VLM Airlines news 2014-2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

DIBO

Re: VLM Airlines bought by management, buys SSJ100 aircraft

Post by DIBO »

Inquirer wrote:... how far car this plane fly from Antwerp's airport?
That's indeed the big question...not yet many people around with the exact performance charts, I would imagine. But that will probably change quickly. :)

Staying within short range, will Sukhoi/Alenia still undertake the certification effort for LCY?? They had some intentions in view of Cityjet's possible fleet renewal...

Stealthlover

Post by Stealthlover »

There is a Sukhoi Superjet service center in Venice Italy
Maintenance support/ spares are also distributed from Italy
So not really a problem with embargo's.

IL-2

Post by IL-2 »

I for one just hope our engineers will go on a Superjet 100 course very soon. Only then I'll be sure of a promising future for everyone...

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

And engine spares come from Melun (just besides Paris)

A318

Post by A318 »

Here a nice overview from the performance of the basic and the LR version out of Paris.
performance.jpg
A Whole Different Animal

A318

Post by A318 »

Like I said, how Russian is the Sukhoi Superjet 100 actually:
technology.jpg
A Whole Different Animal

Avnu

Post by Avnu »

DIBO wrote:Staying within short range, will Sukhoi/Alenia still undertake the certification effort for LCY?? They had some intentions in view of Cityjet's possible fleet renewal...
Looks like they will, although VLM doesn't plan to operate the SSJ on the LCY route:
One airport to which VLM is not currently expecting to operate the aircraft is London City, but the contingency is there. “Part of the lease agreement is to include the capability to operate the aircraft into London City, but under current planning we’re unlikely to fly it there,” he confirmed.
(From http://www.hmgaerospace.com/news/show/7751)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Interesting in the above mentioned article:

“We’re looking at a couple of options for the configuration, but it’s likely to be around 12-14 business class and 74 economy class.”

So it looks like the plane will have 86 or 88 seats which should make it a very confortable plane.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

With that kind of lay out, there are few destinations which are able to make good use of it from Antwerp.
My bets are for Tel Aviv if the plane can make it there given the short runway in Antwerp, plus Geneva and Zurich, but maybe they will surprise us once again, who knows.
Aviation in Belgium needn't always be dull, isn't it? :)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

About possible routes:
"The routes VLM will operate with the SSJ100s are to be announced later, but Blair remarked that “anywhere within 4,500 km of Antwerp” was possible."
So what are the most logical routes for VLM withing the 4,500km limit?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I read in the link provided above they will start with a shorter range because the plane isn't certified for more, so I suppose that immediately kills my first bet, tel aviv? Luckily I didn't put any money on it. :D
Anyway, before I lose any more money by missing my flight, I'm off.
Good evening.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Inquirer wrote:I read in the link provided above they will start with a shorter range because the plane isn't certified for more, so I suppose that immediately kills my first bet, tel aviv? Luckily I didn't put any money on it. :D
Anyway, before I lose any more money by missing my flight, I'm off.
Good evening.
Oh yes forgot to mention that. The first two SSJ's will be the B (base) version as the LR version didn't recieve its EASA certification yet, which is expected by the end of the 2015 summer season. The two first aircraft will be transformed to LR versions with some adjustments (such as the fuel tanks and winglets) afterwards. So the first 2-3 routes they talk about for summer 2015 must be between the 3,000km limit.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Must say I'm very surprised! I'm also wondering how the public will react, flying a Russian-built plane...

Btw, didn't one of those SSJ100 crash during a demonstration flight a few years ago? :?

Would have loved to see VLM going for the B737 :cry:

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Boavida wrote:Must say I'm very surprised! I'm also wondering how the public will react, flying a Russian-built plane...

Btw, didn't one of those SSJ100 crash during a demonstration flight a few years ago? :?
I think it's about time that people get used to the idea of flying in a non-western built aircraft... Most of the crashes with these aircraft are caused by human error or lack of maintenance anyway, and you can't compare aircraft like the old Tupolev's and Ilushin's with the current generation of aircraft such as the SSJ (most of it's critical parts are western built anyway).

That crash was caused by pilot error, the collision avoidance system was working as it should have been working, but the crew ignored them for some reason (possibly distracted by the potential customer on board the aircraft). Airbus crashed an A330 with an Alitalia sales team as well, still Alitalia is flying the A330 now (although in those years they went for the 777).

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hi

@IL-2 : thanks very much for thinking of us and that's very nicely said indeed, but so so true.
Indeed as being an VLM tech employee I have 2 feelings about this.
My hearth as passionate aviation enthousiast can't cry it out more of joy ... but on the other side I do not have to many reasons to jump around in joy (yet) because ... like you said, so far there hasn't been a single indication that it is the current tech-support that will be doing maintenance on these SSJ's. I can only hope that the very near future can bring clarity in that, and fingers crossed it will turn out positive, though I do not dare to put my hopes on that yet. For only one thing is sure for now, as long as we have the F50 at least we will have a job which we will be able to continue with the same passion as otherwise.

Either way, looking forward to see one of those nicely looking SSJ's at ANR, hopefully in the good old VLM blue :)

Greets,

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

This is good news for VLM if it all comes off. But at risk of starting something... it does surprise me that they didn't go for the nextgen Q400, that would be a logical progression. We see now wth Flybe trying to offload their Embraers as operating them profitably seems tough in the small fleet short haul market. Also I wouldn't imagine they'd have any load restrictions on departure from Antwerp.

Anyway as I said, good news for VLM they seem to have turned a corner lets's see if it all happens.

Rgds,
Speedy

air belgium

Post by air belgium »

Will the SSJ100 be in het blue colours of VLM or in the white colours of the fokker 50? Thanks.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

air belgium wrote:Will the SSJ100 be in het blue colours of VLM or in the white colours of the fokker 50? Thanks.
The picture that was released (see one of the posts above) shows a nice blue. For me it might stay like this!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

So what's the difference between the standard SSJ100 and SSJ100-LR (Long Range)? Is the LR-version bigger?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

During the recent VLM activities, one name came constantly forward: Arthur White, its CEO. Who is that Arthur White, whom nobody seemed to know before last week?

I found his resume on LinkedIn (excerpts):
3c0cff1.jpg
3c0cff1.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
Studied aviation at City University London

Qualifications: Degree Air Transport Management, MSc Safety Management, Airline Transport Pilots Licence (TRI/TRE), DPWN University International Business Leadership Programme.

For the past 28 years I have been involved in the Air Transport Industry as a Pilot, Instructor, Examiner, Manager, and Director. The experience gained gives me a strong technical grounding in aviation technical matters, IT, management, safety, flight operations, training, JAA regulations and business development.

Professional experience:
Captain Air2000: 1991-1995
Flight Safety Manager JMC Airline 1995-2000
Chief Pilot Boeing 757 DHL Airlines 2000-2005
Director of Operation EAT DHL Airlines 2005-2009
Managing Director EAT DHL Airlines 2009-2010
Director of Operations Avient 2010-2012
Managing Director White Mountain Aviation (consultancy) 2010-present
Managing Director VLM Airlines 2012-present
CEO and majority shareholder VLM Airlines October 2014-present

An impressive resume!
André