Europe's cheapest airlines....

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Europe's cheapest airlines....

Post by Inquirer »

According to an article in de Standaard, the top 3 cheapest airlines in Europe are:
Pegasus
wizzair
Blue Air

Ryanair falls out of the top 3 because of it's many fees and supplementary taxes...

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20140410 ... o-a-friend

Mirror

Re: Europe's cheapest airlines....

Post by Mirror »

Didn't know Turkey is part of Europe...
Mirror

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Citybird
The flying dream

regi

Post by regi »

Before Sean reacts, I don't know if it is 100% correct to name the 3 cheapest airlines, and say Ryanair is not among them. Neither is Brussels , LH or BA.
Because of the vocabulary used by Ryanair - and others - it may seem that they promote themselves as the cheapest - what they don't. They just say this:
Ryanair is Europe’s favourite low fares airline

What Turkey concerns: geographically speaking there is a part of it , on this side of the Bosporus, which is on European soil, so, yes, it can be considered as a European country. Despite its capital is in Asia.

The same controversy exists about Israel which participates e.g. at the Eurosong festival.( and won it !)
But that is all political BS .

b-west

Post by b-west »

Off topic: and nobody ever brings up the same question with Russia... which practically covers most of Asia but most would still consider it a European country.

On topic: The difference between the third and Ryanair, the fourth on the list is only €1, almost a draw I'd say. I guess low labor costs in their home country also helps the top 3 airlines in keeping the prices low. Especially Pegasus, as I don't think they have any bases outside Turkey

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

About Turkey the largest city is in Europe.

About Pegasus: SAW is in Asia, IST in Europe.
Russia is Europe.
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Here is the original article from WhichAirline
http://www.whichairline.com/news/Battle ... e-cheapest
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

regi wrote:Before Sean reacts, I don't know if it is 100% correct to name the 3 cheapest airlines, and say Ryanair is not among them.
FWIW- I didn't say anything about ryan air, I simply provided a very brief English summary of the news report in 'De Standaard', including the reference to said irish company??? :?

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

quixoticguide wrote:About Turkey the largest city is in Europe.

About Pegasus: SAW is in Asia, IST in Europe.
Russia is Europe.
Excuse me? Just something is on the northern hemisphere, West of China,East of the US and south of the north pole doesn't mean it's Europe. Just to get this discussion a little fact based: http://europe.eu mentions Turkey as canidate EU member. Russia is not even mentionned. Discussion closed. It would be a different discussion if you would be talking about the european continent though.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Just noticed something funny. I regularly visit family in Mallorca so I just used the site which published these findings (whichairine.be) to compare the rates. It also gives you a visual representation of your flight duration. As far as I know, both Ryanair and JAF use the same equipment on these routes (B737NG), yet according to the RYR timetable the flight takes 2h10, according to JAF 2h30...

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Well then technically Pegasus is based in Asia I would say more then Europe though...
@TeddyBAir : Well Ryanair already flies slower then any other airline so some companies seem to cheat even more on the flight times then them ;) Anyway flight time also depends on the Arrival/departure time as an approach into palma can take up to 20 minutes more easily depending on the time of the day.
Mirror

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

It would be interesting to know how they have computed that "average price".

. The stated price is always for one-way international short-haul flights in the cheapest tariff operated in October/November 2013.

- thus, only short-haul international flights; no long-haul flights nor flights inside one country.
- what is a "tariff operated in oct/nov" ?
Is it the cheapest tariff to be found during those two months ? Or Is it the tariff for flights operated in those months ? At which time : weekdays, week-ends, holidays ?
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

I wonder also where Jetairfly is in this price comparsion, From experience they can have some good prices also. Seems more rubbish article again.
Mirror

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Mirror wrote:@TeddyBAir : Well Ryanair already flies slower then any other airline so some companies seem to cheat even more on the flight times then them ;)
Speeds depend on the cost index entered in the FMS which varies according to the flight. Can you confirm that they fly at lower cost index then? Seems weird for an airline that wants to maximise the utilisation rate of their fleet by maximising the amount of legs flown...anyway, curious to see whether you can back that statement

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Many companies use variable cost indexes, ryanair uses a very low one which is fixed for the whole network (I believe only easyjet flies slower) Descend speeds with ryanair are even below 250kts which is rather slow to do the whole descend...
Mirror

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

In July last year :

Now (Ryanair) is urging its crew to cut flying speeds, adding around two minutes to every hour in the air.
Howard Miller, chief financial officer, told the Financial Times: “We’re flying slightly slower, but what we’re seeing is we’re burning less fuel. Fuel is our single biggest cost, so we have a proportionally bigger problem than everybody else from these higher fuel prices.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... costs.html
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Mirror wrote:I wonder also where Jetairfly is in this price comparsion, From experience they can have some good prices also. Seems more rubbish article again.
They probably had not enough reviews for Jetairfly to put them in the list, although they give compliments to Jetairfly for their zero Euro surcharge for ski equipment:
http://www.whichairline.com/news/Flying ... NFOGRAPHIC

By the way: my compliments to De Standaard, who today has found this price study from October 2013...

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

What I personally find most remarkable in the list is the small price gap between Ryanair and Easyjet, given the second one is operating from main airports only and has a much more corporate business profile.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:According to an article in de Standaard, the top 3 cheapest airlines in Europe are:
Pegasus
wizzair
Blue Air

Ryanair falls out of the top 3 because of it's many fees and supplementary taxes...

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20140410 ... o-a-friend
First: no wonder with eastern european labour cost
Second: since october 2013 a lot of fees and taxes have been halved or more, so again, this is outdated :roll:

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote:
Inquirer wrote:Ryanair falls out of the top 3 because of it's many fees and supplementary taxes...
First: no wonder with eastern european labour cost
Second: since october 2013 a lot of fees and taxes have been halved or more, so again, this is outdated
First : Eastern European labour cost is not an exclusivity for Wizzair. There are lot's of Svetlana's, working as cabin crew in Western Europe.

Second: the only additional surcharges that WhichAirline added, were the "...transaction fee and checked baggage fee for 20 kg bag...". WhichAirline did not include all other Ryanair's penalties and surcharges in their calculation for the above list. And actually, didn't the surcharges for luggage went up since October 2013?