VLM Airlines news 2014-2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cathay belgium

Re: VLM Airlines taken over by management, buys SSJ100 aircraft

Post by cathay belgium »

HI,

Anybody here which knoWs of VLM here is also near the cliff?
Are they doing serious business here or are they here also running high red digits?
Anyone info about LF to GVA ?

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

LJ

Post by LJ »

cathay belgium wrote:HI,

Anybody here which knoWs of VLM here is also near the cliff?
Are they doing serious business here or are they here also running high red digits?
Anyone info about LF to GVA ?

CXB
The "Telegraaf" article quotes the operational manager from VLM saying that the outlook looks "rosy" when the unions agree with the cut. Moreover, they don't have their Dutch subsidiary anymore (which will mean less cash needed). Probably too much fuss about nothing.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

LJ wrote:
cathay belgium wrote:The "Telegraaf" article quotes the operational manager from VLM saying that the outlook looks "rosy" when the unions agree with the cut. Moreover, they don't have their Dutch subsidiary anymore (which will mean less cash needed). Probably too much fuss about nothing.
That's a huge IF, knowing how eager Belgian workers are to strike instead of accepting needed cuts. Ppl even went on strike in the last days of Sabena. So it does seem like a serious problem.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

Not sure the following was already mentioned here;
VLM introduced a frequent flyer card called 'PRO PASS' . It entitles the passenger to make six return flights for a fixed sum,to be paid in advance.
Price is EUR 1499 for six returnflights . Waterford is getting special treatment ,it seems . There the price is EUR 898 only.
What it makes so interesting imo is that it is transferable to familymembers or other business colleagues + 23 kg luggage + fast check in.
On the other hand there some restrictions aswell (see below)

Restrictions :
* Pro Pass purchase and reservation must be at least 14 days in advance
• Upgrade not permitted
• Pro Pass is not refundable
• 1 Change allowed prior departure (€50 fee will be charged extra)
• flyVLM flights (VG) only
• Return flights only
• No name change nor route change
• No-show tickets can’t be re-used
• Seats are subject to availability of dedicated booking class
• Booking only via call center or [email protected]

I wonder how succesfull this type of FF program can be..Anyone an idea of similar programs elsewhere in te airlineindustry?

Source: http://flyvlm.com/booking/

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

If you write to VLM, you never get an answer.
Bad public relations.

b720

Post by b720 »

Seems they lack focus at VLM. First the LGG fiasco, and now a 737 charter from BRU? I think that they should concentrate on their ANR operations. GVA must be doing well, any one with news on their other routes from ANR? One thing for sure, everyone I know (myself included) commends their excellent in flight service. They are technologically challenged though. Their booking engine does not accept all major credit cards. Their flights don't appear on Expedia. One can not check in online..

b720

Post by b720 »

I also think that they should copy the SN model concerning their passes.. Make it cheaper and per destination.. SN sells a pass BRU-GVA 6 x within 3 months for EUR 699 and a bit less than EUR 1000 within 6 months..

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Technologically challenged... new word. :lol:
In the mid-term, VG have no choice but to become a feeder airline for SN or other airlines (plenty of airlines in BRU who can use feeding at the BRU end).
Out of ANR they have no chance of succeeding unless they have a lot of funds or as a contractor for tour operators like JAF.
Their planned SSJ operation is perfect to replace SN's Avro RJ100's on some routes, while taking over other wetleases and trying out new regional destinations... a bit like what DAT was to Sabena.

And then who knows, if someday SN doesn't survive, they can start back all over from VG again and repeat the history.

Avroflyer

Post by Avroflyer »

Flanker2 wrote:Technologically challenged... new word. :lol:
In the mid-term, VG have no choice but to become a feeder airline for SN or other airlines (plenty of airlines in BRU who can use feeding at the BRU end).
Out of ANR they have no chance of succeeding unless they have a lot of funds or as a contractor for tour operators like JAF.
Their planned SSJ operation is perfect to replace SN's Avro RJ100's on some routes, while taking over other wetleases and trying out new regional destinations... a bit like what DAT was to Sabena.

And then who knows, if someday SN doesn't survive, they can start back all over from VG again and repeat the history.
I fully agree with you (except for the last bit haha)

I see a very nice role for VG as a feeder for SN especially on the RJ routes with the SSJ and why not LCY with the F50 for example.
For the costumers it would also be a plus since the FlyBe and BMI crews only speak english while in my opinion guests expect crew also to be able to talk Dutch and French when flying SN.

CRJ 900

Post by CRJ 900 »

b720 wrote:Seems they lack focus at VLM. First the LGG fiasco, and now a 737 charter from BRU? I think that they should concentrate on their ANR operations. GVA must be doing well, any one with news on their other routes from ANR? One thing for sure, everyone I know (myself included) commends their excellent in flight service. They are technologically challenged though. Their booking engine does not accept all major credit cards. Their flights don't appear on Expedia. One can not check in online..
As mentioned earlier in 'abnormalities BRU-ANR-OST-LGG-CRL' topic, LF on 3 Tuesday evening flights this week:
Departure: GVA 5pax (10% LF), LCY 80% LF, HAM 50%. Really amazed by the low LF on GVA. Hope it is not always like that.
Arrival of SOU estimated also around 40 - 50%
On our HAM flight quite a lot of transfer pax from the SOU flight.
Return HAM on Wednesday LF +/- 60%
Rgds,
CRJ 900

b720

Post by b720 »

I do agree that they should work with SN. Feeder at BRU and or codeshare, even from ANR. as mentioned above. They code shared the GVA run with SABENA in the old days. I'm not sure that they have deep pockets, working with SN is probably their only option. Similar to Helvetic at ZRH. Unless they find a buyer with lots of cash. EY/DARWIN.. Etihad Regional Belgium???

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

As if SN had deep pockets...

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

I'm sorry if I/we hurt your pride jan, but let's face it, SN has an established network, running revenues, a customer base, a hub. The pockets aren't deep but the investments have already been made and it's a running airline.
This can't be said of the current state of affairs at VG.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

No worries about my feelings, thank you, let alone my pride. But I've said it before and I'll state it again: whoever has such a clear image of the current situation and opportunities should get involved with VLM management. There is obviously a need for such people, if you are to be believed. What good only speculating on some forum? Go for the real thing! But anyone not familiar with the inner rooms would do better to wait and see. Above all, nobody here knows how deep VLM's pockets are, or how much confidence the bankers have in them. All the rest is idle useless speculation.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:All the rest is idle useless speculation.
That's 99% of the internet in a nutshell you're describing there. :D

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

We can wait and see as you say, but what do you expect to come out of it?
I think that the writing is already in the walls, there are only so many variables that they can work with.
Sure, they are being creative and all, but look at the network they are working with.

Good if they can afford to try around what works and what doesn't.
But if they have to ask the staff to take cuts, can they really afoord that much?

I think that everyone wishes the best for VG but what we're seeing doesn't really inspire confidence.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Around noon today, VLM Airlines switches over to a new payment system on its website. It may occur that bookings can't be made for a short period of time.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

According to De Tijd, VLM is on the brink of bankruptcy in Belgium too after a cost saving program got rejected by 75% of staff in a referendum today.
Unions say management has no clear strategy and can not explain how any of the cost savings on the table would make the airline profitable in the absence of a good business plan; management admit errors were made in the past but refuses to comment on the deadlocked situation itself.
http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/transport ... 1449512506
Is the end near for VLM?

koninckske

Post by koninckske »

There is no mention of VLM Airlines Belgium being close to brankruptcy in the article of detijd.be

The article only states that the deal offered by the management was rejected by the staff. Management not taking a paycut, but Capts 17%, FOs 10%, FAs 5% and no cut for groundstaff. Union demands an equal salary reduction.

On other sites you will find that fleet is being reduced to 8 Fokker 50s and that half the staff from VLM Airlines Netherlands is being offered a job in ANR. (I guess this concerns pilots only) I don't think a company about to close the doors would offer new jobs to former staff.

One of their biggest problems it the mess of the booking engine on the website... certain flights not bookable, others only at the highest fares (low fare available on other websites) and if I can see that why not someone in VLM. Tried to mail them, but their website bounces all emails... wonderfull...

Many mistakes have been made, but forget what has happened before. Learn from the mistakes, start from zero, start building VLM again with what is left and making a profit ... they have many charters, maybe some profitable routes... 8 airplanes might be enough to start building again without draining cash

If just the unions and management could overcome their differences before they kill another Belgian airline.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

koninckske wrote:There is no mention of VLM Airlines Belgium being close to brankruptcy in the article of detijd.be
It was the title itself, but it got changed to the current title it seems.
However, the full URL still displays the old one, at least on my computer?

Thanks for providing a detailed summary of the article, btw.
I couldn't find the time to do that myself.