VLM Airlines news 2014-2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

an-148

Re: VLM Airlines taken over by management, buys SSJ100 aircraft

Post by an-148 »

or an-148 / 158 most probably much cheaper and easyer to fill (85/97 pax) ......... but again: same lessor !!

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Didymus wrote:According to De Tijd, the deal for the new Sukhoi is about to burst: "It's almost certain that the basic agreement between leasing company Ilyushin Finance and VLM will be cancelled."
Oops, not extactly the kind of news you want to have breaking on the day you also announce new initiatives. The headline of the article in De Tijd is all about the jet which isn't coming: in combination with the correct remark by its author it will now take way more than 2 hours to go somewhere (and that's a kind estiamate in fact), it's to be called a small PR disaster.

I guess the Russian bank which was going to come up with the financing for the long term export lease agreement isn't able to do so any longer, given the sad financial situation of the Russian banking system?
Word has it the US are studying to start locking them out of the international transaction system, similar to Iran for instance, as further sanctions are prepared against Putin. We at work have already cut customer credit lines for Russian companies short too, because of the risk.

As to the routes themselves:
I think the French routes will do well (both cities are very popular upscale tourist destinations with -not only French speaking- Belgians), but the Italian ones, I am not so sure; Venice can be reached very easily and cheaply from Brussels, Charleroi and of course Dusseldorf (both germanwings and Air Berlin), so its hard to see what they want to compete on with all those: price? Schedule? Convenience? I'd say it's 3 times an uphill battle. The Ligurian coast (say Genoa) might have been a safer bet for them, in my view, by going mass competition a bit out of the way all while offering a more comfortable and more direct alternative to an upscale public.

Another question: I am sure there's a practical reason, but why do they always start the day so late? 8.30! At most airlines, the first flight of the day is then already over and done with!
I can't count the number of times I arrived in ZRH by that time. :)

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

So what are the options for VLM if the Sukhoi deal is really cancelled? What other types of aircraft were they looking at? I guess this will definitely delay the arrival of new aircraft... :(

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Boavida wrote:So what are the options for VLM if the Sukhoi deal is really cancelled? What other types of aircraft were they looking at? I guess this will definitely delay the arrival of new aircraft... :(
The E-jets was, if I remember well, the other big candidate.

AAI

Post by AAI »

it's a pitty, they don't fly ANR NCE
the HAM plane, with a morning and evening flight, is unused between 10.35 and 18.30 hrs
so in that time they can fly to NCE also
20 years ago there was a EIN ANR NCE flight from Denim Air with the F50.

Konus

Post by Konus »

jan_olieslagers wrote:No need to work for them to see some outdated info there!

OO-VLF flew the inaugural to Geneve on 26 jan
OO-VLJ CityJet scheme was removed early feb, to be repainted as VLM soon
OO-VLO is in storage at EBAW
OO-VLP soon to get painted as Vizion Air
OO-VLS is on rental to Aurigny, not sure for how long, though

so obviously none of these are still operating for CityJet.

(info mostly from the excellent BCARG newsletter)
OO-VLR is also stored in EBAW since mid dec14

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

How about some A319 for VLM?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Yes! great idea! Go and present them, I'm sure you will get a warm welcome. Only you shouldn't be mean and offer just one or two - three should be the minimum for a stable solid fleet expansion.

saratoga

Post by saratoga »

I would say an A318. But then again i am sure they already invested every option available on the market, they are not stupid. But i am afraid that the old boring F50 will stay for another loooooooong time.

White Light

Post by White Light »

For those who had not realised, what the new VLM managment were looking for, due to scarce money, is a cheap (reliable) modern aircraft. The SSJ seemed to be the right decision with the manufacturer wanting to sell or lease at very favourable conditions to become more visible in Western Europe. Probably the tensions and sanctions against Russia have now made this venture impossible. Im' afraid VLM has not got the financial means nor a strong enough business plan to acquire or less Airbuses. So, what's left ? The MRJ ?

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

I guess the Fokker 70/100 could maybe be a good candidate for the time being. Can that type operate from Antwerp economically?

White Light

Post by White Light »

I absolutely don't want to offend you, but honestly, who still wants to fly one of the most uncomfortable "old" generation aircraft ? KL and OS want to get rid of them. Unless VLM wants to become a copy cat of SN = flying second hand aircraft needing more maintanance and less fuel efficient. Not the best way to lasting success.

Avroflyer

Post by Avroflyer »

White Light wrote:I absolutely don't want to offend you, but honestly, who still wants to fly one of the most uncomfortable "old" generation aircraft ? KL and OS want to get rid of them. Unless VLM wants to become a copy cat of SN = flying second hand aircraft needing more maintanance and less fuel efficient. Not the best way to lasting success.
Hmmm in what way does SN operate second hand aircraft needing more maintenance and less fuel efficient?

Our airbusses don't need more maintenance than Airbusses at any other company nor are they less fuel efficient than any other 319/320 or 330 flying the skies so get your facts straight before making such statements ;)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Avroflyer wrote: in what way does SN operate second hand aircraft needing more maintenance and less fuel efficient?
http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/c ... fleet.aspx

Some of our destinations in Europe are served by Avro RJ100 aircrafts. Brussels Airlines has about 12 Avro RJ100 at its disposal.

Perhaps not second-hand but certainly gas-guzzling.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Avroflyer

Post by Avroflyer »

airazurxtror wrote:
Avroflyer wrote: in what way does SN operate second hand aircraft needing more maintenance and less fuel efficient?
http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/c ... fleet.aspx

Some of our destinations in Europe are served by Avro RJ100 aircrafts. Brussels Airlines has about 12 Avro RJ100 at its disposal.

Perhaps not second-hand but certainly gas-guzzling.
Yeah indeed I'm very aware they still fly so you've certainly got a point :) they aren't as fuel efficient and get more and more expensive to maintain hence why SN is retiring them ;)

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

White Light wrote:I absolutely don't want to offend you, but honestly, who still wants to fly one of the most uncomfortable "old" generation aircraft ?
True.

If VLM want to reintroduce itself as a modern airline, it needs new aircraft. The old and slow F50 have had their time...

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

If VLM want to reintroduce itself as a modern airline, it needs new aircraft. The old and slow F50 have had their time...
Nice. Everybody would like to see them operate new aircraft of course. But these planes need to be affordable and available. And I was specificaly referring to the cancelled SSj100 deal ,not to a possible F50 replacement.
The longer sectors VLM is going to introduce from LGG are probably better flown by Jet equipment.
As far as I can see the F70/F100's are available within weeks and probably also more affordable than new jets which would take them much longer to obtain and with higher leasing costs. But,it should be possible to operate the F70/F100 also from ANR ,for possible other medium range routes VLM might be exploring. Not sure the runway lenght in ANR is long enough to allow full load F70/F100 operations and that's why I raised the question.Can someone shed some light on the runway field lenght required for this type of planes in normal conditions?

btw, I have flown (as a PAX) F70 ,ARJ's,E-195 ,ERJ, ,F-50,Dash400 and I don't think the F70 is 'the most uncomfortable plane of it's generation'.It's still a good usable plane and could help in bridging the gap until VLM has the necessary customer base and financing possibilities for 'new' jets.

teach

Post by teach »

airazurxtror wrote: http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-be/c ... fleet.aspx

They actually write 'aircrafts' on the official SN website? Damn. You'd think these pages would get proofread by a native speaker. Guess not.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Fokker 50 A/C is quite a slow A/C, but I'm sure that bringing the connectivity on board would be a serious plus for the business market.
I'm not sure if connectivity has already been installed on such a old A/C type and if the EMI test have already been performed on F50, but that would be a nice project (only Wifi not GSM, of course).

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Found some good news on Airliners.net forum:
The deal is still a go, it seems VEB (which is the bank Ilyushin Finance uses for its leasing operations) had some issues with financing, but it is all solved now. They also announce the signing of new contracts in Eastern Europe and Asia.

BTW, VLM's first SSJ100LR is scheduled to perform its first flight this week.

(Link in Russian)
http://1prime.ru/companies/20150228/803583994.html
I hope this information is reliable...