Trivia 2014 (miscellaneous news)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Trivia 2014 (miscellaneous news)

Post by sn26567 »

I have created this new topic to put little titbits of information that would not justify opening a whole detailed topic per se.

Examples: famous people travelling by air (with pictures), creation of a new airline in a remote country, bankruptcy and disappearance of an little known airline, opening or (temporary) closure of an airport, new livery for an airline, etc.

My first contribution to this topic: This morning Pope Francis took an Alitalia plane to travel to Tirana in Albania.

André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Re: Miscellaneous news

Post by jan_olieslagers »

A bit more creativity, perhaps? At the least, this thread could be called "Trivia". But why not "Celebrities take to the skies" or even "Heard on the grapevine" or "Blue Sky Gossip" ?

Not that this is the kind of "information" I am looking out for, not by a long way. But if you do decide to have it, at least you should do so in a proper way.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

jan_olieslagers wrote:A bit more creativity, perhaps? At the least, this thread could be called "Trivia". But why not "Celebrities take to the skies" or even "Heard on the grapevine" or "Blue Sky Gossip"? Not that this is the kind of "information" I am looking out for, not by a long way. But if you do decide to have it, at least you should do so in a proper way.
Feel free to leave this site and start a website of your own then.

PYX

Post by PYX »

jan_olieslagers wrote:A bit more creativity, perhaps? At the least, this thread could be called "Trivia". But why not "Celebrities take to the skies" or even "Heard on the grapevine" or "Blue Sky Gossip" ?

Not that this is the kind of "information" I am looking out for, not by a long way. But if you do decide to have it, at least you should do so in a proper way.
Everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours, but "Miscellaneous News" seems a fitting title to me. Just my opinion. :)

Squelsh

Google to Build Airport and City?

Post by Squelsh »

Larry Page wants a Google 2.0 that will build cities and airports, report says
As if self-driving cars, balloon-carried internet, or the eradication of death weren’t ambitious enough projects, Google CEO Larry Page has apparently been working behind the scenes to set up even bolder tasks for his company.

The Information reports that Page started up a Google 2.0 project inside the company a year ago to look at the big challenges facing humanity and the ways Google can overcome them. Among the grand-scale plans discussed were Page’s desire to build a more efficient airport as well as a model city.

To progress these ideas to fruition, the Google chief has also apparently proposed a second research and development lab, called Google Y, to focus on even longer-term programs that the current Google X, which looks to support future technology and is headed up by his close ally Sergey Brin.
Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/18/63752 ... d-airports
September 18, 2014 01:41 am

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

PYX wrote:Everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to yours, but "Miscellaneous News" seems a fitting title to me. Just my opinion.
Agree - everyone may have his/her own opinion. However, for posts from webmaster or moderators, this applies:

Forum rules - Inappropriate behaviour: negative remarks about Luchtzak.be or one of the members of the webteam are not allowed, contact webmaster Luchtzak via private message if you like to make personal remarks.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Let's cool down and keep quiet. No harm done. And Trivia seems a good title to me; followed by "miscellaneous news" to explain what it means!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Squelsh

Re: Trivia : Miscellaneous news

Post by Squelsh »

Tiny Humanoid Robot Learning to Fly Real Airplanes

The little robot in the picture above is a PIBOT, a small, very low-cost humanoid (actually a Bioloid Premium from Robotis). It’s been slightly modified to be able to work the controls of a scaled-down, simulated aircraft cockpit, as in the pic above. PIBOT is able to identify and use all of the buttons and switches and stuff that you’d find in the cockpit of a normal light aircraft designed for humans…

Most of the inputs come from the simulator itself (roll, pitch, yaw, airspeed, GPS location), although the robot does use vision for some things, like identifying the runway using edge detection. And this is all it takes, according to the researchers, who state that: “PIBOT can satisfy the various requirements specified in the flying handbook by the Federal Aviation Administration.”

Source: http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robo ... -airplanes
18 Sep 2014 | 17:47 GMT

jan_olieslagers

@Passenger & PYX: André is obviously better than the two of you to take a message for what it is worth - he obviously saw the greasy "Clin d'oeil" that I thought obvious even without using any emoticons. Don't take all of this so serious!

BTW the "trivia" category was once popular on Wikipedia, but is less and less in vogue there - wonder why?

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

As widely known, Brussels Airlines takes great pride in being a truly Belgian airline, which means they not only fly from Belgium, but also employ predominantly Belgian crew.

Of course, this means there are many native Dutch and French speaking crew members to be found on board, but something not very much known is there are also a significant number of native German speaking crew members.

Recently, the Germanophone Belgian public broadcast BRF made a documentary about Brussels Airlines' Head of Cabin Crew, which is a native German speaker herself.

You can watch it here: http://brf.be/gesellschaft/landundleute/798046/

PYX

Post by PYX »

jan_olieslagers wrote:@Passenger & PYX: André is obviously better than the two of you to take a message for what it is worth - ...
And here I thought I was being diplomatic in response to your disagreeable, at best, original post. :)

You said, "...at least you should do so in a proper way."

That is quite offensive. Apparently English is not your first language?

jan_olieslagers

It isn't indeed - but I do have ELP level 6 on my pilot's license.
Again, my whole reply was a big "tongue in cheek" and I regret that this wasn't sufficiently obvious.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Inflight meals at home.

If this would be posted on 1st april, many would say haha. But a German online store really delivers airline meals at home (with more choice then just chicken or beef):

DE:
https://www.allyouneed.com/airfoodone

EN:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/22/trave ... index.html

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Schiphol - Amsterdam Airport. During a huge control on the alcohol limit on Monday, 560 crew members have been tested. One female cabin crew member was caught with 1 promil alcohol (0,1/1000), exactly the double of the limit for car drivers in the Netherlands and Belgium. She had to pay a fine of 5.000 Euro's. Amsterdam airport and the Dutch police refused to say for which airline she was working (I assume she's fired indeed).

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/2311 ... akt__.html

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

Passenger wrote: 1 promil alcohol (0,1/1000)
1 promille = 1/1000
0,1/1000 = 1/10.000

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If Etihad supports Manchester City FC with the livery of A6-EYE (on which I had the pleasure to fly), Qatar Airways is supporting FC Barcelona on A7-BAE:

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Britney Spears arrived in Warsaw on a private Dornier 328 Jet today, in order to promote her lingerie collection.

André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Belgian AAIU - incident/accident reports

Whilst most national aviation safety boards regularly publish reports about incidents, accidents and crashes, the Belgian AAIU isn't: there is no report online for 2014, and just one for 2013:

NL:
http://www.mobilit.belgium.be/nl/luchtv ... verslagen/

FR:
http://www.mobilit.belgium.be/fr/transp ... s_enquete/

Has the link moved?

Or is there a reason why the Belgian AAIU remains silent?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Arke 787-8 damaged by loading truck at Curacao

OR-364 from Curacao to Amsterdam, Dreamliner PH-TFK, is delayed from 08h05 Thursday till 04h43 Friday. According to Arke, the damage was minimal but inspection needed lots of time.

Source:
http://www.rtvnh.nl/nieuws/151462/Dream ... aangereden

News on Arke's 787 delivery:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53463

jan_olieslagers

Or is there a reason why the Belgian AAIU remains silent?
They work slowly, very slowly. Not much slower than in other countries, though. In most cases they take a bit more than a year to publish their report.

Also, it does seem to me that we are seeing less accidents grave enough to require/justify formal examination (ought perhaps to analyse the well-known accident sites for confirmation). Which is just as well...