BRU Summer 2015: latest news, routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Re: BRU Summer 2015: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by nordikcam »

RoMax wrote:
But it was the same this summer, how many 'new' destinations did they launch in Southern Europe this summer? 8 or something (I thought there were 10 new routes, with WAW and KRK in Poland included)? Most of them were largelly filled by Club Med and/or Thomas Cook(?) anyway. Just with SN selling their own tickets to fill up the aircraft even more.
They dropped Montpellier I guess. Which schedule for LED ?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

SN 2837 BRU-LED 1 3 5 0925 1320
SN 2838 LED-BRU 1 3 5 1400 1610
Citybird
The flying dream

SN1234

Post by SN1234 »

Isn't a 2 daily flight for Brussel s Airlines to Billund not too much?

And 3 weekly for LED Isn't that much I find!

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

I am very happy with Dubrovnik and St Petersburg. Always wanted to visit those cities...
I wonder if they will continue flying to the destinations they launched last summer...

These destinations were Ajaccio, Athens, Bari, Bastia, Cagliari, Figari, Krakow, Malta, Montpellier, Sevilla. It is not clear to me if the destinations not mentioned in today's press release will be served again next summer...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

OO-ITR wrote: I am very happy with Dubrovnik and St Petersburg. Always wanted to visit those cities...
I wonder if they will continue flying to the destinations they launched last summer...

These destinations were Ajaccio, Athens, Bari, Bastia, Cagliari, Figari, Krakow, Malta, Montpellier, Sevilla. It is not clear to me if the destinations not mentioned in today's press release will be served again next summer...
In the timetable of SN for next summer Montpellier, Cagliari and Bari do not appear...Malta and Sevilla see. to be increased. I guess Bastia Ajaccio and Figari will continue too as Athens and Krakow...

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

SN1234 wrote:Isn't a 2 daily flight for Brussel s Airlines to Billund not too much?

maybe they see lots of connection potential, because BA/ Sun Air is using small planes even the J31 in the morning so Hopefully they can fill up the Q400 and maybe they're taking over from BA ...
Citybird
The flying dream

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

CTBke wrote:
SN1234 wrote:Isn't a 2 daily flight for Brussel s Airlines to Billund not too much?

maybe they see lots of connection potential, because BA/ Sun Air is using small planes even the J31 in the morning so Hopefully they can fill up the Q400 and maybe they're taking over from BA ...
BA often has extremely high prices on this route, so I assume they are 'using' their monopoly. SN also has the advantage, compared to BA, that it is able to offer a large portion of connections at BRU. So the combination of OD business market and tourism market, as well as transfers, could fill up these aircraft. At least, let's hope so, it's a nice addition to the Nordic offer in my opinion.

Billund, St Petersburg, Riga, Warsaw and Krakow that returned...some nice additions to SN's offer to the north/northeast.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

As a general remark, airlines are always prone to announce new destinations, but they almost always forget to tell about abandoned destinations.

Thank you for the perspicacious readers who have made the comparison of SN's new destinations of last summer and the new ones of next summer.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Icelandair will offer 5 flights per week to Reykjavik in the summer of 2015 up from 4 flights per week last summer.
André
ex Sabena #26567

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

Good to see these new routes.

Question: how many seats will these destinations represent for S15?

From the (re-)launched routes this year
Ajaccio, Athens, Bari, Bastia, Cagliari, Figari, Krakow, Malta, Montpellier, Sevilla, Warsaw

Following are maintained throughout the year or re-launched during the summer months:
Athens, Krakow, Malta, Sevilla, Warsaw (5 out 11)

I am not sure the other Corsica routes (3!) will be kept (maybe only as charters). I had already the impression Montpellier and Bari were not doing very well (at least they were not mentioned by SN when they stated that the new routes were doing well and when they provided the monthly figures). It is a pity I would have loved to go the Bari area one day ...

I think from the new list:
Billund, St Petersburg, Dubrovnik, Calvi, Lourdes and Olbia

Calvi allows to still serve Corsica and Olbia to do the same on Sardegna.
Billund and St Petrsburg have the potential to become year-around destinations.
I think Dubrovnik and Lourdes are tests. They might be kept in summer 2016 or replaced by other tourist destinations.

In any case, a smart move again and would love to go to either (well in fact all of them but I need to set priorities :D ) Olbia, Dubrovnik or St Petersburg ...

Cheers,
Danny

eurojet

Post by eurojet »

Still no Lux

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

eurojet wrote:Still no Lux
I do not really understand why there no flight between BRU and LUX...LG maybe...but SN !
Someone can explain me ;)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

DannyVDB wrote: I am not sure the other Corsica routes (3!) will be kept (maybe only as charters). I had already the impression Montpellier and Bari were not doing very well (at least they were not mentioned by SN when they stated that the new routes were doing well and when they provided the monthly figures). It is a pity I would have loved to go the Bari area one day ...
When looking at the booking engine, I can't see Bari, Cagliari and Montpellier anymore, but the 3 Corsican destinations of last year are still present, tough I can't find actual flights, I only get this notification (in this case for Ajaccio):
"Please note that we operate flights to Ajaccio during summer only. Do come back later for updated information about this route."

Didn't they finalise their plans for Corsica (and maybe some other summer-only routes) yet?

But as always with these kind of leisure routes, it's a matter of trial and error and also changing trends. Some succeeded very well (such as Malta and Sevilla) others did just good and others didn't seem to catch up with expectations. The fact that they launch a new selection of these kind of routes next summer (and announce them so early for SN standards) shows that they must have confidence in operating a high range of leisure summer-only routes.

Though I like the additions of Riga (this winter), Billund and St.Petersburg the most. They have more a mixed character of both business and leisure traffic.

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

When looking at the booking engine, I can't see Bari, Cagliari and Montpellier anymore
It's unfortunate SN would'nt fly Montpellier anymore. I mentioned this destination at work and some colleagues for sure were about to book,but now it's not available... Maybe JAF can fill the gap with their E-190's then from BRU...and/or ANR/OST ;) .
GRTZ

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

FLYAIR10 wrote: It's unfortunate SN would'nt fly Montpellier anymore. I mentioned this destination at work and some colleagues for sure were about to book,but now it's not available... Maybe JAF can fill the gap with their E-190's then from BRU...and/or ANR/OST ;) .
GRTZ
You can tell your colleagues that Ryanair fly Charleroi-Montpellier all year round.
This winter, the flights to Montpellier are on tuesday, thursday and saturday.
On monday, wednesday, friday and sunday, Ryanair fly to Nîmes, not far away.
No need to wait for SN or JAF !
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

I just answered my own question about Corsica, all 4 destinations will be flown as scheduled flights (flights can be booked through the website now as well). 5 weekly flights to the island, all on Saterday except for one weekly flight to Figari on Wednesday. Figari is served 2 times a week (Avro) on wednesday and Saterday (except in August it seems to be 1 per week with only a flight on Saterday). Ajaccio (A319), Calvi (Avro) and Bastia (A319) are all 3 once a week on Saterday.
All flights operated between May and October, exact period can be slightly different for each destination.

Corsica Travel is one of SN's partners on these flights (just like this summer I believe):
http://www.corsicatravel.be/page-transp ... el-nl.html

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Wow, 5 times to Corsica, that's a lot.

I wander why they fly to 4 different destinations, would it not be cheaper to choose one of those ... The distances are not so big between those 4 ...

Danny

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

nordikcam wrote:
I do not really understand why there no flight between BRU and LUX...LG maybe...but SN !
One of the reasons is probably that e.g. the EU institutions do not allow anymore flights below 400 km (in the '90-ies this was still possible). So flights from BRU to AMS, CDG, LUX, ... are not allowed anymore. FRA is allowed (it is around 400 km I think). Also European projects should respect these rules. And those together would be a very big share of people that potentially would take these flights (Luxembourg has many EU institutions - e.g. administrative servcies of the parliament, Eurostat, ...). I don't know whether the transfer pax alone would make this route viable ...

Just my two cents ...

Danny

Thomaaas

Post by Thomaaas »

DannyVDB wrote:
nordikcam wrote:
One of the reasons is probably that e.g. the EU institutions do not allow anymore flights below 400 km (in the '90-ies this was still possible). So flights from BRU to AMS, CDG, LUX, ... are not allowed anymore. FRA is allowed (it is around 400 km I think). Also European projects should respect these rules. And those together would be a very big share of people that potentially would take these flights (Luxembourg has many EU institutions - e.g. administrative servcies of the parliament, Eurostat, ...). I don't know whether the transfer pax alone would make this route viable ...

Just my two cents ...

Danny
Doesnt seem correct to me, there are flights from BRU to AMS and CDG...

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

But those are routes existing for years .. I think he means no new routes below 400km may be opened.
Citybird
The flying dream