VLM Airlines news 2014-2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

koninckske

Re: VLM Airlines taken over by management, buys SSJ100 aircraft

Post by koninckske »

http://www.pressreader.com/belgium/gaze ... 8/TextView

So VLM admits that ANR-GVA isn't doing well. Since the ticket fares have gone up from 15 February 2016 to minimum 155 EUR One way I think the route will be ended from that date onwards or at least at a reduced frequency.

They say BHX, HAM and SOU are doing better:
BHX numbers for October show 10 PAX per flight. I hope November will show better numbers!
SOU is reported at over 20 PAX per flight. Seems to start getting some increasing loads.
No numbers for HAM flights.

Recent changes to their schedule:
RTM-HAM from 20 weekly to 16 weekly (Monday and Friday now just one flight)
ANR-HAM no changes.
ANR-SOU from 5 weekly to 3 weekly until 15 February 2016, 5 weekly again thereafter.
ANR-GVA some flights cancelled on Monday and Friday until 15 February 2016. From that date only high fares available.
ANR-BHX still 3 weekly.
WAT-LTN no changes. (30 PAX/Flight in Oct 15)
WAT-BHX no changes. (25PAX/ Flight in Oct 15)

And I wonder how much Cityjet pays them for the one or twice daily flight from RTM to LCY.

I like them to stay independent, but it will be difficult. Maybe they should consider some form of cooperation with Etihad (AirBerlin HAM, Etihad Regional GVA) and/or Flybe (SOU AND BHX). Lufthansa would be a better option, but they already have SN in Belgium so they won't.

b720

Post by b720 »

GVA must work, I have taken that flight 4 times from ANR, and all 4 flights never exceeded 20 pax.
.. end of DEC - End of MARCH must be a money maker on that route with PAX going to
ski resorts. SN flights to GVA around X MAS are full! I have the feeling, that even in Antwerp, not many people are aware that those flights exist. Everyone seems to know that Jetairfly flies to BCN from ANR but no one talks about the VLM flights.

b720

Post by b720 »

I think that the flight to GVA is just fantastic in every sense. miles ahead of Easyjet and SN. Everyone I know who has taken that flight says the same. Very easy check in, free luggage check in.. very friendly and full service on board. It has a feel of a private flight, especially when departing from ANR. It will be really a shame if they do not succeed.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

I have a GVA booking for early March, guess it will be cancelled.
Guess they won't and can't reshedule me on sn,lx,kl,wx...
So I will end with only my money back and a new very expensive booking with SN ..
Guess cancelling this route won't show much confidence in booking other VG routes,...
When will they communicate about the cancelling GVA route, one week ahead ?
RIP VG pt2...

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

b720

Post by b720 »

Who said that they are cancelling?

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
b720 wrote:Who said that they are cancelling?
koninckske wrote:So VLM admits that ANR-GVA isn't doing well. Since the ticket fares have gone up from 15 February 2016 to minimum 155 EUR One way I think the route will be ended from that date onwards or at least at a reduced frequency.
Mostly raising prices of the being suspended route is a big indicator..
We saw this in the past ...

Fare return dayticket with SN = +500 euro....
Easyjet = 125 euro

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b720 wrote:Everyone seems to know that Jetairfly flies to BCN from ANR but no one talks about the VLM flights.
But they still advertise a lot:

André
ex Sabena #26567

b720

Post by b720 »

Not true, I could just book on their website
Dep. April 8 return april 10. EUR 207 return.. reasonable.. The sunday return flight is at EUR 56

As for publicity, the cars are on the tarmac and plane, well you see it only after you've actually booked the flight..
The odd tram? That's not enough. Morning radio, bus stops, (SN did that successfully a few years back) ..
newspapers magazine online editions? etc..

AAI

Post by AAI »

i totally agree with b720
they deliver a very nice product to GVA
however, to attract ski- potential, they have to fly in winter on saturdays
a early morning flight to GVA and a late afternoon flight from GVA

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

b720 wrote:Not true, I could just book on their website
Dep. April 8 return april 10. EUR 207 return.. reasonable.. The sunday return flight is at EUR 56

As for publicity, the cars are on the tarmac and plane, well you see it only after you've actually booked the flight..
The odd tram? That's not enough. Morning radio, bus stops, (SN did that successfully a few years back) ..
newspapers magazine online editions? etc..
I've seen that VLM car off-tarmac already. Must admit it was only once, but still.
The licence plate is a big hint it is also used off tarmac ;)

b720

Post by b720 »

they can not fill their planes with 1 ad. posted on 1 car, that is on and off tarmac.
They need to target working people in the Antwerp area, many of whom commute to work, tuned to their favorite radio stations while stuck in traffic. Radio ads. magazines and newspapers (paper and online editions). I have not seen or heard them on any. Their booking engine is not great either, they do not even accept all major credit cards, nor is it possible to check in online. Another issue is with check in at ANR.
One counter is open. It says GVA, HAM, southampton etc. I was there 30 min before my flight to GVA there was a huge line ..mostly HAM bound passengers whose flight leaves a good half an hour after the GVA one. By keeping only one counter open check in was not smooth! Room for improvement, but they urgently need to get the message out there, few people know that they exist. A news real on GvA when they launch a route is not enough!! All in all, the service they provide is 1st class. They need to advertise it, and fast!

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Meeting tomorrow between unions and VLM management is cancelled :o :shock:

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Advertising costs money and it's not easy to advertise such routes as ANR-GVA.
If anything, supercheap fares are a much more efficient way to start a new route than flying 5 pax at medium fares and a few stickers on a handful of cars.

I don't see them holding this situation for very long.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

b720 wrote: Their booking engine is not great either, they do not even accept all major credit cards, nor is it possible to check in online. Another issue is with check in at ANR.
One counter is open. It says GVA, HAM, southampton etc. I was there 30 min before my flight to GVA there was a huge line ..mostly HAM bound passengers whose flight leaves a good half an hour after the GVA one. By keeping only one counter open check in was not smooth!
That sounds like they are still very much locked in the 1990s, not only when it comes to the plane they are using then!? :o

Regardless their way of working, I think it's too hard for them to compete on GVA when you have Brussels Airlines and Easyjet operating there from nearby BRU, because whatever you are after as a passenger (be it low price, above standard comfort like a lounge etc, or high frequencies), VLM is always going to come second to (one of) them. Why would you opt for VLM on the route, especially taking into account what b720 just mentioned?

It may well be they only have 1 niche route where they can really be marked leader on in Belgium: LCY.
Question is: is it enough for an airline to live of? I doubt it!

Therefor I agree with what was said above by flanker: they don't seem to have the sales force nor the market penetration to grow beyond just 1 or 2 routes: they'd better do as BMI is successfully doing and try to become a partner for airlines which are looking for regional planes to operate feeders with.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

With regard to information for the media, their latest press release announced the Southampton flights in June, and from then nothing anymore, bit even the Waterford flights. That media page of their website is empty now:

http://flyvlm.com/media/

If even the press can no longer inform their readers about the airline, the future indeed doesn't look bright...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

There's an official release by VLM management in Dutch which I'll summarize in English here:

- The restart of scheduled operation in 2015 came with plenty of challenges, among them managing the high amount of fixed costs, especially the wages of the aircrews.

- Management has put forward three ways to save money: 1) Cut wages for captains, FO's and cabin crew 2) Partial outsourcing of aircraft maintenance and 3) Complete outsourcing of all logistics. Unions agreed with 2&3, but keep resisting the wage cuts as they are.

- Unions reject any wage cut that doesn't involve a wage reduction for each and every employee. Management cannot accept such a proposal and points are that the wages of the aircrews are among the highest within the company and they're the only group of employees that has enjoyed a yearly pay rise since 2008.

- Shareholders have invested heavily in the company for the past year but are confronted with some of the same challenges other airlines face.

- The company has seriously cut costs this year but is disappointed that such efforts could be fruitless if a deal cannot be reached on aircrew wages. VLM will be faced with a loss in 2015 due to the start up of scheduled operations, but a solid business plan can return the company to a positive result in 2016.

- Management remains open to talks with the unions but points out that a failure to reduce the wages will mean other options will have to be considered to cut costs.
Last edited by Avnu on 10 Dec 2015, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

If i all read this, it is not looking too good. I give them max 2 years.

Like previous mentioned, i don't see any advertising. They seem to struggle themselves to position the company on the market, to give them an identity. I am also wondering what the perception is of the public knowing VLM. Is it described as that dull company with their old aircraft operating in Antwerp??

Many questions to solve

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

don't see any advertising.
They are quite active on Twitter and giving regularly some free tickets through the airports they are serving,at least in UK and Ireland.
Example: participation Christmas competition on Southampton airport website

http://www.southamptonairport.com/christmas/

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Also VLM prohibits 'hoverboards' :
Dec. 18, 2015 – As a precaution to ensure the safety of our passengers, VLM Airlines has therefore decided to prohibit the carriage of all self-balancing devices, such as hoverboards, airboards, oxboards, e-skates, waveboards, Urunners etc. This precaution will take effect immediately.
Source: http://flyvlm.com/baggage/

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

Expect an announcement of their new German operations later this week, maybe even as early as this afternoon.