D R Congo creates an airline with Air France-KLM: Congo Airways

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: D R Congo creates an airline with Air France-KLM: Congo Airways

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways secures AOC ahead of international debut

Congo Airways (CGA, Kinshasa N'Djili) has secured its Air Operators Certificate (AOC) from the Congolese civil aviation authority (Autorité de l'Aviation Civile du Congo - AACC).

In 2013, the AACC embarked on a large-scale, IATA-backed recertification programme of all locally-registered carriers in a bid to improve the Democratic Republic of Congo's overall aviation safety record and to extricate the country from the European Union's banned operators' list.

In its capacity as a state-owned national carrier, Congo Airways' certification according to IATA and ICAO norms shows the DRC's commitment to improving its safety culture, Minister of Transport Justin Kalumba said. He added that Kinshasa has set itself the target of removing itself from the blacklist by the end of the first quarter of next year.

As it stands, the acquisition of an AOC will now allow Congo Airways to formally apply for IATA membership and also begin international operations.

Launched late last year, Congo Airways operates two A320-200s and two Dash 8-400s on flights to Lubumbashi, Gemena, Kisangani, Goma, Kananga, Kindu, and Mbandaka from its Kinshasa N'Djili hub.

Source: ch-aviation
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways to start A320-200 service from Kinshasa to Johannesburg on 01 November 2016.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Things don't look so good anymore for Congo Airways: the airline laid off 30 of its 400 staff members due to financial problems. It will continue layoffs until 250 staff remain.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways expects its fleet to reach 10 aircraft by end of 2020, with two deliveries per year. Carrier is considering stretched A321s, otherwise it will retain its existing types. In relation, the D.R.Congo just ratified the Cape Town Convention.

Congo Airways expects to launch regional services in 4Q 2016, with initial routes to Johannesburg, Luanda and Pointe Noire, followed in 2017 by Douala and Libreville. A little more ambitious than Korongo...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways is in advanced negotiations over an order for several brand new narrow-bodies, with the aim being to deploy 10 single-aisle aircraft by end of the decade. Carrier is considering A320 Family aircraft, including stretched A321s. Carrier is also in talks with lessors and manufacturers to acquire two wide-bodies by 2018 for a “standalone project”.

Congo Airways is in talks with prospective investors about a 20-25% part-privatisation of the flag-carrier. Ethiopian Airlines and other carriers are reportedly interested.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

...La compagnie aérienne nationale Congo Airways a décidé de réduire de 17% les salaires de tous ses agents et cadres. Dans une note de service adressée le 25 janvier à tout le personnel, la direction de la compagnie justifie cette mesure par des difficultés de trésorerie auxquelles la société est confrontée...

Source - more info:
http://www.radiookapi.net/2017/01/30/ac ... ses-agents

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways decided to entrust AFI KLM E&M (who else? :) )with C-Checks for the two A320s that the airline operates on domestic routes. The C-checks are scheduled for this spring and will take place in Morocco.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways is in talks with Boeing and Airbus to acquire two to three widebodies for its planned intercontinental services beginning in 2020. Carrier plans to reach a fleet of six to eight narrowbodies and two to three widebodies by 2020. In short term, carrier is to wet lease an A320 from mid-April 2018, as dry lease would take too long.

Competition in view for Brussels Airlines on BRU-FIH ?

In other news, Congo Airways is looking to secure an interline or codeshare agreement with ASKY (Togo), Ethiopian Airlines, Kenya Airways and South African Airways.

Congo Airways plans to begin cargo operations from 2018. Carrier is in talks with Astral Aviation (Kenya) and Ethiopian Airlines over possible joint cargo flights from 2017.

Congo Airways plans to begin regional services by July 2017, thus expanding its network to include Bujumbura, Johannesburg, Luanda, Douala, Entebbe, Libreville, and Nairobi.

Congo Airways still needs several tranches of funding, and is searching for a long-term minority strategic investor, offering a stake of 15-20%. Carrier is also planning to create several 100% owned subsidiary companies in effort to be transparent with its core business.

Source: aviator.aero
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways looks to expand its fleet over the next few years, likely with A320s, A321s or B737-800s, to aid in regional service expansion to Douala, Bujumbura, Nairobi, and Dar es Salaam. Carrier said fleet expansion depends on finances and does not exclude the option of outside funding. Long-haul service is also in the works.

Very ambitious! Let's see how it will unfold...
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Congo Airways issued an RFP seeking a partner for air cargo operations. Bids due 29 December 2017.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

an RFP
Request for Pun ???

(no unexplained codes or abbreviations, please, please ... Or if you really must, set up a glossary for them)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 18:53
an RFP
Request for Pun ???

(no unexplained codes or abbreviations, please, please ... Or if you really must, set up a glossary for them)
RFP is common knowledge imho, Request For Proposal

jan_olieslagers

Dankoewel, meneer! :) But no, it is not common, at least not to poor little me, not a professional in commercial air transport...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 20:07 Dankoewel, meneer! :) But no, it is not common, at least not to poor little me, not a professional in commercial air transport...
It is very much in use in Belgium right now, for the replacement of the F-16s ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Hm. That does merit a smile :) but still, I thought there were more than enough proposals there, far more than budget allows for ;) ; No need for any request!

Still, allow me to repeat my humble plea to not use unexplained codes, abbreviations, acronyms &c.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 20:22 Hm. That does merit a smile :) but still, I thought there were more than enough proposals there, far more than budget allows for ;) ; No need for any request!

Still, allow me to repeat my humble plea to not use unexplained codes, abbreviations, acronyms &c.
;)

OK.

Is OK okay ??

convair

Post by convair »

And D R Congo is supposed to mean Democratic (!!! :lol: ) Republic (not hereditary :lol: ) Congo.

KLM: Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij (surely this one was not needed as all avgeeks know!)

And, btw (by the way):

Alitalia= Always late in takeoff, always late in arrival ;)

Sabena= Such a bl.... experience never again ;)

Lufthansa= Let us f...orget it! ;) ;)

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

I learned a number of acronyms when dealing with the USAF so many years back and one I like is SNAFU.
Situation Normal, All F..'ed Up.

Could it be appropriate when talking about Congo Airways ?

Two weeks ago I saw in Jeune Afrique Magazine an AAC (Appel à Candidature ;) ), for a "Directeur des Opérations Aériennes" at Congo Airways.
Contract duration : two (2) years, renewable with a probationary period of 6 months. Sound tempting. :?

I noted that the profile sought includes "Commandant de Bord / Instructeur sur A319/320/321, B737-NG and B767/757.
Could this hint at something for the long haul intentions, or just because these are aircraft types that the writer knew about :mrgreen:

But wait, CGA had a Director of Operations, no? Xavier Bruyndonckx, former pilot at SN.
Has he left?
Well KiloBravo243, Luchtzak/aviation24 member, tweeted on 08DEC :

KiloBravo243‏ @kilobravo243 · Dec 8 :
Ca ne va pas bien chez @Congo_Airways.
Apres avoir perdu son DG Adjoint, #JeromeMaillet qui est alle rejoindre @FlyAirSenegal , CGA vient de perdre son directeur des operations #Xavierbruyndonckx. Les deux personnes qui avaient une experience et credibilite ds le domaine...

Oopsie Daisy.
If both these guys left, it may sound a bit cynical to wish CGA a "Happy New Year".
:mrgreen:

H.A.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

sn26567 wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 20:18
jan_olieslagers wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 20:07 Dankoewel, meneer! :) But no, it is not common, at least not to poor little me, not a professional in commercial air transport...
It is very much in use in Belgium right now, for the replacement of the F-16s ;)
RFP isn't limited to the commercial air transport, it's used all over the world in all sorts of companies. When I was a fleet manager / head CAPEX buyer (CAPEX = capital expenditure thus investments like cars, machinery, buildings, etc..., the opposite of CAPEX is OPEX = operational expenditure which covers all costs for operating), I used an RFP sometimes when I wanted offers for a certain amount of vehicles, cranes, etc... RFP's are useful when you need multiple prices, most companies have a policy that for expenses above a certain level you need multiple prices to compare so you write once an RFP and then you send it to x amount of companies. You can even tailor an RFP that only one can comply with all needs, something that is actually commonly done in the public sector when they have a preference but are bound by law to send out an RFP.

Sorry André but I might have to slightly correct you on that one, the F16 replacement isn't handled by an RFP but rather by an RFGP, a request for governmental proposal as the Belgian government like to call it but that's virtually the same as an RFT, a request for tender. (RFP's are mostly used by the private sector (or low level public sector like cities) while an RFT is used by governments and is more strict).

:mrgreen:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Thanks a lot for these interesting updates. But can someone explain to me (a humble Flemish peasant) what this abbreviation means: "...&c..."
jan_olieslagers wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 20:22 Still, allow me to repeat my humble plea to not use unexplained codes, abbreviations, acronyms &c.