Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 is missing

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

shockcooling

Re: Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with flight M

Post by shockcooling »

Hey flanker, according to your map, it might have been heading towards Xinjiang ... at least reading this article, where they say a chinese passenger took some flight training in Sweden. Interesting :|
http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-mal ... hvifh.html

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

One area no one is talking about... cargo. Maybe VAL , weapons, radioactive , etc

jasonSeattle

Post by jasonSeattle »

Round up of what the CNN news agency says it knows: "Malaysia Flight 370: Amid a sea of questions, 30 of the most compelling" http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/15/world/asi ... questions/

tsv

Post by tsv »

convair wrote:Seems a very plausible theory. Anyway, let's hope you're right and that the pax and crew are safe "somewhere"!

But why not hijack a KUL-Bombay flight then?
Plausible theory? Random dribble at best.

Safe to say at this point the only thing known for sure is that nobody has a clue where this Aircraft is or what happened to it. But it's not going to be found sitting in the Jokerman's Secret Hanger in Evil Land Central waiting to be activated for it's next mission. I suspect a Ship or Fishing Boat will eventually find some debris. Whether we will still be standing when that day arrives is debatable.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

While some people are still in denial, the Malaysian PM has confirmed that the working theory is that the aircraft has been hijacked and flown for almost 7 hours from its last known location.

Hardly drible... With all the evidence there is now, the most likely scenario is that it has landed somewhere else.
What makes it nonsense in you opinion?
Safe to say at this point the only thing known for sure is that nobody has a clue where this Aircraft is or what happened to it.
Given that it's a criminal investigation, don't expect authorities to share everything with us. I'm pretty sure they have a good idea of where to look.

The plains of the Taklamakan desert also looks like full of suitable landing area's.

http://s1.lemde.fr/image/2010/07/14/534 ... -makan.jpg

The Xianjing theory is very plausible IMO. It's too much coincidence that there's a guy from Xianjing who has followed sim lessons and that it corresponds with the region where the aircraft could have sent its last signals.
If they didn't hide the B772 for re-use, they could just have gotten rid of it by burning it and burrying it in sand, to remove all evidence.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Some 25 countries are now involved in a vast search operation for the missing airliner that disappeared over a week ago: among them, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, China, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia and France, which administers a scattering of islands deep in the southern Indian Ocean.

Investigators are trying to obtain more radar and satellite data from any of the countries that Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 may have passed over. They are also asking countries to provide assistance in the search for the plane, including satellite data and analysis, ground-search capabilities, and maritime and air assets.

This investigation may reveal shortcomings in the radar coverage and surveillance capabilities of some of these countries...

If the plane has landed (or crashed) in the northern corridor, it should have been seen, but in the southern corridor there is only the southern Indian Ocean where it could disappear without anybody seeing, hearing or noticing. According to most recent official U.S. assessment, it is thought most likely the plane had headed south into the Indian Ocean, where it would presumably have run out of fuel and crashed. In which case, good luck to find it...!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Jonasti

Post by Jonasti »

Found a document on smartcockpit.com that descibes the communication of a Boeing 777. On the first page is a picture of an B777 of malaysia airlines. I don't know what to think of this?

caravelle21

Post by caravelle21 »

About 7-7.5 hours flying time from lost transponder contact I stumbled upon 2 remote 'international' airports with runways that a 777 should be capable of landing at (or take off from!): BSA (HCMF) and SCT (OYSQ), to deliver either hostages and/or cargo, or for whatever reason. Quite a remote part of the world with limited international primary radar surveillance I would guess. What would you say?

hvs89

Post by hvs89 »

Jonasti wrote:Found a document on smartcockpit.com that descibes the communication of a Boeing 777. On the first page is a picture of an B777 of malaysia airlines. I don't know what to think of this?
Document last modified in 2008... :roll:

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

What's the best place to hide such a big plane with malaysian colours ... That's the real question.

And the answer is maybe.... Malaysia (or another location where those normally land on a daily basis)
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nine days of search and uncertainty in one single page of The Washington Post

André
ex Sabena #26567

hvs89

Post by hvs89 »

Here is a bigger version of the illustration André posted:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... aphic.html

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks, Hadrien!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

"...The satellite signals could also have been sent while the aircraft was on the ground as long as there was electrical power available..."

Not my remark, but a quote from today's update on Aviation Herald

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Passenger wrote:"...The satellite signals could also have been sent while the aircraft was on the ground as long as there was electrical power available..."

Not my remark, but a quote from today's update on Aviation Herald
This was said on today's press conference.

caravelle21

Post by caravelle21 »

andorra-airport wrote:One area no one is talking about... cargo. Maybe VAL , weapons, radioactive , etc
And what if the unimaginable is the case and this is only a part of an even more evil plan and somebody needs a real large jet for some reason?

Why would someone hijack a plane like this without demanding anything for over a week now. It's cargo could be a reason, definitely, but weapons or radioactive materials as suggested would be difficult to transport illegally on a passenger jet. Although there have been examples of it in the past (eg. SAA295) it is not something I would expect from a country like Malaysia at all.

But what if someone planned, for example, to load it with something horrific and use it as a stand-in for a harmless commercial flight. Judging from actions in the past, Europe, Israel or the US could be the most likely targets. In that case it would make more sense that the plane would be temporarily stored west of the Indian ocean rather than south.

I surely hope that I'm all wrong and just carried away by my imagination. I really hope they find the plane soon, or what's left of it..!
If it crashed, I wonder if the FDR/CVR were still functioning if so many other systems were switched off.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

caravelle21 wrote:But what if someone planned, for example, to load it with something horrific and use it as a stand-in for a harmless commercial flight. Judging from actions in the past, Europe, Israel or the US could be the most likely targets. In that case it would make more sense that the plane would be temporarily stored west of the Indian ocean rather than south.
Another possible use suggested by a US House representative today: send it as a cruise missile on the intended target!
André
ex Sabena #26567

RTM

Post by RTM »

I read elswhere that there was an anomaly about the climb...
Usually, MH370 climbs and levels off at FL390 or on FL370 but then cruise climbs to FL390. On the fatefull night however, it only leveled off at FL350...

If true, what would be the reason? Coincinence? Or maybe heavy loaded (valuable maybe?)... Could be interesting to know what the cargo load was...

FlightMate

Post by FlightMate »

multiple reasons possible:

wind trade-off (e.g. more tailwind at FL350 compared to 370)
Heavier weight due, like you say, to cargo or to extra fuel carried on.
Traffic already at FL370