Nordic model, in which unions are an important player (by the way, this is the reason why I will never emigrate to a Scandinavian country…)...

I don't like the trade unions but I accept that trade unions are a well respected social partner in the Nordic social system. Ryanair doesn't accept this principle. It's this Irish over-selfconficende and arrogance... (see above)

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

People vote with their wallet. Everywhere in the world. If the unions gain them a few euros they will be in favor. If the unions lose them euros they will not be in favor. It's simple.

I did your same excercise with a weekend in sept
CPH-MAD

FR: 1200 DKK
SAS: 5000 DKK

Guess who they'll choose

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

In the meantime : Boeing 737-800 EI-FIK delivered (new) 12 may 2015.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:People vote with their wallet. Everywhere in the world. If the unions gain them a few euros they will be in favor. If the unions lose them euros they will not be in favor. It's simple.

I did your same excercise with a weekend in sept
CPH-MAD
FR: 1200 DKK
SAS: 5000 DKK

Guess who they'll choose
Weekend 11-13 September. Copenhagen-Madrid-Copenhagen. Quick search, no dates adjusted, no flights adjusted, just clicked on the dates the airline system shows first:

Ryanair: 278 Euro: 1.558 DKK + 98 DKK (preseating r/t) + 410 DKK (luggage 15 kg r/t) = 2.066 DKK
SAS : 286 Euro (including 23 kg, including preseating, including friendly smile at the check-in counter)

Guess who they will choose, indeed.

Why the difference with your 1200 versus 5000? Because I've asked "show cheapest fares", so I got "SAS Go". You probably compared with SAS Plus or SAS Plus Full Flex (fares that include inflight meals, fast track, lounge, front seats, 100% refund, no charge for change, ...)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Everybody can play that game ? I'll join in the fun !
I plan to go spend a few hours in Copenhague as soon as Ryanair begins its flight from Charleroi :
- a day return on 28 October with FR will cost me 53,02 euros.
- same with SAS (from Brussels) would set me back 140,15 euros.
:lol:

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

And now, let's add the bus ticket to CRL, the 15 kg bag and the pre-seating, how much do you have now?

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Everybody can play that game ? I'll join in the fun !
I plan to go spend a few hours in Copenhague as soon as Ryanair begins its flight from Charleroi :
- a day return on 28 October with FR will cost me 53,02 euros.
- same with SAS (from Brussels) would set me back 140,15 euros.
:lol:
On a day return on 28 oct (without luggage) Ryanair is the cheapest,but there is only 6 hours or so between arrival and departure back to Brussels. With SAS there is +/- 12 hours between arrival of first flight and departure back to Brussels with last flight of the day,you can take 23 kg luggage with you(if that would be useful for a day trip) and euro-bonuspoints(whatever that may mean for a daytripper from Belgium)
For the record: on the same date ,SN today stands at EUR 99,15 with close to 9 hours between arrival and departure back to Brussels.and some M&M points.
So, all in all you more or less get what you pay for I should say.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

And in all honesty, what's the percentage of same day return leisure trips? For business it is frequent and for leisure you of course have quite some people that like such trips as we have some on this forum. But overall that must be a very small percentage of all travelers. For many carriers it's not worth offering cheap one-day returns to attract a few extra pax, while losing lot's of potential business-oriented revenue.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

airazurxtror wrote:I plan to go spend a few hours in Copenhague as soon as Ryanair begins its flight from Charleroi:
a day return on 28 October with FR will cost me 53,02 euros.
I find it unfair that you, as Ryanair's acting PRO, have to pay for this scouting trip.
Shame on you Dublin!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

This afternoon flight FR6695 from Edinburgh to Malta diverted to London Stansted for a medical emergency.

André
ex Sabena #26567

b-west

Post by b-west »

It is pointless to make these comparisons. Every airline will have cheaper tickets than another one at a certain point and vice versa... You're all behaving like little trolls here. Grow up will ya.

"But he started..." I frankly don't care who started, the fact is that you're all too eager to continue the mudslinging and the childish mine is bigger than yours arguments.